Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
January 07
What's the preferred way of doing bitwise rotate of an integral value in D?

Are there intrinsics for bitwise rotation available in LDC?
January 07
On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 14:39:07 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> What's the preferred way of doing bitwise rotate of an integral value in D?
>
> Are there intrinsics for bitwise rotation available in LDC?

I just found this

    ulong rotateLeft(ulong x, ubyte bits)
    {
        return (x << bits) | (x >> (64 - bits));
    }

Questions:
- Is this a good implementation for the ulong case?
- Should we use >> or >>> ?
- What's the preferred type for `bits`, ubyte, or uint or making it a template parameter?
January 07
On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 14:43:29 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 14:39:07 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
>> What's the preferred way of doing bitwise rotate of an integral value in D?
>>
>> Are there intrinsics for bitwise rotation available in LDC?
>
> I just found this
>
>     ulong rotateLeft(ulong x, ubyte bits)
>     {
>         return (x << bits) | (x >> (64 - bits));
>     }
>
> Questions:
> - Is this a good implementation for the ulong case?
> - Should we use >> or >>> ?
> - What's the preferred type for `bits`, ubyte, or uint or making it a template parameter?

There are
https://dlang.org/phobos/core_bitop.html#.rol
and
https://dlang.org/phobos/core_bitop.html#.ror

But it seems the implementation is like yours.
January 07
On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 14:53:26 UTC, Alex wrote:
> There are
> https://dlang.org/phobos/core_bitop.html#.rol
> and
> https://dlang.org/phobos/core_bitop.html#.ror
>
> But it seems the implementation is like yours.

Ahh, missed that. Thanks.
January 07
On 1/7/19 10:10 AM, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 14:53:26 UTC, Alex wrote:
>> There are
>> https://dlang.org/phobos/core_bitop.html#.rol
>> and
>> https://dlang.org/phobos/core_bitop.html#.ror
>>
>> But it seems the implementation is like yours.
> 
> Ahh, missed that. Thanks.

Use the core.bitop ones. Chances are they are intrinsics on certain platforms.

-Steve
January 07
On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 14:39:07 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> What's the preferred way of doing bitwise rotate of an integral value in D?
>
> Are there intrinsics for bitwise rotation available in LDC?

Turns out you don't need any:

https://d.godbolt.org/z/C_Sk_-

Generates ROL instruction.
January 07
On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:13:37PM +0000, Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 14:39:07 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> > What's the preferred way of doing bitwise rotate of an integral value in D?
> > 
> > Are there intrinsics for bitwise rotation available in LDC?
> 
> Turns out you don't need any:
> 
> https://d.godbolt.org/z/C_Sk_-
> 
> Generates ROL instruction.

There's a certain pattern that dmd looks for, that it transforms into a ROL instruction. Similarly for ROR.  Deviate too far from this pattern, though, and it might not recognize it as it should.  To be sure, always check the disassembly.


T

-- 
I don't trust computers, I've spent too long programming to think that they can get anything right. -- James Miller
January 08
On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 23:20:57 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:13:37PM +0000, Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 14:39:07 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
>> > What's the preferred way of doing bitwise rotate of an integral value in D?
>> > 
>> > Are there intrinsics for bitwise rotation available in LDC?
>> 
>> Turns out you don't need any:
>> 
>> https://d.godbolt.org/z/C_Sk_-
>> 
>> Generates ROL instruction.
>
> There's a certain pattern that dmd looks for, that it transforms into a ROL instruction. Similarly for ROR.  Deviate too far from this pattern, though, and it might not recognize it as it should.  To be sure, always check the disassembly.
>
Are you sure it's dmd looking for the pattern. Playing with the godbolt link shows that dmd doesn't generate the rol code (gdc 4.8.2 neither).

January 08
On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 14:39:07 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> What's the preferred way of doing bitwise rotate of an integral value in D?
>
> Are there intrinsics for bitwise rotation available in LDC?

LDC does not expose this intrinsic currently, but you can use LLVM's fshl:
https://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#llvm-fshl-intrinsic
It's a fairly new intrinsic, so won't work with older LLVM versions.

https://d.godbolt.org/z/SBnJFJ

As noted by others, the optimizer is strong enough to recognize what you are doing (without intrinsic) and use ror/rol if it deems it advantageous to do so.

-Johan

January 08
On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 09:15:09AM +0000, Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Monday, 7 January 2019 at 23:20:57 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > There's a certain pattern that dmd looks for, that it transforms into a ROL instruction. Similarly for ROR.  Deviate too far from this pattern, though, and it might not recognize it as it should. To be sure, always check the disassembly.
> > 
> Are you sure it's dmd looking for the pattern. Playing with the godbolt link shows that dmd doesn't generate the rol code (gdc 4.8.2 neither).

I vaguely remember a bug about this. There is definitely explicit checking for this in dmd; I don't remember if it was a bug in the pattern matching code itself, or some other problem, that made it fail. You may need to specify -O for the code to actually be active. Walter could point you to the actual function that does this optimization.


T

-- 
Never wrestle a pig. You both get covered in mud, and the pig likes it.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2