J C Calvarese
Aug 25, 2004
John Reimer
Aug 25, 2004
Sean Kelly
Aug 25, 2004
John Reimer
August 24, 2004
Where / how would I best go about getting the masm386 and macros.asm that is needed to build Phobos on Windows?

Thanks,

- Dave

August 24, 2004
Dave wrote:
> Where / how would I best go about getting the masm386 and macros.asm that is
> needed to build Phobos on Windows?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> - Dave

You shouldn't need either of these to build Phobos. Is there a file called "minit.obj" in dmd\src\phobos? If it's missing it might have been deleted accidentily from a make clean. You may need to get another copy from the DMD zip file.

Walter wrote:
"minit.obj is already supplied for those who do not have masm386.exe."

http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/27406

-- 
Justin (a/k/a jcc7)
http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
August 24, 2004
J C Calvarese wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> 
>> Where / how would I best go about getting the masm386 and macros.asm that is
>> needed to build Phobos on Windows?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Dave
> 
> 
> You shouldn't need either of these to build Phobos. Is there a file called "minit.obj" in dmd\src\phobos? If it's missing it might have been deleted accidentily from a make clean. You may need to get another copy from the DMD zip file.
> 
> Walter wrote:
> "minit.obj is already supplied for those who do not have masm386.exe."
> 
> http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/27406

Building Phobos is actually a bit involved in my experience.  I keep the compiler in a different directory so I have to change phobos/win32.mak and phobos/internal/gc to reflect that (the DMD line right at the top).  I also need to comment out this bit:

minit.obj : internal\minit.asm
	$(CC) -c internal\minit.asm

so make doesn't try to build minit.obj.  It tries to built it on my machine even when the file is already present.  Then I need to manually compile phobos/internal/gc and *then* compile phobos/win32.mak.

I've actually been meaning to ask Walter to edit the scripts so the dm and dmd paths are variables set at the top of the makefile, but I'm sure he has better things to do with his time :)

Sean
August 24, 2004
Sean Kelly wrote:
> J C Calvarese wrote:
> 
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>>> Where / how would I best go about getting the masm386 and macros.asm that is
>>> needed to build Phobos on Windows?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> - Dave
>>
>>
>>
>> You shouldn't need either of these to build Phobos. Is there a file called "minit.obj" in dmd\src\phobos? If it's missing it might have been deleted accidentily from a make clean. You may need to get another copy from the DMD zip file.
>>
>> Walter wrote:
>> "minit.obj is already supplied for those who do not have masm386.exe."
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/27406
> 
> 
> Building Phobos is actually a bit involved in my experience.  I keep the 

I shouldn't have sugarcoated the build process.

A while back, I ended up searching the net for masm386.exe. The sad thing is even when I found a file by that name, Phobos still wouldn't build with it. :(

Another time, Borland's make was earlier in my path than DM's make was. Apparently, the makefile formats are incompatible. Oops.

So you could say that building Phobos been tricky for me, too. It got to the point where I avoid re-building it.

> compiler in a different directory so I have to change phobos/win32.mak and phobos/internal/gc to reflect that (the DMD line right at the top).  I also need to comment out this bit:
> 
> minit.obj : internal\minit.asm
>     $(CC) -c internal\minit.asm
> 
> so make doesn't try to build minit.obj.  It tries to built it on my machine even when the file is already present.  Then I need to manually compile phobos/internal/gc and *then* compile phobos/win32.mak.

I'm still fuzzy on how make works. I thought if the file was already there (such as minit.obj) and the source wasn't newer, it wouldn't try to make another. But maybe that doesn't apply if the source isn't there. Anyway, I guess I'm wrong on that. Too bad the makefile is so targeted for the way Walter does stuff. All the rest of us have to do it the hard way. :(

> I've actually been meaning to ask Walter to edit the scripts so the dm and dmd paths are variables set at the top of the makefile, but I'm sure he has better things to do with his time :)

You could try posting an improved version on the newsgroup, but we all know how quickly Walter incorporates other people's code. ;)

> 
> 
> Sean

-- 
Justin (a/k/a jcc7)
August 24, 2004
Thanks for the info. and quick replies!

It looks like I already ran into just about everything mentioned below, including the relative path to Borland make <g>

In the process I did a make clean which removed minit.obj.

I'll just grab it from the zip and I should be good to go.

