January 02
On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 04:12:29 UTC, Murilo wrote:
> Here is the link
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Il1xLN8b5rzghYLXTQqq2apv5YMKv7rx/view?usp=sharing

I can't pass the first screen with a static photo and music. Help?


January 02
On 1/2/21 2:10 PM, Murilo wrote:
> On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 05:43:48 UTC, James Blachly wrote:
>> On 1/1/21 11:12 PM, Murilo wrote:
>>> Here is the link
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Il1xLN8b5rzghYLXTQqq2apv5YMKv7rx/view?usp=sharing 
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Bro I would be shocked if people are excited to run a mystery binary downloaded from Google Drive.
>>
>> The ELF binary does contain arsd symbols, and at least VMs and Unix systems give us privilege and resource isolation safety these days. Still, why not source code on Github?
> 
> The reason why I won't show the source code is because I don't want anyone hacking the game or find out the surprises hidden in the game, I want the game to be a mystery, you have to play it to know what is gonna happen. I also don't want anyone stealing my idea.

I promise I don't mean to be rude, just "confrontationally instructive." =)

But as far as the game, the strings are all in the binary:

```
Alabaster Amphora
Beautiful souvenir from Silmaria, you smell hippocrene water.
Those are delicious, and healthy.
Those are shiny gold Dracmas, use it well.
This is a cheap weapon which you can throw at the enemy.
Someone has been looking for this since 2003.
This should be 100 Brazilian Reals.
Eating this might teach me to speak Chinese.
It says Davy Jones on the label of this product.
```
(incidentally it look like a funny game to be sure)

And as far as the code, you have somehow imported the source text of one of your files into the binary:

```
    // Starting items
    ItemForSale alabasterAmphora = ItemForSale("Alabaster Amphora", "Beautiful souvenir from Silmaria, you smell hippocrene water.",

Image.fromMemoryImage(loadImageFromMemory(cast(immutable ubyte[]) import("items/alabaster amphora.jpeg"))),

Image.fromMemoryImage(loadImageFromMemory(cast(immutable ubyte[]) import("icons/icon alabaster amphora.jpeg"))),
                                               200, false),
                fruits = ItemForSale("Fruits", "Those are delicious, and healthy.",
```

Anyway, my point is -- try to not to worry to much that others will steal your code or your idea. A determined adversary will do what he wants.

My final suggestion is that -- given this is a D programming enthusiasts' newsgroup, where we are interested in seeing D code, you might get great feedback on the code itself.

Kind regards


January 02
On 1/2/21 4:18 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 09:01:17PM +0000, Murilo via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> [...]
>> It's because I don't people to know the spoilers, so no one will see
>> the source code.
...
> Providing source code is mainly for convenience to people who might want
> to compile it for platforms you do not have (thus spreading the word
> about your program).
> 

Yes, like me for example. My only graphical systems are Mac, whereas my linux machines are all headless. Sadly I have not been able to try the game.


January 03
On Sunday, 3 January 2021 at 02:42:46 UTC, James Blachly wrote:
> My final suggestion is that -- given this is a D programming enthusiasts' newsgroup, where we are interested in seeing D code, you might get great feedback on the code itself.
>
> Kind regards

How did you have access to the source code? Did you use a decompiler?

January 03
On 1/3/21 1:31 PM, Murilo wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 January 2021 at 02:42:46 UTC, James Blachly wrote:
>> My final suggestion is that -- given this is a D programming enthusiasts' newsgroup, where we are interested in seeing D code, you might get great feedback on the code itself.
>>
>> Kind regards
> 
> How did you have access to the source code? Did you use a decompiler?
> 

`strings Game |less`
January 05
On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 22:49:19 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 04:12:29 UTC, Murilo wrote:
>> Here is the link
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Il1xLN8b5rzghYLXTQqq2apv5YMKv7rx/view?usp=sharing
>
> I can't pass the first screen with a static photo and music. Help?

I've just uploaded the version 2.0 which is way better. Check it out.
January 05
On Tuesday, 5 January 2021 at 21:42:49 UTC, Murilo wrote:
> On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 22:49:19 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>> On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 04:12:29 UTC, Murilo wrote:
>>> Here is the link
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Il1xLN8b5rzghYLXTQqq2apv5YMKv7rx/view?usp=sharing
>>
>> I can't pass the first screen with a static photo and music. Help?
>
> I've just uploaded the version 2.0 which is way better. Check it out.

Hello,

Thanks. I've encountered the following problems:
- explored all places but did not solve anything
- I don't see all the text that people are saying in the textbox
- on LOAD, couldn't retrieve my saved game, it crashed

Looks strange and interesting otherwise.
January 06
On 2021-01-02 22:21, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Nope.  Reverse-engineering is a thing.  There's even tools out there to
> automate this stuff.

Or you can try to prevent reverse engineering. This is both an interesting and fun talk [1].

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlUe0TUHOIc

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
January 06
On Tuesday, 5 January 2021 at 23:11:21 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 January 2021 at 21:42:49 UTC, Murilo wrote:
>> On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 22:49:19 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 04:12:29 UTC, Murilo wrote:
>>>> Here is the link
>>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Il1xLN8b5rzghYLXTQqq2apv5YMKv7rx/view?usp=sharing
>>>
>>> I can't pass the first screen with a static photo and music. Help?
>>
>> I've just uploaded the version 2.0 which is way better. Check it out.
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks. I've encountered the following problems:
> - explored all places but did not solve anything
> - I don't see all the text that people are saying in the textbox
> - on LOAD, couldn't retrieve my saved game, it crashed
>
> Looks strange and interesting otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback, I will fix those problems.
February 14
I've just finished the version 3.0 of the game I'm making. It's getting very fun and entertaining. Check it out.
https://madscientisthaven.blogspot.com/2021/01/an-awesome-new-game-for-you-to-have-fun.html
Next ›   Last »
1 2