This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community Review of DIP 1042, "ProtoObject".
THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD
I will be deleting posts that do not follow the Feedback Thread rules outlined at the following link:
The rules are also repeated below. Recently, I have avoided deleting posts that violate the rules if they still offer feedback, but I'm going to tighten things up again. Please
adhere to the feedback thread rules.
The place for freeform discussion is in the Discussion Thread at:
You can find DIP 1042 here:
The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET on January 24, or when I make a post declaring it complete. At that point, this thread will be considered closed and any subsequent feedback may be ignored at the DIP author's discretion.
Feedback Thread Rules
Posts in this thread that do not adhere to the following rules will be deleted at the DIP author's discretion:
- All posts must be a direct reply to the DIP manager's initial post, with the following exceptions:
- Any commenter may reply to their own posts to retract feedback contained in the original post;
- The DIP author may (and is encouraged to) reply to any feedback solely to acknowledge the feedback with agreement or disagreement (preferably with supporting reasons in the latter case);
- If the DIP author requests clarification on any specific feedback, the original commenter may reply with the extra information, and the DIP author may in turn reply as above.
- Feedback must be actionable, i.e., there must be some action the DIP author can choose to take in response to the feedback, such as changing details, adding new information, or even retracting the proposal.
- Feedback related to the merits of the proposal rather than to the contents of the DIP (e.g., "I'm against this DIP.") is allowed in Community Review (not Final Review), but must be backed by supporting arguments (e.g., "I'm against this DIP because..."). The supporting arguments must be reasonable. Obviously frivolous arguments waste everyone's time.
- Feedback should be clear and concise, preferably listed as bullet points (those who take the time to do an in-depth review and provide feedback in the form of answers to the questions in the documentation linked above will receive much gratitude). Information irrelevant to the DIP or which is not provided in service of clarifying the feedback is unwelcome.