January 11
On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 11:15:05 UTC, Mike James wrote:
> Check out the origin :-)
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/hl8345$2b1q$1@digitalmars.com?page=1
>

I guess something like iterReverse, reverseIter, backIterator would be too simple...

January 11
On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 13:51:04 UTC, JN wrote:
> I guess something like iterReverse, reverseIter, backIterator would be too simple...

or foreach_reverse, which never actually was removed!

lol
January 11
On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 13:51:04 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 11:15:05 UTC, Mike James wrote:
>> Check out the origin :-)
>>
>> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/hl8345$2b1q$1@digitalmars.com?page=1
>>
>
> I guess something like iterReverse, reverseIter, backIterator would be too simple...

Of course. I would protrude from all other functions with their weird names then.

Just kidding. Although...
I have to admit it happened more than just once that I thought, "oh... another function that's named exactly different from what I'd have gone with."
January 11
On 1/11/19 1:25 PM, 0xEAB wrote:
> On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 13:51:04 UTC, JN wrote:
>> On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 11:15:05 UTC, Mike James wrote:
>>> Check out the origin :-)
>>>
>>> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/hl8345$2b1q$1@digitalmars.com?page=1
>>>
>>
>> I guess something like iterReverse, reverseIter, backIterator would be too simple...
> 
> Of course. I would protrude from all other functions with their weird names then.
> 
> Just kidding. Although...
> I have to admit it happened more than just once that I thought, "oh... another function that's named exactly different from what I'd have gone with."

Part of the problem is that arr.reverse already was defined a long time ago.

The thing about retro, is that even though it's not what I would think of for this operation, I have never forgotten the name since ;)

-Steve
January 11
On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 11:15:05 UTC, Mike James wrote:
> Check out the origin :-)
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/hl8345$2b1q$1@digitalmars.com?page=1

Indeed a terrible name, please don't tell me this was chosen by vote.

By the way currently is there any vote system for naming these things?

Al.
January 13
On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 19:16:05 UTC, AlCaponeJr wrote:
> On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 11:15:05 UTC, Mike James wrote:
>> Check out the origin :-)
>>
>> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/hl8345$2b1q$1@digitalmars.com?page=1
>
> Indeed a terrible name, please don't tell me this was chosen by vote.
>
> By the way currently is there any vote system for naming these things?
>
> Al.

No. There are zero plans to break a ton of code by changing the name of a symbol in the standard library.

It's more likely that someone comes along with a new general purpose library which hasn't seen much usage and thus can define slightly better names.
Next ›   Last »
1 2