Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
About supporting EMScripten
Aug 04
Hipreme
Aug 05
kinke
Aug 05
Hipreme
Aug 05
Hipreme
Aug 29
cbleser
Sep 01
cbleser
Sep 02
cbleser
August 04
Are there any plans for supporting EMScripten? I still think that supporting Web and Android are things that would give a substantial revival to D.
And I'm really not talking about betterC, if I were to program without D, there should be no reason to even start with D.

Vladimir Panteleev(aka CyberShadow) and Sebastien Alaiwan(aka Seb I think) are the big players on this project

If you don't want to plan to support it, would someone give me some advice on how would I be able to do this myself? I'm still on very early stage of doing those porting things but I'm pretty lost, I would like to being able to help on wherever I can, if there any advices on how to start porting things, I would be grateful.

Do I need to learn about LLVM, LDC, EMScripten and WebAssembly? Which things would be target for accomplishing almost full D support onto those things?
I'm on Dlang discord as Hipreme, if someone would welcome me at helping me those things, please, send me a DM, I'll be sure to document the entire process.
August 05
On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 at 21:52:46 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> Are there any plans for supporting EMScripten?

Nope, not really. AFAIU, Emscripten is superseded by regular WebAssembly + WASI, and druntime + Phobos ports are almost ready, see https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/3345.
August 05
On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 at 10:51:42 UTC, kinke wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 at 21:52:46 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
>> Are there any plans for supporting EMScripten?
>
> Nope, not really. AFAIU, Emscripten is superseded by regular WebAssembly + WASI, and druntime + Phobos ports are almost ready, see https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/3345.

My level of knowledge wasn't enough to understand what is really happeneing in this PR
Is there some way for me to get started using this WASM without BetterC and using SDL? Is there someway I can help in this project?
August 05
On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 at 20:34:07 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> Is there some way for me to get started using this WASM without BetterC

You will need to compile it yourself and configure ldc.conf to point to the built libraries. This is all very beta so likely you will hit some dark corners.

I wish it was further along and had some good docs, but it is what it is.

> and using SDL?

Emscripten has a port of SDL, but this is just druntime.

If you want to do audio and graphics I can only show you the port of a js13k game I did.

Play it live at https://skoppe.github.io/spasm/examples/underrun/ source at https://github.com/skoppe/spasm/tree/master/examples/underrun

At this point I can't help you much, but once things are more finished I hope you can try out some things.
August 05
On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 at 21:40:47 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 at 20:34:07 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
>> Is there some way for me to get started using this WASM without BetterC
>
> You will need to compile it yourself and configure ldc.conf to point to the built libraries. This is all very beta so likely you will hit some dark corners.
>
> I wish it was further along and had some good docs, but it is what it is.
>
>> and using SDL?
>
> Emscripten has a port of SDL, but this is just druntime.
>
> If you want to do audio and graphics I can only show you the port of a js13k game I did.
>
> Play it live at https://skoppe.github.io/spasm/examples/underrun/ source at https://github.com/skoppe/spasm/tree/master/examples/underrun
>
> At this point I can't help you much, but once things are more finished I hope you can try out some things.

If I have some way to test and help, I would be happy already.
Is there some built libraries already? Or I'll need to run ldc-build-runtime myself?
If I can get past this point, I'll be documenting it anyway, I like to document everything I do

So, is it possible to integrate the EMScripten SDL port with what you're doing?


August 06
On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 at 21:46:49 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> If I have some way to test and help, I would be happy already.
> Is there some built libraries already? Or I'll need to run ldc-build-runtime myself?

You need to run it yourself. Very manual at the moment. Here are some very rough instructions.

1) Clone ldc and checkout my PR mentioned above.

2) Download and extract https://github.com/CraneStation/wasi-sdk/releases/download/wasi-sdk-8/wasi-sdk-8.0-linux.tar.gz somewhere.

3) export WASI_SDK_PREFIX=<path/to/wasi-sdk-8.0>

4) go into the ldc's runtime folder and run `ldc-build-runtime --ninja "--dFlags=-mtriple=wasm32-wasi" --ldcSrcDir=../ CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE="$WASI_SDK_PREFIX/share/cmake/wasi-sdk.cmake" WASI_SDK_PREFIX=$WASI_SDK_PREFIX BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF` (you may need to build ldc-build-runtime first).

That should get you a wasm build of druntime and phobos in `runtime/ldc-build-runtime.tmp/lib`.

5) Add this to ldc2.conf and fix the folders for your install

```
"^wasm(32|64)-":
{
    switches = [
        "-defaultlib=c,druntime-ldc,phobos2-ldc",
        "-link-internally",
    ];
    post-switches = [
     "-I<path/to/runtime/druntime/src>",
     "-I<path/to/runtime/phobos>",
    ],
    lib-dirs = ["<path/to/runtime/ldc-build-runtime.tmp/lib>","<path/to/wasi-sdk-8.0/share/wasi-sysroot/lib/wasm32-wasi/>"];
};
```
6) create a dub project somewhere, add `buildRequirements "allowWarnings"` to the dub.sdl

app.d
```
  void main() {
    import core.stdc.stdio;
    printf("exit");
  }
```

7) compile that with `dub --arch=wasm32-unknown-unknown-wasm --build-mode=allAtOnce` (from memory).

