Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
WHAT IS DMD and how did it get on my Mac?
5 days ago
Lydia
5 days ago
Lydia
5 days ago
Lydia
5 days ago
FeepingCreature
5 days ago
FeepingCreature
5 days ago
Lydia
5 days ago
FeepingCreature
5 days ago

Hello Guys,

Lydia here.

I am completely ignorant as to what DMD is.

I understand that DMD is an app you install on a Mac. I did
not install this on my computer.

I just upgraded my iMac to Monterey hoping to escape a hacker.
BUT NOW...whenever I reboot my machine, one of the first things
that opens (accompanied by a Blacked out screen) is a process
called DMD and another one PKD. Once these two are done loading,
my actual screen and other apps (finally) begin to load.

I am extremely upset about this and searching for answers.

What commands in TERMINAL can I execute to stop this process
from being operable on my machine???

Please help.

5 days ago

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:12:54 UTC, Lydia wrote:

>

I just upgraded my iMac to Monterey hoping to escape a hacker.
BUT NOW...whenever I reboot my machine, one of the first things
that opens (accompanied by a Blacked out screen) is a process
called DMD and another one PKD. Once these two are done loading,
my actual screen and other apps (finally) begin to load.

These are Apple services.

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Services
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/220918/pkd-process-on-el-capitan/220923

I am not sure if it is advisable to shut them down.

5 days ago

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:12:54 UTC, Lydia wrote:

>

Hello Guys,

Lydia here.

I am completely ignorant as to what DMD is.

I understand that DMD is an app you install on a Mac. I did
not install this on my computer.

I just upgraded my iMac to Monterey hoping to escape a hacker.
BUT NOW...whenever I reboot my machine, one of the first things
that opens (accompanied by a Blacked out screen) is a process
called DMD and another one PKD. Once these two are done loading,
my actual screen and other apps (finally) begin to load.

I am extremely upset about this and searching for answers.

What commands in TERMINAL can I execute to stop this process
from being operable on my machine???

Please help.

To be explicitly clear, DMD (in our sense) is a compiler for the D Programming Language (DigitalMars D). This is not the same binary as your DMD process, which is a Mac/iPhone internal thing. Their DMD is only coincidentally named the same as our DMD.

I have no idea what com.apple.dmd does, and I don't know if anyone else does either. I can't find anything on Google about it. ~Apple things~, presumably.

The D forum comes up as a Google hit for Apple's DMD because Google is guessing that we're related to it. We aren't.

5 days ago

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:42:54 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:

>

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:12:54 UTC, Lydia wrote:

>

I understand that DMD is an app you install on a Mac. I did
not install this on my computer.

I have no idea what com.apple.dmd does, and I don't know if anyone else does either. I can't find anything on Google about it. ~Apple things~, presumably.

The D forum comes up as a Google hit for Apple's DMD because Google is guessing that we're related to it. We aren't.

Update: From an oblique reference in the PDF of the slides for a 2017 WWDC talk, it seems the Apple dmd process is related to their device enrollment program? (Guessing device management ... daemon? driver? Compare mdmd for mobile device management.)

There seem to be some guides on Google to shut that off, but they all read like things that will ruin your system if you miss a step.

5 days ago

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:57:33 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:

>

Update: From an oblique reference in the PDF of the slides for a 2017 WWDC talk, it seems the Apple dmd process is related to their device enrollment program? (Guessing device management ... daemon? driver? Compare mdmd for mobile device management.)

Manual page:

«dmd is the system daemon and user agent processes responsible for backing
the DeviceManagement system private framework.»

5 days ago

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:36:23 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:12:54 UTC, Lydia wrote:

>

I just upgraded my iMac to Monterey hoping to escape a hacker.
BUT NOW...whenever I reboot my machine, one of the first things
that opens (accompanied by a Blacked out screen) is a process
called DMD and another one PKD. Once these two are done loading,
my actual screen and other apps (finally) begin to load.

