September 05, 2018
On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 01:20:26 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 17:50, tide via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 00:35:50 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> > On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 17:30, tide via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>> >> [...]
>> >
>> > And yes, the example is actually complete. Again, but I'll simplify the filenames:
>> >
>> > ns/bar.d
>> > -------------
>> > module ns.bar;
>> > import ns.baz;
>> > extern(C++, ns):
>> >
>> > ns/baz.d
>> > -------------
>> > module ns.baz;
>> > import ns.bar;
>> > extern(C++, ns):
>> >
>> >
>> >> [...]
>>
>> Judging by the name of the modules are you working on an Entity Component System for D :o ?
>
> Well, I'm clearly trying to call C++ code >_<

I suggest you privately email Walter the exact code files you're writing, with the exact reasons you think his workarounds are too onerous. These piecemeal forum posts are going nowhere.
September 05, 2018
On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 04:39:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/4/2018 5:31 PM, Manu wrote:
>> I'm just showing one case that you tend to be confronted with
>> immediately, which is that if you import a module, and then open a
>> namespace with the same name as the root namespace of a module you
>> imported, that is an error condition; the namespace conflicts with the
>> root namespace of the import.
>
> I have 30 years of experience doing tech support. I'm not going to guess what the problem is, or try to reconstruct an example from a handwavy description. Been there, done that, far too many times. It just wastes my time and will only frustrate you because I'll solve a different problem.

The problem has already been described clearly and doesn't really need to be shown.
September 04, 2018
On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 21:40, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm just showing one case that you tend to be confronted with immediately, which is that if you import a module, and then open a namespace with the same name as the root namespace of a module you imported, that is an error condition; the namespace conflicts with the root namespace of the import.
>
> I have 30 years of experience doing tech support. I'm not going to guess what the problem is, or try to reconstruct an example from a handwavy description. Been there, done that, far too many times. It just wastes my time and will only frustrate you because I'll solve a different problem.

A hand-wavy description? You recall that last uber-thread right? I can't add anything to that, and I'm not trying to...

I'm just, literally, begging you to fix this.
I'm serious, you can have your cake, and potentially, I could have my
cake too, and everybody would be happy... nobody would be sad.
September 04, 2018
On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 22:05, Joakim via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 01:20:26 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 17:50, tide via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 00:35:50 UTC, Manu wrote:
> >> > On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 17:30, tide via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> >> >> [...]
> >> >
> >> > And yes, the example is actually complete. Again, but I'll simplify the filenames:
> >> >
> >> > ns/bar.d
> >> > -------------
> >> > module ns.bar;
> >> > import ns.baz;
> >> > extern(C++, ns):
> >> >
> >> > ns/baz.d
> >> > -------------
> >> > module ns.baz;
> >> > import ns.bar;
> >> > extern(C++, ns):
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Judging by the name of the modules are you working on an Entity Component System for D :o ?
> >
> > Well, I'm clearly trying to call C++ code >_<
>
> I suggest you privately email Walter the exact code files you're writing, with the exact reasons you think his workarounds are too onerous. These piecemeal forum posts are going nowhere.

Workaround: "Naming the binding the same name as the library is
incompatible with binding to a library. You need to rename your
binding to something other than the name of the library; perhaps you
should append 'D', that sounds really pro."
That's just not acceptable.
September 04, 2018
On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 21:40, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm just showing one case that you tend to be confronted with immediately, which is that if you import a module, and then open a namespace with the same name as the root namespace of a module you imported, that is an error condition; the namespace conflicts with the root namespace of the import.
>

"A handwavy description"!
What do you mean? I started the email with the code... if you compiled
it you would have reproduced those error messages. Yes the line
numbers would have been different line numbers, because I deleted all
the other lines, but the code I pasted reproduces the errors
precisely.
And you know that anyway. You don't need to compile the code to
understand the error, we've been over it countless times for years
now.
September 05, 2018
On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 05:32:43 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 21:40, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> "A handwavy description"!
> What do you mean? I started the email with the code... if you compiled
> it you would have reproduced those error messages. Yes the line
> numbers would have been different line numbers, because I deleted all
> the other lines, but the code I pasted reproduces the errors
> precisely.
> And you know that anyway. You don't need to compile the code to
> understand the error, we've been over it countless times for years
> now.

what about run.dlang.org?

September 05, 2018
On 9/4/2018 10:32 PM, Manu wrote:
> "A handwavy description"!
> What do you mean? I started the email with the code... if you compiled
> it you would have reproduced those error messages.

There are 3 files referenced, but only two are given.

September 05, 2018
On 9/4/2018 10:16 PM, Manu wrote:
> I'm serious, you can have your cake, and potentially, I could have my
> cake too, and everybody would be happy... nobody would be sad.

If it is the same, I provided solutions in those threads. The incomplete example code did not make use of them.

I don't know why you have "no option" left.
September 05, 2018
On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 07:22:50 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 05:32:43 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 21:40, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> "A handwavy description"!
>> What do you mean? I started the email with the code... if you compiled
>> it you would have reproduced those error messages. Yes the line
>> numbers would have been different line numbers, because I deleted all
>> the other lines, but the code I pasted reproduces the errors
>> precisely.
>> And you know that anyway. You don't need to compile the code to
>> understand the error, we've been over it countless times for years
>> now.
>
> what about run.dlang.org?

I don't think you can link against C++ code there.
September 05, 2018
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:30:25 AM MDT Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 9/4/2018 10:16 PM, Manu wrote:
> > I'm serious, you can have your cake, and potentially, I could have my cake too, and everybody would be happy... nobody would be sad.
>
> If it is the same, I provided solutions in those threads. The incomplete example code did not make use of them.
>
> I don't know why you have "no option" left.

If I understand correctly, what it basically comes down to is that Manu finds all of the workarounds that you've suggested to be so annoying as to be intolerable. And after running into some of the same problems yet again, he felt the need to complain about it again and beg you to change your mind, since he feels that he has no idea how to convince you. I get the impression that he thinks that his proposed solution is so obviously better that he doesn't understand why you don't see that it's better, but I don't know. Either way, I think that we all know that it can be very difficult to convince you of something (though that's true of many of us around here). :)

>From what I understand of the situation, I'm inclined to agree with Manu's
position on this topic, but I thought that it was clear from the previous discussion that if there were any chance of anything changing, we were going to need a DIP. Based on everything that's been said thus far, I question that that stands much chance of convincing you, but I do think that we need a clear definition of the proposed solution so that we can avoid talking passed each other, which seemed to be happening at least some of the time in the recent thread. Either way, unless someone can come up with an example of the problem or argument about it that somehow convinces you when the previous examples and arguments didn't, I'm not sure that there's much point in arguing about it without at least having a clear DIP on the topic.

- Jonathan M Davis