8) run with wasmtime or wasmer

To get it to run in the browser you need a WASI loader, as it will depend on several WASI runtime functions.

If in doubt consult the `azure-pipelines/posix.yml` and search for wasm (it will have everything until the dub project).

> So, is it possible to integrate the EMScripten SDL port with what you're doing?

I rather not, but I guess it is possible.
August 29
On Thursday, 6 August 2020 at 10:15:54 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
I tried to install the
> On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 at 21:46:49 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
>> If I have some way to test and help, I would be happy already.
>> Is there some built libraries already? Or I'll need to run ldc-build-runtime myself?
>
> You need to run it yourself. Very manual at the moment. Here are some very rough instructions.
>
> 1) Clone ldc and checkout my PR mentioned above.
>
> 2) Download and extract https://github.com/CraneStation/wasi-sdk/releases/download/wasi-sdk-8/wasi-sdk-8.0-linux.tar.gz somewhere.
>
> 3) export WASI_SDK_PREFIX=<path/to/wasi-sdk-8.0>
>
> 4) go into the ldc's runtime folder and run `ldc-build-runtime --ninja "--dFlags=-mtriple=wasm32-wasi" --ldcSrcDir=../ CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE="$WASI_SDK_PREFIX/share/cmake/wasi-sdk.cmake" WASI_SDK_PREFIX=$WASI_SDK_PREFIX BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF` (you may need to build ldc-build-runtime first).
>
> That should get you a wasm build of druntime and phobos in `runtime/ldc-build-runtime.tmp/lib`.
>
> 5) Add this to ldc2.conf and fix the folders for your install
>
> ```
> "^wasm(32|64)-":
> {
>     switches = [
>         "-defaultlib=c,druntime-ldc,phobos2-ldc",
>         "-link-internally",
>     ];
>     post-switches = [
>      "-I<path/to/runtime/druntime/src>",
>      "-I<path/to/runtime/phobos>",
>     ],
>     lib-dirs = ["<path/to/runtime/ldc-build-runtime.tmp/lib>","<path/to/wasi-sdk-8.0/share/wasi-sysroot/lib/wasm32-wasi/>"];
> };
> ```
> 6) create a dub project somewhere, add `buildRequirements "allowWarnings"` to the dub.sdl
>
> app.d
> ```
>   void main() {
>     import core.stdc.stdio;
>     printf("exit");
>   }
> ```
>
> 7) compile that with `dub --arch=wasm32-unknown-unknown-wasm --build-mode=allAtOnce` (from memory).
>
> 8) run with wasmtime or wasmer
>
> To get it to run in the browser you need a WASI loader, as it will depend on several WASI runtime functions.
>
> If in doubt consult the `azure-pipelines/posix.yml` and search for wasm (it will have everything until the dub project).
>
>> So, is it possible to integrate the EMScripten SDL port with what you're doing?
>
> I rather not, but I guess it is possible.

Thank you for the instruction.
I tried to compile wasm-druntime. But I run into some problems inside the I following error.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:227 (list):
  list sub-command REMOVE_ITEM requires two or more arguments.

I have made a repo on
https://github.com/tagion/wasm_druntime.git
Which should run the build like this:
```
make subdate
make all
```
I am not sure of I have the correct branch?








August 31
On Saturday, 29 August 2020 at 12:33:08 UTC, cbleser wrote:
> Thank you for the instruction.
> I tried to compile wasm-druntime. But I run into some problems inside the I following error.
>
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:227 (list):
>   list sub-command REMOVE_ITEM requires two or more arguments.
>
> I have made a repo on
> https://github.com/tagion/wasm_druntime.git
> Which should run the build like this:
> ```
> make subdate
> make all
> ```
> I am not sure of I have the correct branch?

It seems you don't have the right version of ldc/druntime/phobos. Please checkout https://github.com/skoppe/ldc/commit/828926064c52eba905d9bbbf9d4d57f64a2cd267
September 01
On Monday, 31 August 2020 at 08:31:11 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 August 2020 at 12:33:08 UTC, cbleser wrote:
>> Thank you for the instruction.
>> I tried to compile wasm-druntime. But I run into some problems inside the I following error.
>>
>> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:227 (list):
>>   list sub-command REMOVE_ITEM requires two or more arguments.
>>
>> I have made a repo on
>> https://github.com/tagion/wasm_druntime.git
>> Which should run the build like this:
>> ```
>> make subdate
>> make all
>> ```
>> I am not sure of I have the correct branch?
>
> It seems you don't have the right version of ldc/druntime/phobos. Please checkout https://github.com/skoppe/ldc/commit/828926064c52eba905d9bbbf9d4d57f64a2cd267

Hi Sebastiaan.
Thank you for you input. But still run into another problem.