These are Apple services.

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Services
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/220918/pkd-process-on-el-capitan/220923

I am not sure if it is advisable to shut them down.

Ola, thanks for responding.....BUT, although this app (dmd) runs on
MacOS, it isn't indigenous.

I FOUND THIS:

About the App

App name: dmd
Description: D programming language compiler for OS X
App Website: https//dlang.org

Install the App:

  1. Press command + space and type TERMINAL and press enter/return key.

2.Run in Terminal app:

ruby -e '$(curl -fsSL https//raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install"
2> /dev/null

...and press enter/return key. When prompted give password.

  1. Run:

brew install dmd

Done! You can now use dmd on your MacOs.

5 days ago

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:57:33 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:

>

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:42:54 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:

>

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 08:12:54 UTC, Lydia wrote:

>

I understand that DMD is an app you install on a Mac. I did
not install this on my computer.

I have no idea what com.apple.dmd does, and I don't know if anyone else does either. I can't find anything on Google about it. ~Apple things~, presumably.

The D forum comes up as a Google hit for Apple's DMD because Google is guessing that we're related to it. We aren't.

Update: From an oblique reference in the PDF of the slides for a 2017 WWDC talk, it seems the Apple dmd process is related to their device enrollment program? (Guessing device management ... daemon? driver? Compare mdmd for mobile device management.)

There seem to be some guides on Google to shut that off, but they all read like things that will ruin your system if you miss a step.

Thank you so much for responding.

Let me explain why I'm so concerned.

I DO BELIEVE that this dmd is being used to give a Remote Device
access to my iMac (I have no mobile phone paired with my computer,
yet everything RELATED TO an iphone keeps running in the background
along with dmd).

I also found these instructions on how to download & INSTALL DMD
onto Mac for the express purpose of using it to CONTROL DEVICE
MANAGEMENT. In many posts I'm finding online, it appears as though
"dmd" is an app that some Techies put on their macs, NOT indigenous
to Mac itself (**and of course I could be all wrong, but it bothers
me that when my iMac boots up it goes to a BLACK SCREEN for about
20 seconds before my landscape loads):

About the App

App name: dmd
Description: D programming language compiler for OS X
App Website: https//dlang.org

Install the App:

  1. Press command + space and type TERMINAL and press enter/return key.

2.Run in Terminal app:

ruby -e '$(curl -fsSL https//raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install"
2> /dev/null

...and press enter/return key. When prompted give password.

  1. Run:

brew install dmd

Done! You can now use dmd on your MacOs.

5 days ago

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 09:21:30 UTC, Lydia wrote:

>

App name: dmd
Description: D programming language compiler for OS X
App Website: https//dlang.org

Install the App:

  1. Press command + space and type TERMINAL and press enter/return key.

2.Run in Terminal app:

ruby -e '$(curl -fsSL https//raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install"
2> /dev/null

...and press enter/return key. When prompted give password.

  1. Run:

brew install dmd

Done! You can now use dmd on your MacOs.

Yes, again, even though the DigitalMars D compiler DMD is available for Mac on Homebrew, it is unrelated to the com.apple.dmd process. They're two binaries that coincidentally have the same name.

5 days ago

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 09:15:05 UTC, Lydia wrote:

>

Ola, thanks for responding.....BUT, although this app (dmd) runs on
MacOS, it isn't indigenous.

DMD and PKD are two of many services (programs) that Apple are running in the background on your computer to make sure that your computer functions correctly.

They are shipped with your computer and are located here:

/usr/libexec/

Do not remove them!

After an install these services may have to do cleanup. If this problem persist, I suggest you take your iMac to a local Apple service location.

5 days ago

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 09:25:16 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>

After an install these services may have to do cleanup. If this problem persist, I suggest you take your iMac to a local Apple service location.

Ask them to back up your data and do a clean install. I have done that in the past on my iMac to fix similar issues.

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2