Thread overview
Weekly D updates 5th-12th August 2022
Sep 13
RazvanN
Sep 13
Sergey
Sep 13
matheus
Sep 13
RazvanN
Sep 19
matheus
Sep 19
matheus
September 13

Bugzilla Report

Changed Issues: 68
Opened Issues: 6 out of which 1 has been closed (1 FIXED)
Closed Issues: 43 (26 FIXED, 3 WORKSFORME, 1 INVALID, 9 WONTFIX, 4 DUPLICATE)

PR Report:

dmd

Opened PRs: 19 out of which 14 have been closed (13 merged, 1 closed)
Total number of closed PRs: 19

phobos

Opened PRs: 8 out of which 4 have been closed (3 merged, 1 closed)
Total number of closed PRs: 4

Cheers,
RazvanN

September 13

On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 07:11:52 UTC, RazvanN wrote:

>

Bugzilla Report

Changed Issues: 68
Opened Issues: 6 out of which 1 has been closed (1 FIXED)
Closed Issues: 43 (26 FIXED, 3 WORKSFORME, 1 INVALID, 9 WONTFIX, 4 DUPLICATE)

PR Report:

dmd

Opened PRs: 19 out of which 14 have been closed (13 merged, 1 closed)
Total number of closed PRs: 19

phobos

Opened PRs: 8 out of which 4 have been closed (3 merged, 1 closed)
Total number of closed PRs: 4

Cheers,
RazvanN

Does “Wontfix” mean that it is not a bug, it is a feature?

September 13
On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 10:44:47 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> ...
> Does “Wontfix” mean that it is not a bug, it is a feature?

I had the same question in another thread like this, I think it would be nice to have a bit of insight about this one and Invalid.

Matheus.
September 13
On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 11:47:30 UTC, matheus wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 10:44:47 UTC, Sergey wrote:
>> ...
>> Does “Wontfix” mean that it is not a bug, it is a feature?
>
> I had the same question in another thread like this, I think it would be nice to have a bit of insight about this one and Invalid.
>
> Matheus.

As there is no official definitions for the categories, I'm just going to lay out what I understand as being the difference between the two:

1. WONTFIX means that the reported issue might have some merit, however, due to other circumstances the feature or fix that is being asked for is not going to be implemented. Reasons for that may be: the proposed feature does not bring a reasonable benefit, the implementation might add unreasonable complexity, the fix might cause massive breaking changes, the feature that is request does not bode well with other language features etc.

2. INVALID means that the bug report comes from a misunderstanding of the spec or the compiler features, or the code snippet that is reported contains a bug etc.

The fundamental difference between the two is that a WONTFIX bug report might have some merit, but because of various reasons it is not going to be pursued, whereas an INVALID bug report does not have any grounds for asking for a change.

That being said, there might be situations where the difference between a category or another are not that obvious so people might mislabel bug reports. If that is the case, feel free to comment on the bug report page to make a case for what you think the right labeling is.

I hope this brings more light in the distinction.

Cheers,
RazvanN
September 19
On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 14:08:44 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 11:47:30 UTC, matheus wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 10:44:47 UTC, Sergey wrote:
>>> ...
>>> Does “Wontfix” mean that it is not a bug, it is a feature?
>>
>> I had the same question in another thread like this, I think it would be nice to have a bit of insight about this one and Invalid.
>>
>> Matheus.
>
> As there is no official definitions for the categories, I'm just going to lay out what I understand as being the difference between the two:
>
> ...
>
> I hope this brings more light in the distinction.
>
> Cheers,
> RazvanN

Hi RazvanN,

In fact what I was talking about was about the reasoning for the "Won't be Fixed" (9) or "Invalid" (1) in these updates, since they're low.

When I see 9 "Won't Fix", it would be nice to see the list or the answers in why it was marked this way or the links in these updates if possible.

Thanks,

Matheus.
September 19
On Monday, 19 September 2022 at 10:55:09 UTC, matheus wrote:
> When I see 9 "Won't Fix", it would be nice to see the list or the answers in why it was marked this way or the links in these updates if possible.

These posts are a poor imitation of the auto-generated report at the top of my blog every week.

http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.html

so if you go down and find the date, i actually have links. So this one is 9/12:

http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2022_09_12.html

If you click on the "bugs fixed", you'll get the list of ones actually marked FIXED (I didn't think "invalid" and "won't fix" were worth listing, but perhaps I should add them right to the report, it might be interesting)

But anyway, the link is a bugzilla search and you can changed FIXED at the very end of it to WONTFIX or INVALID to get those lists for the same time period:

https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2022-09-06&chfieldto=2022-09-12&chfieldvalue=RESOLVED&list_id=242107&query_format=advanced&resolution=WONTFIX

Most of those are pretty old as you can tell by the low id numbers.


I sampled a few just now. Interestingly one is an enhancement request with an attached PR with the last comment being: " Anyone that wants to pick it up feel free to reopen or start a new PR from scratch."

So... is WONTFIX an official declaration? If so, why would the PR be allowed to be reopened?


Another one is about foreach range with index. Closed because you can use `enumerate` instead. So unlikely to actually change there.


Another newer bug is about alias this and private, closed because it is by design that you can't have a public alias to a private member. Makes enough sense to go ahead and make it official that this isn't going to change.


etc. but anyway with the link from my blog it is easy enough to change the url to get the list at least.

i tend to post my blog late but it always auto-generates the same timeframe.
September 19
On Monday, 19 September 2022 at 12:09:00 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> ...

Hi Adam, this is neat and should be announced more.

One thing that I like when reading about WONTFIX for example, is the reasoning for this choice and learning ways to mitigate the problem exposed.

THanks for the link and all the info (Snippets).

I think this Link (Query) is enough and should be added here in these updates too.

Thanks again,

Matheus.
September 20

On Monday, 19 September 2022 at 12:09:00 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:

>

Another newer bug is about alias this and private, closed because it is by design that you can't have a public alias to a private member.

Not always:

module a;
private int _x;
alias x = _x;

module b:
import a;

void main() { x = 1; // ok }

>

Makes enough sense to go ahead and make it official that this isn't going to change.

Public aliases make sense if you believe that:

private int _x;
alias x = _x;

should be equivalent to

private int _x;
@property ref int x() => _x;

That is, the visibility attribute applies to the name, not the named item.