Thread overview
Waiting on file descriptor/socket *AND* thread messages
Jun 29
ichneumwn
Jun 29
ichneumwn
June 29
Dear all,

Is there some facility in D for a single statement/function call that will wait on both file descriptors, like Socket.select(), and will also wake up when there is something to be receive()'d?

One solution would be to have my main thread use receive() and a helper thread that does the select() call and sends a message to the main thread. That seems a bit of overkill however.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but my google search and search in this thread were fruitless (could be my searching skills)

Cheers

June 29
On 6/29/20 5:14 AM, ichneumwn wrote:
> Dear all,
> 
> Is there some facility in D for a single statement/function call that will wait on both file descriptors, like Socket.select(), and will also wake up when there is something to be receive()'d?

Not in the standard library. Such things require an event framework, because there is no OS-agnostic provided mechanism to sleep on all these things at once.

I recommend looking through code.dlang.org. I found these:

https://code.dlang.org/packages/libasync
https://code.dlang.org/packages/eventcore
https://code.dlang.org/packages/mecca (this seems very underdocumented, but I know it provides such a system)

> 
> One solution would be to have my main thread use receive() and a helper thread that does the select() call and sends a message to the main thread. That seems a bit of overkill however.

I don't know the correct way to solve this, I've done it in the past by creating a file descriptor that can be waited on to wake up the target along with any other file descriptors being waited on.

-Steve
June 29
On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 12:25:16 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 6/29/20 5:14 AM, ichneumwn wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Not in the standard library. Such things require an event framework, because there is no OS-agnostic provided mechanism to sleep on all these things at once.
>
> I recommend looking through code.dlang.org. I found these:
>
> https://code.dlang.org/packages/libasync
> https://code.dlang.org/packages/eventcore
> https://code.dlang.org/packages/mecca (this seems very underdocumented, but I know it provides such a system)
>
>> [...]
>
> I don't know the correct way to solve this, I've done it in the past by creating a file descriptor that can be waited on to wake up the target along with any other file descriptors being waited on.
>
> -Steve

Thanks for the pointers Steve!