Jump to page: 1 2 3
Thread overview
Our community seems to have grown, so many people are joining the Facebook group
Dec 28
Murilo
Dec 28
bachmeier
Dec 29
Murilo
Dec 30
Murilo
Dec 29
drug
Dec 29
aberba
Dec 30
Murilo
Dec 30
Meta
December 28
In the past 2 weeks we went from 225 to 240 members in our Facebook group(https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProgrammingInDlang), an average of a person per day. First it was an average of a person per month or less. I wonder if someone has advertised the group or the world is finally embracing Dlang now.

In 2018 I didn't find a single Dlang Facebook active group, there were 1 or 2 very old groups with no members. So I created one and I've been working hard to make it official and big, it worked! At first I added my friends list to give it number but then, as people joined it, I removed all of my friends and left only people who joined voluntarily, there were only 150, over time it grew to 225 and now we are getting close to 250.

At first there was only a post per week, all posted by me, now I don't need to post something every week because the members are already doing it themselves, there is regular activity including posts and discussions.

I'm very happy, at first the people here did not like my idea, they thought a Facebook group was unnecessary, but what is the biggest social media in the world? Facebook! So that's is the best way to communicate with the world and advertise Dlang.

Cheers.
December 28
On Monday, 28 December 2020 at 17:31:21 UTC, Murilo wrote:

> I'm very happy, at first the people here did not like my idea, they thought a Facebook group was unnecessary, but what is the biggest social media in the world? Facebook! So that's is the best way to communicate with the world and advertise Dlang.

I'm happy to hear your group is growing. I do have to disagree with your last sentence. Any information you post on Facebook is posted into a black hole. It can be an effective way to make announcements if you have a really big group of followers (or friends or whatever they call them these days), but it's definitely not a good idea for information you want archived for the long run.
December 28
On 12/28/20 9:31 AM, Murilo wrote:

> they thought a Facebook group was unnecessary,

Not only unnecessary but divisive as well. For example, because I will never have a Facebook account I would never be a part of that group. So, can the open source community be a part of Facebook groups *without* a Facebook account? Even if the groups would be open to the public, why would advertisements be a part of a D group? (I don't want to go more off-topic here but I would love to discuss Facebook over your favorite drink.)

> but what is the biggest social media in the world? Facebook!

Good for them. :)

Ali

December 29
On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 11:45 PM Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce < digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 12/28/20 9:31 AM, Murilo wrote:
>
>  > they thought a Facebook group was unnecessary,
>
> Not only unnecessary but divisive as well. For example, because I will never have a Facebook account I would never be a part of that group. So, can the open source community be a part of Facebook groups *without* a Facebook account? Even if the groups would be open to the public, why would advertisements be a part of a D group? (I don't want to go more off-topic here but I would love to discuss Facebook over your favorite drink.)
>
>  > but what is the biggest social media in the world? Facebook!
>
> Good for them. :)
>
> Ali


+1

I am part of a nonprofit organization (some kind of admin for my village) which provides internet access in my town(village) and  until a few months ago there was a page (official page of our organization) which works for all of our members even when there has been some issue with connectivity. Ok if the issue has been between member and organization servers it would not work, but still work in other cases or I have been able to find out what is wrong just by looking at that page. But now they have published all internet outages on facebook page, so I am not aware of them. And even all my mates from the village who do not have another internet provider.

Other issue is they have some events (I always have been part of all events before), but because those events now are on facebook it is really hard to me to participate

So from my point of view FB is the worst thing for community or organization in some cases.


December 29
> Not only unnecessary but divisive as well. For example, because I will never have a Facebook account I would never be a part of that group. So, can the open source community be a part of Facebook groups *without* a Facebook account? Even if the groups would be open to the public, why would advertisements be a part of a D group? (I don't want to go more off-topic here but I would love to discuss Facebook over your favorite drink.)

I'm sorry to hear some of you do not like my initiative. Those who don't have a FB account can continue to use this website or Discord. But those who have a FB account(most people do) can use the group as well, specially when they want to publish their work. Lots of people use the group to publish the GitHub of Dlang projects they've been working on, like a guy who created a game engine in D.

Nowadays a big part of the population uses FB daily, so that is a great way to communicate with the world.

And apart from all that, having an official FB group serves to show Dlang is growing strong and proud, it shows the world that Dlang is not dead(most people think it is).

BTW 2 more members joined today :D
December 29
On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 00:38:40 UTC, Murilo wrote:

>
> And apart from all that, having an official FB group serves to show Dlang is growing strong and proud, it shows the world that Dlang is not dead(most people think it is).
>

I'm happy it's working for you, but please do not present it as an "official" group. That implies the foundation is involved in operating it.
December 29
On 12/29/20 1:42 AM, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 12/28/20 9:31 AM, Murilo wrote:
> 
>  > they thought a Facebook group was unnecessary,
> 
> Not only unnecessary but divisive as well. For example, because I will never have a Facebook account I would never be a part of that group. 

+1

December 29
On Monday, 28 December 2020 at 17:31:21 UTC, Murilo wrote:
> In the past 2 weeks we went from 225 to 240 members in our Facebook group(https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProgrammingInDlang), an average of a person per day. First it was an average of a person per month or less. I wonder if someone has advertised the group or the world is finally embracing Dlang now.
>
> In 2018 I didn't find a single Dlang Facebook active group, there were 1 or 2 very old groups with no members. So I created one and I've been working hard to make it official and big, it worked! At first I added my friends list to give it number but then, as people joined it, I removed all of my friends and left only people who joined voluntarily, there were only 150, over time it grew to 225 and now we are getting close to 250.
>
> At first there was only a post per week, all posted by me, now I don't need to post something every week because the members are already doing it themselves, there is regular activity including posts and discussions.
>
> I'm very happy, at first the people here did not like my idea, they thought a Facebook group was unnecessary, but what is the biggest social media in the world? Facebook! So that's is the best way to communicate with the world and advertise Dlang.
>
> Cheers.


You're doing amazing job BTW. I've not personally been very active on Facebook lately, but I'm sure you know I do post in the group too. Also it doesn't have to be official. The discord server also isn't official yet very active as well.

We might not all have the same REALITY as to which platforms are important/appropriate, but I personally live in a reality where lots of developers are also very active on Facebook. I've also been nurturing a D WhatsApp group here cus WhatsApp is very common for smaller dev communities here. Even though its currently max 250ish people, its still one of the most active means. Yeah WhatsApp groups.

Whatever propels D.

So I'm sure the Facebook group will appeal to a certain audience who use Facebook. I've been a part of all sorts of Facebook groups related to my stack and I've come to the understand it's what certain people even prefer.


December 29
On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 09:05:45 UTC, aberba wrote:
>
> So I'm sure the Facebook group will appeal to a certain audience who use Facebook. I've been a part of all sorts of Facebook groups related to my stack and I've come to the understand it's what certain people even prefer.

+1

It's quite like making software for the platform where the users are.


December 29
On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 10:52:53 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 09:05:45 UTC, aberba wrote:
>>
>> So I'm sure the Facebook group will appeal to a certain audience who use Facebook. I've been a part of all sorts of Facebook groups related to my stack and I've come to the understand it's what certain people even prefer.
>
> +1
>
> It's quite like making software for the platform where the users are.

Not quite, if you split up then each community might have stronger social bonding, but in terms of aggregating helpful advice you will be worse off. It would be suitable for geographic groups (e.g. for a country/city).

For instance slashdot is very poor in social boding terms, but much better than the dlang forums for aggregating helpful advice. So the "learn" forum is beneficial socially, but does erode the slashdot presence.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3