Thread overview
Equivalent of C++ #__VA_ARGS__
5 days ago
Ronoroa
5 days ago
Adam D. Ruppe
5 days ago
Ronoroa
5 days ago
Adam D. Ruppe
5 days ago
Ronoroa
5 days ago
How do I achieve equivalent semantics of following C++ code?

```
#define dbg(...) std::cout << __LINE__ << #__VA_ARGS__ << " = " << print_func(__VA_ARGS__) << std::endl;
```


5 days ago
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 at 15:30:27 UTC, Ronoroa wrote:
> How do I achieve equivalent semantics of following C++ code?
>
> ```
> #define dbg(...) std::cout << __LINE__ << #__VA_ARGS__ << " = " << print_func(__VA_ARGS__) << std::endl;
> ```

You probably just want


void dbg(Args...)(Args args, size_t line = __LINE__) {
     writeln(line, args, " = ", print_func(args));
}
5 days ago
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 at 15:48:34 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 August 2020 at 15:30:27 UTC, Ronoroa wrote:
> void dbg(Args...)(Args args, size_t line = __LINE__) {
>      writeln(line, args, " = ", print_func(args));
> }
That doesn't seem to stringize the args part like in #__VA_ARGS__

I've tried

void dbg(Args...)(Args args, size_t line = __LINE__) {
    writeln("#", line, ":", args, " = ");
    // print_func is simply writeln
    writeln(args);
}

void main() {
    int a = 10, b = 4;
    // gives #11 : 104 = 104
    // what I crucially want #9 : a, b = 10, 4
    //                            ^^^^ this
    dbg(a, b);
}


5 days ago
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 at 16:05:07 UTC, Ronoroa wrote:
> That doesn't seem to stringize the args part like in #__VA_ARGS__

oh yeah i missed that part.

D basically can't do that exactly, but if you pass the args as template things directly you can do this:

---
void main(string[] args) {
        int a;
        int b = 34;
        dbg!(a, b); // notice the !
}

void dbg(Args...)(size_t line = __LINE__) {
        import std.stdio;

        write("#", line, ": ");
        foreach(idx, alias arg; Args) {
                if(idx) write(", ");
                write(arg.stringof, " = ", arg);
        }
        writeln();
}
---

#4: a = 0, b = 34


Or reformat the output however you want.

5 days ago
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 at 16:31:50 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 August 2020 at 16:05:07 UTC, Ronoroa wrote:
>> That doesn't seem to stringize the args part like in #__VA_ARGS__
>
> oh yeah i missed that part.
>
> D basically can't do that exactly, but if you pass the args as template things directly you can do this:
>
> ---
> void main(string[] args) {
>         int a;
>         int b = 34;
>         dbg!(a, b); // notice the !
> }
>
> void dbg(Args...)(size_t line = __LINE__) {
>         import std.stdio;
>
>         write("#", line, ": ");
>         foreach(idx, alias arg; Args) {
>                 if(idx) write(", ");
>                 write(arg.stringof, " = ", arg);
>         }
>         writeln();
> }
> ---
>
> #4: a = 0, b = 34
>
> 
> Or reformat the output however you want.

That's so much nicer than the C++ macro. Thanks a lot!