Sep 09, 2005
Thomas Kühne
Sep 10, 2005
John Demme
Sep 13, 2005
BCS
September 09, 2005
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm been looking into D for some time now, and comparing it against other high-level languages like Python, Mono and Lush, as a candidate for doing my development work in machine learning.

The one thing preventing me from using D is the lack of debugging support.
 I absolutely need to be able to step through code and quickly examine
 varibles.

I'm afraid I can't contribute anything to D myself at present, I am just loking for a good tool to do my work in.  I think D looks absolutely great, the language seems way ahead of everything else (in particular, its ability to directly include libraries would be my killer app.

But until GDB-style debugging support is working (on unix) I can't realistically work with D, so I'm using other languages instead.

Please consider this as a priority -- you can have the best language and compiler in the world but unless real developers can step through code and see their data it will only have limited interest.  I'm sure there are lots of people like me out there who would love to switch to D but are waiting for this to happen first.

Thanks
Charles
September 09, 2005
"Charles Fox" <firstname@robots.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message news:pan.2005.09.09.11.39.22.558987@robots.ox.ac.uk...
> The one thing preventing me from using D is the lack of debugging support.
>  I absolutely need to be able to step through code and quickly examine
>  varibles.

The stepping now works!

September 09, 2005
Walter Bright schrieb:

> "Charles Fox" <firstname@robots.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message news:pan.2005.09.09.11.39.22.558987@robots.ox.ac.uk...
> 
>>The one thing preventing me from using D is the lack of debugging support.
>> I absolutely need to be able to step through code and quickly examine varibles.
> 
> 
> The stepping now works!

use the undocumented - well the is an entry in the changelog -

- -gc             add symbolic debug info (Dwarf:DW_LANG_C)

if your gdb doesn't yet support Dwarf:DW_LANG_D

Thomas

September 10, 2005
If your GDB doesn't support DW_LANG_D (it probably doesn't) then compile it yourself with my patch at: http://svn.dsource.org/projects/gdb-patches/downloads/

-John Demme

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:17:11 +0200, Thomas Kühne wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> Walter Bright schrieb:
> 
>> "Charles Fox" <firstname@robots.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message news:pan.2005.09.09.11.39.22.558987@robots.ox.ac.uk...
>> 
>>>The one thing preventing me from using D is the lack of debugging support.
>>> I absolutely need to be able to step through code and quickly examine varibles.
>> 
>> 
>> The stepping now works!
> 
> use the undocumented - well the is an entry in the changelog -
> 
> - -gc             add symbolic debug info (Dwarf:DW_LANG_C)
> 
> if your gdb doesn't yet support Dwarf:DW_LANG_D
> 
> Thomas
> 
> 
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> 
> iD8DBQFDIdGm3w+/yD4P9tIRAmDbAKCAAT5JJYhm1we/YsQLFVVh5NY/ggCcDIuD
> u15M/x7FyH85aMjQMByKBnE=
> =Dj6W
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

September 13, 2005
In article <pan.2005.09.10.19.51.39.448610@teqdruid.com>, John Demme says...
>
>If your GDB doesn't support DW_LANG_D (it probably doesn't) then compile it yourself with my patch at: http://svn.dsource.org/projects/gdb-patches/downloads/
>
>
>-John Demme
>

I don’t have the ability to recompile GDB. Does anyone have a patched win32 binary I can copy? For that matter does anyone have a Linux binary I can copy?