Thread overview
ldc package on Fedora
Oct 19
Joakim
Oct 17
Joakim
October 17
Hi,

The ldc package just got upgraded to 1.12.0 on Fedora Rawhide which caused me to look at the package information. I wonder if there ought to be an update to this since LDC really isn't beta any more, and there are people working on non x86_64 platforms. i.e. I think the blurb needs to be far less defensive now: the defensiveness of the blurb could be a turn off to people reading it.

|> sudo dnf info ldc
Last metadata expiration check: 0:27:34 ago on Wed 17 Oct 2018 06:32:32 BST.
Installed Packages
Name         : ldc
Epoch        : 1
Version      : 1.12.0
Release      : 2.fc30
Arch         : x86_64
Size         : 7.8 M
Source       : ldc-1.12.0-2.fc30.src.rpm
Repo         : @System
From repo    : rawhide
Summary      : A compiler for the D programming language
URL          : https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc
License      : BSD
Description  : LDC is a compiler for the D programming Language. It is based on the latest DMD
             : frontend and uses LLVM as backend. LLVM provides a fast and modern backend for
             : high quality code generation. LDC is released under a BSD license with
             : exceptions for the DMD frontend and code from GDC.
             : The development takes place mostly on x86-32 and x86-64 Linux and that is where
             : LDC works best. Support for other platforms and architectures is under
             : development, but we are still looking for people to help test and adjust LDC
             : for those platforms!
             : LDC already compiles a lot of D code, but should still be considered beta
             : quality. Take a look at the tickets to get a better impression on what still
             : needs to be implemented.




-- 
Russel.
=========================================
Dr Russel Winder     t:+44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road   m:+44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK  w: www.russel.org.uk



October 17
On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 06:05:29 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The ldc package just got upgraded to 1.12.0 on Fedora Rawhide which caused me to look at the package information. I wonder if there ought to be an update to this since LDC really isn't beta any more, and there are people working on non x86_64 platforms. i.e. I think the blurb needs to be far less defensive now: the defensiveness of the blurb could be a turn off to people reading it.
>
> [...]


Hi Russel, thanks for your comment. Indeed the description has never be updated. If you want to provides a beautiful description I could to apply it ;-)

Have a good day
October 17
On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 06:05:29 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The ldc package just got upgraded to 1.12.0 on Fedora Rawhide which caused me to look at the package information. I wonder if there ought to be an update to this since LDC really isn't beta any more, and there are people working on non x86_64 platforms. i.e. I think the blurb needs to be far less defensive now: the defensiveness of the blurb could be a turn off to people reading it.
>
> [...]

That used to be the front-page text at the old LDC Dsource page:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/ldc/wiki/WikiStart?version=237

which is why I used the same description back when I submitted LDC to FreeBSD ports almost a decade ago:

https://www.freshports.org/lang/ldc-devel/

You're right that the RPM text should've been updated since.
October 18
On Wed, 2018-10-17 at 07:35 +0000, bioinfornatics via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 06:05:29 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > The ldc package just got upgraded to 1.12.0 on Fedora Rawhide which caused me to look at the package information. I wonder if there ought to be an update to this since LDC really isn't beta any more, and there are people working on non x86_64 platforms. i.e. I think the blurb needs to be far less defensive now: the defensiveness of the blurb could be a turn off to people reading it.
> > 
> > [...]
> 
> Hi Russel, thanks for your comment. Indeed the description has never be updated. If you want to provides a beautiful description I could to apply it ;-)

The Debian package just has:

 LDC is a portable compiler for the D programming language with modern
 optimization and code generation capabilities.

 It uses the official DMD compiler frontend to support the latest
 version of D, and relies on the LLVM Core libraries for code
 generation.

Perhaps having the Debian, Fedora, Arch and (Free|Open)BSD packages all have the same text would be a good move?



-- 
Russel.
===========================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk



October 19
On Thursday, 18 October 2018 at 09:24:09 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-10-17 at 07:35 +0000, bioinfornatics via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 06:05:29 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> > [...]
>> 
>> Hi Russel, thanks for your comment. Indeed the description has never be updated. If you want to provides a beautiful description I could to apply it ;-)
>
> The Debian package just has:
>
>  LDC is a portable compiler for the D programming language with modern
>  optimization and code generation capabilities.
>
>  It uses the official DMD compiler frontend to support the latest
>  version of D, and relies on the LLVM Core libraries for code
>  generation.
>
> Perhaps having the Debian, Fedora, Arch and (Free|Open)BSD packages all have the same text would be a good move?

Yes, that is what the current FreeBSD port says:

https://www.freshports.org/lang/ldc

taken from the current README or wiki page for LDC:

https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/blob/master/README.md