February 19, 2012
Walter:

> (Also, having a large number of exception types is going to produce a lot of program size bloat. Remember, for EVERY class type, you've got the vtbl[], the .init data, and the TypeInfo. Going to town on exception types can really add this up.)

To improve this discussion a small benchmark is useful to see how much bloat this actually causes.

Bye,
bearophile
February 19, 2012
Sean Cavanaug:

> In the Von Neumann model this has been made difficult by the stack itself.  Thinking of exceptions as they are currently implemented in Java, C++, D, etc is automatically artificially constraining how they need to work.

It's interesting to take a look at how "exceptions" are designed in Lisp: http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/beyond-exception-handling-conditions-and-restarts.html

Bye,
bearophile
February 19, 2012
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message news:mailman.556.1329612309.20196.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
>
> I can't believe something this simple has to be explained so elaborately. I thought all of us here knew how to use OO??
>

My thoughts exactly. Andrei is a very intelligent, very capable programmer, and I do have a lot of respect for him, but it seems that every month or so, we have to collectively teach him something else about basic programming to ensure D doesn't veer off the rails into crazyville.

February 19, 2012
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>catching by type is most of the time useless.

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote...
> I should note that the above does little in the way of putting an argument to the table. It appeals to subjective qualifications ("poorly designed", "well designed")

/facepalm

Just once, could you be as incredibly pedantic with your own arguments as you are with everyone else's?

February 19, 2012
"Bernard Helyer" <b.helyer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:npnjfynxdnpykaemlqrm@forum.dlang.org...
> On Sunday, 19 February 2012 at 02:27:07 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 2/18/12 6:28 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>> On Saturday, February 18, 2012 17:53:52 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>> On 2/18/12 5:47 PM, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
>>>>> you are basically arguing against exceptions here
>>>>
>>>> I must have argued my question and point very poorly.
>>>
>>> You definitely seem to be arguing for a single Exception type
>>
>> No.
>
> Yes.
>
> Bernard
>
>
>
> (This game is fun!)
>

No it isn't ;)

February 19, 2012
On 2/18/12 9:50 PM, Bernard Helyer wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 February 2012 at 02:27:07 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 2/18/12 6:28 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>> On Saturday, February 18, 2012 17:53:52 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>> On 2/18/12 5:47 PM, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
>>>>> you are basically arguing against exceptions here
>>>>
>>>> I must have argued my question and point very poorly.
>>>
>>> You definitely seem to be arguing for a single Exception type
>>
>> No.
>
> Yes.

Wait, as the guy who actually has the ground truth, don't I have some sort of priority? I have no interest in lying about this.

Andrei

February 19, 2012
On 2/18/12 10:14 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "H. S. Teoh"<hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx>  wrote in message
> news:mailman.556.1329612309.20196.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
>>
>> I can't believe something this simple has to be explained so
>> elaborately. I thought all of us here knew how to use OO??
>>
>
> My thoughts exactly. Andrei is a very intelligent, very capable programmer,
> and I do have a lot of respect for him, but it seems that every month or so,
> we have to collectively teach him something else about basic programming to
> ensure D doesn't veer off the rails into crazyville.

I knew the day of reckoning would come :o).

Andrei

February 19, 2012
On 2/18/2012 8:08 PM, bearophile wrote:
> To improve this discussion a small benchmark is useful to see how much bloat this actually causes.

It'll increase with reflection and perfect garbage collection.
February 19, 2012
On 2/18/2012 11:07 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/18/2012 8:08 PM, bearophile wrote:
>> To improve this discussion a small benchmark is useful to see how much
>> bloat this actually causes.
>
> It'll increase with reflection and perfect garbage collection.

Are these coming?  :)
February 19, 2012
On 2/18/2012 5:59 PM, Robert Jacques wrote:
> But you _always_ know what went wrong: An unexpected error occurred
> while trying to do X, where X is whatever is inside the try-catch block.
> Exceptions are for exceptional situations...

Not to jump on you in particular for using the phrase "exceptions are for exceptional situations”, but I've always heard people say this in arguments about exceptions vs. returning error codes. Unfortunately those people usually never go on to define what exceptional situations are, so those trying to learn about using exceptions are left no better off. If exceptional cases are like divide-by-zero or hardware failures, then surely a bad parameter to a function is not “exceptional”. Then what? Is out-of-memory exceptional or something you should expect might happen given that memory is finite?

I think of exception handling as tied to contract programming. A function has a specific job that it's supposed to do. If for any reason it cannot do that job successfully, an exception should be thrown. That can include even bad parameters (although if you have bad parameters to internal functions I'd think that is a design bug and could be handled by asserts). Look at the .NET library; it seems to work this way. So I think the term 'exceptional situations' has been kind of useless.

> and not supposed to be used as
> a form of out of band information return (or at least that's what every
> programming book tells me).

If what you mean is that exceptions should not be used to return information when the function is successful, I agree. But it can be used to return extra details about errors when a function fails.

> I see typed exceptions as having a strong
> coupling problem; exception handling that is aware enough to handle a
> typed exception, is so close to the exception generation code that most
> of the information conveyed by the 'type' is also conveyed by the
> context. Now, the further away exception handling gets from exception
> generation, the less information context coveys, but the ability of the
> handler to do anything smarter than log the exception and retry / cancel
> becomes less and less.

I can't say agree there, if I'm understand you right. Not every exception coming out of a function was generated by that function. It may have come from several levels below that. Maybe you can handle the former because it is more immediate but not the latter. So without exception types how would you know the difference between them? You could use error codes and switch on them but it defeats one of the main purposes of exception handling. So I think if there are exceptions generated from further away, it's an argument _for_ exception types rather than against it.

I can think of a example. At work I wrote a driver that communicates to a device over USB. If the device is suddenly unplugged, the lowest level of code throws a “connection” exception. And this can happen in several places. Most levels can't do anything about this (other than just be exception safe) and the exception just percolates up where things get closed and cleaned up. However, it would be possible, though not currently implemented, to recover from this such that the driver waits for the device to get reconnected and refreshes handles and all that, and the application and user above never need to know. Where that recovery happens isn't necessarily at the lowest level but somewhere in a middle layer. So I think having a particular exception type is useful here. But I don't want to have to check error codes because under normal circumstances there are just too many places to check for this type of error.

> The other issue I see with typed exceptions is
> that the classic 'is a' relationship seems weak; to be informative and
> useful and exception must map to a specific or small set of
> error/unexpected conditions. However, this specificity naturally leads
> to large number of final classes, which isn't really leveraging OO
> principals. It's hard to see what, if any, benefit the intermediate base
> classes give over a generic exception.

Well, I think what H.S Tech has been saying in this thread makes sense to me. You can have an exception hierarchy where base classes represent groups or classes of errors that you can check for without having to catch all exception. But you don't have thousands of classes where you map each possible error code to a unique class. You can just have more general types and then put the specific information in the exception. For example, just have one BadParameter exception and then store information about which parameter is bad and why in the exception.

Jim