I corrected the branch now it compiles but it does not link.

The test can be found here.
https://github.com/tagion/wasm_druntime.git

I have tried ldc-build-runtime with both ninja and make nut the result is the same.

Used ldc-build-runtime
cd /tmp/wasm_druntime/ldc/runtime; ldc-build-runtime  --dFlags=-mtriple=wasm32-wasi --buildDir=/tmp/wasm_druntime/ldc-build-runtime.tmp --ldcSrcDir=../ CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=/tmp/wasm_druntime/wasi-sdk-8.0/share/cmake/wasi-sdk.cmake WASI_SDK_PREFIX=/tmp/wasm_druntime/wasi-sdk-8.0 BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF

--- cut ---
Error: unrecognized file extension obj
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/druntime-ldc.dir/build.make:1292: lib/libdruntime-ldc.a] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/wasm_druntime/ldc-build-runtime.tmp'
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:265: CMakeFiles/druntime-ldc.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/wasm_druntime/ldc-build-runtime.tmp'
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2
--- cut --

The compiler I use is.
ldc2 --version
LDC - the LLVM D compiler (1.20.1):
  based on DMD v2.090.1 and LLVM 10.0.0
  built with LDC - the LLVM D compiler (1.20.1)
  Default target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  Host CPU: skylake
  http://dlang.org - http://wiki.dlang.org/LDC

  Registered Targets:
    aarch64    - AArch64 (little endian)
    aarch64_32 - AArch64 (little endian ILP32)
    aarch64_be - AArch64 (big endian)
    amdgcn     - AMD GCN GPUs
    arm        - ARM
    arm64      - ARM64 (little endian)
    arm64_32   - ARM64 (little endian ILP32)
    armeb      - ARM (big endian)
    avr        - Atmel AVR Microcontroller
    bpf        - BPF (host endian)
    bpfeb      - BPF (big endian)
    bpfel      - BPF (little endian)
    hexagon    - Hexagon
    lanai      - Lanai
    mips       - MIPS (32-bit big endian)
    mips64     - MIPS (64-bit big endian)
    mips64el   - MIPS (64-bit little endian)
    mipsel     - MIPS (32-bit little endian)
    msp430     - MSP430 [experimental]
    nvptx      - NVIDIA PTX 32-bit
    nvptx64    - NVIDIA PTX 64-bit
    ppc32      - PowerPC 32
    ppc64      - PowerPC 64
    ppc64le    - PowerPC 64 LE
    r600       - AMD GPUs HD2XXX-HD6XXX
    riscv32    - 32-bit RISC-V
    riscv64    - 64-bit RISC-V
    sparc      - Sparc
    sparcel    - Sparc LE
    sparcv9    - Sparc V9
    systemz    - SystemZ
    thumb      - Thumb
    thumbeb    - Thumb (big endian)
    wasm32     - WebAssembly 32-bit
    wasm64     - WebAssembly 64-bit
    x86        - 32-bit X86: Pentium-Pro and above
    x86-64     - 64-bit X86: EM64T and AMD64
    xcore      - XCore

I checked the .obj file and they are the correct format

file CMakeFiles/druntime-ldc.dir/druntime/src/core/stdc/errno.c.obj
CMakeFiles/druntime-ldc.dir/druntime/src/core/stdc/errno.c.obj: WebAssembly (wasm) binary module version 0x1 (MVP)

And wasm2was list looks correct.

Maybe I have the wrong compiler or can I use another linker?


September 01
On Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 13:18:15 UTC, cbleser wrote:
> On Monday, 31 August 2020 at 08:31:11 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
>> It seems you don't have the right version of ldc/druntime/phobos. Please checkout https://github.com/skoppe/ldc/commit/828926064c52eba905d9bbbf9d4d57f64a2cd267
>
> Hi Sebastiaan.
> Thank you for you input. But still run into another problem.
>
>
> I corrected the branch now it compiles but it does not link.
>
> [...]
>
> --- cut ---
> Error: unrecognized file extension obj
> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/druntime-ldc.dir/build.make:1292: lib/libdruntime-ldc.a] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/wasm_druntime/ldc-build-runtime.tmp'
> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:265: CMakeFiles/druntime-ldc.dir/all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/wasm_druntime/ldc-build-runtime.tmp'
> make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2
> --- cut --

Ah yes, I missed that step. You need to patch the sdk.

See the CI
https://github.com/tagion/ldc/blob/828926064c52eba905d9bbbf9d4d57f64a2cd267/.azure-pipelines/posix.yml#L159

Essentially replace `Wasm` with `Linux` in $WASI_SDK_PREFIX/share/cmake/wasi-sdk.cmake
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2