June 29, 2020
On 6/29/2020 12:04 AM, aeldemery wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> This is my first post ever although I've an eye on the forum since quite some time.
> I wanted to say this kind of destructive conversations is hurting the reputation of the language, deepen the feeling that the language is unsuccessful and turning newcomers off. The people behind this wonderful project deserve some gratitude and recognition.
> That doesn't deny the fact that it, like any human endeavor, is subjected to incongruity and discordance, nevertheless, I think there should be another respectful tone in the conversations.
> 
> Thanks and have a good day.

We try pretty hard to use a light touch with the moderation, and only remove the worst of them. It's a tough line to call balancing allowing people to speak their minds while not destroying the usefulness of the forums.
June 29, 2020
On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 04:49:39 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/28/2020 9:13 AM, Avrina wrote:
>> I guess you are a bit spoiled
> Please post with professional demeanor.

I think the actual point to take home was that you cannot expect people to step up forever and ever only because they have done so in the past. That's basically gambling. And I do hope you don't think that someone will eventually step up if his/her livelihood is at stake (ARM).

Please do not use the way something is phrased as an excuse to dismiss what is being said, unless it is an outright insult like for example a swear word. Experience tells me that when somebody is nitpicking about the way something is said and is taking offence at everything, it is usually a sign that s/he has no answer.
June 29, 2020
On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 07:04:30 UTC, aeldemery wrote:
> On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 04:49:39 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 6/28/2020 9:13 AM, Avrina wrote:
>>> I guess you are a bit spoiled
>> Please post with professional demeanor.
>
> Hello all,
>
> I wanted to say this kind of destructive conversations is hurting the reputation of the language, deepen the feeling that the language is unsuccessful and turning newcomers off.
I personally avoid insults. And its quite unfortunate some people choose those kind of words.

In some cultures certain words might not sound that offensive though. But since we're dealing with an internal community and words don't reflect actual emotions, its best to be careful about choice of words.

>The
> people behind this wonderful project deserve some gratitude and recognition.

That MOST of us do. Not everyone it might seem air it out more though. But you know, its a common thing that people usually talk without being asked when they are rather troubled within something. Doesn't always work the same for when they're good. But that's not a good thing for a community.

Does the complaints make D unsuccessful? No. (Well it might sound unsuccessful to newcomers...but that's just so for every language people actually use, its why say Apple keep releasing new product updates).

The language itself is solid. I may be biased but better than any system programming language I've ever tried. An that's a problem...cus it doesn't deliver it quite complete... ecosystem wise (in my perspective).

And that's it, its normal to hear people air the views on those issues. And these views are diverse...tools, GC, @safe, Minimal runtime, generic, compiler, etc. Different pain points. Could be more considering majority (I guess) of D users rare write a single word here. I doesn't mean they're not bothered by certain things they'd like to be addressed.

You know, I'd rather think the DLF takes these views as community feedback.

Side note: code-d plugin for VS code is so good I wonder why its not been covered on say the D blog or website preferably.

And that's what I'm afraid will lead many people to feel D doesn't have a great code editor support (the maintainer is doing amazing job, you'd just have to try it yourself). Same as Visual Studio itself. But you don't hear about them, and that's a problem.

Of course some seasoned D devs already know this, but what about newcomers? Will this not drive them away? And that's just about VS code. There's many other efforts like it.

Who will do this? A community manager primarily of course. Initially its the LEADER/DLF. Community == contributors with diverse contributions.
June 29, 2020
> Hello all,
>
> This is my first post ever although I've an eye on the forum since quite some time.
> I wanted to say this kind of destructive conversations is hurting the reputation of the language, deepen the feeling that the language is unsuccessful and turning newcomers off. The people behind this wonderful project deserve some gratitude and recognition.
> ...

+1 and the strange thing is that "low" conversation was raised on a topic which the title is: "Why Phobos is cool".

So instead reading about "the cool things", the topic was derailed to "the awful things", and that's pity.

Unfortunately there is this dark mood on this forum lately.

Matheus.
June 29, 2020
> Hello all,
>
> ...

+1 and the strange thing is that "low" conversation was raised on a topic which the title is: "Why Phobos is cool".

So instead reading about "the cool things", the topic was derailed to "the awful things", and that's pity.

Unfortunately there is this dark mood on this forum lately.

Matheus.
June 29, 2020
On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 03:02:20 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
>
> I don't think I'm a good enough programmer to know that Phobos is bad.
> import std.stdio;
> import std.algorithm;
> import std.range;
> import std.conv : to;
>
> and I'm a happy man!
>
> Jordan

I'm a real noob as well. I'm so bad, I also import std.format.
June 29, 2020
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 12:20:23PM +0000, Robert Schadek via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 03:02:20 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
> > 
> > I don't think I'm a good enough programmer to know that Phobos is bad.
> > import std.stdio;
> > import std.algorithm;
> > import std.range;
> > import std.conv : to;
> > 
> > and I'm a happy man!
> > 
> > Jordan
> 
> I'm a real noob as well. I'm so bad, I also import std.format.

LOL!  I *always* import std.format, it's so convenient, I can't live without it!  In spite of its very well-known flaws.

T

-- 
It's bad luck to be superstitious. -- YHL
June 29, 2020
On 6/29/2020 4:32 AM, aberba wrote:
> Side note: code-d plugin for VS code is so good I wonder why its not been covered on say the D blog or website preferably.

How about writing an article about it? The D Blog even pays a modest amount to authors who get their articles published there.
June 29, 2020
On 6/29/2020 3:55 AM, Chris wrote:
> and is taking offence at everything,

That is a complete misunderstanding of what is going on here. The targets of rude behavior are not the problem, it is the rude behavior that's the problem.

It's about professional demeanor.

Unprofessional posts will be deleted.
June 30, 2020
On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 23:13:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/29/2020 4:32 AM, aberba wrote:
>> Side note: code-d plugin for VS code is so good I wonder why its not been covered on say the D blog or website preferably.
>
> How about writing an article about it? The D Blog even pays a modest amount to authors who get their articles published there.

Sounds like you're giving me a good idea. I've added it to my to-do list.