- Dave

J C Calvarese wrote:

> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> J C Calvarese wrote:
>> 
>>> Dave wrote:
>>>
>>>> Where / how would I best go about getting the masm386 and macros.asm
>>>> that is
>>>> needed to build Phobos on Windows?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> - Dave
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> You shouldn't need either of these to build Phobos. Is there a file called "minit.obj" in dmd\src\phobos? If it's missing it might have been deleted accidentily from a make clean. You may need to get another copy from the DMD zip file.
>>>
>>> Walter wrote:
>>> "minit.obj is already supplied for those who do not have masm386.exe."
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/27406
>> 
>> 
>> Building Phobos is actually a bit involved in my experience.  I keep the
> 
> I shouldn't have sugarcoated the build process.
> 
> A while back, I ended up searching the net for masm386.exe. The sad thing is even when I found a file by that name, Phobos still wouldn't build with it. :(
> 
> Another time, Borland's make was earlier in my path than DM's make was. Apparently, the makefile formats are incompatible. Oops.
> 
> So you could say that building Phobos been tricky for me, too. It got to the point where I avoid re-building it.
> 
>> compiler in a different directory so I have to change phobos/win32.mak
>> and phobos/internal/gc to reflect that (the DMD line right at the top).
>>  I also need to comment out this bit:
>> 
>> minit.obj : internal\minit.asm
>>     $(CC) -c internal\minit.asm
>> 
>> so make doesn't try to build minit.obj.  It tries to built it on my machine even when the file is already present.  Then I need to manually compile phobos/internal/gc and *then* compile phobos/win32.mak.
> 
> I'm still fuzzy on how make works. I thought if the file was already there (such as minit.obj) and the source wasn't newer, it wouldn't try to make another. But maybe that doesn't apply if the source isn't there. Anyway, I guess I'm wrong on that. Too bad the makefile is so targeted for the way Walter does stuff. All the rest of us have to do it the hard way. :(
> 
>> I've actually been meaning to ask Walter to edit the scripts so the dm and dmd paths are variables set at the top of the makefile, but I'm sure he has better things to do with his time :)
> 
> You could try posting an improved version on the newsgroup, but we all know how quickly Walter incorporates other people's code. ;)
> 
>> 
>> 
>> Sean
> 
> 

August 25, 2004
Masm used to be free with the windows driver sdk, but I don't know if it's still available in that form.  I know you can get a version of masm included with masm32 at www.masm32.com, but I'm not sure if that one is a valid/legal use of masm (looks okay to me, though).

Otherwise, it would be great if nasm could do the compiling here.  It's a pretty mature opensource assembler for x86 CPU's.
August 25, 2004
John Reimer wrote:
> Masm used to be free with the windows driver sdk, but I don't know if it's still available in that form.  I know you can get a version of masm included with masm32 at www.masm32.com, but I'm not sure if that one is a valid/legal use of masm (looks okay to me, though).

I've got that installed, but I think the file is called ml.exe in that distro.  It may work anyway, but I haven't gotten around to experimenting.

Sean
August 25, 2004
Sean Kelly wrote:
> John Reimer wrote:
> 
>> Masm used to be free with the windows driver sdk, but I don't know if it's still available in that form.  I know you can get a version of masm included with masm32 at www.masm32.com, but I'm not sure if that one is a valid/legal use of masm (looks okay to me, though).
> 
> 
> I've got that installed, but I think the file is called ml.exe in that distro.  It may work anyway, but I haven't gotten around to experimenting.
> 
> Sean

You are correct.  It's called ml, but running it gives this message:

-----

Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler Version 6.14.8444
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1981-1997.  All rights reserved.

usage: ML [ options ] filelist [ /link linkoptions]
Run "ML /help" or "ML /?" for more info

-----

I guess it must be an old masm version, but perhaps it's all that's needed to do the job.
August 28, 2004
Dave wrote:
> Thanks for the info. and quick replies!
> 
> It looks like I already ran into just about everything mentioned below,
> including the relative path to Borland make <g>
> 
> In the process I did a make clean which removed minit.obj.
> 
> I'll just grab it from the zip and I should be good to go.
> 
> - Dave

Can anyone remind how I'm supposed to get past this error message?

Error: don't know how to make 'internal\gc\dmgc.lib'

Did screw something up again?

-- 
Justin (a/k/a jcc7)
August 29, 2004
J C Calvarese wrote:
> Can anyone remind how I'm supposed to get past this error message?
> 
> Error: don't know how to make 'internal\gc\dmgc.lib'

Nevermind, I figured it out myself with a hint from http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/9898.

So if I run the makefile in dmd\src\phobos\internal\gc first, then I could run the makefile in dmd\src\phobos. Whew!

-- 
Justin (a/k/a jcc7)