Jump to page: 1 2 3
Thread overview
DIP 1024---Shared Atomics---Accepted
Jan 02
Manu
Jan 02
Manu
Jan 02
Manu
Jan 03
Manu
Jan 03
Manu
Jan 07
Manu
Jan 08
Manu
Jan 10
Manu
Jan 13
Manu
Jan 03
bauss
January 02
DIP 1024, "Shared Atomics", was accepted without comment.

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/accepted/DIP1024.md
January 02
On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 3:40 PM Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> DIP 1024, "Shared Atomics", was accepted without comment.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/accepted/DIP1024.md

This has been a long time coming!
January 01
On 1/1/2020 9:53 PM, Manu wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 3:40 PM Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce
> <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> DIP 1024, "Shared Atomics", was accepted without comment.
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/accepted/DIP1024.md
> 
> This has been a long time coming!

A New Year's present for all of us!
January 02
On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 4:45 PM Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> On 1/1/2020 9:53 PM, Manu wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 3:40 PM Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> DIP 1024, "Shared Atomics", was accepted without comment.
> >>
> >> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/accepted/DIP1024.md
> >
> > This has been a long time coming!
>
> A New Year's present for all of us!

Quick quick, we need a PR to issue deprecation messages for those invalid read/writes! :)
January 02
On 1/2/2020 12:01 AM, Manu wrote:
> Quick quick, we need a PR to issue deprecation messages for those
> invalid read/writes! :)

It's already been merged!

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10209

Some really fast work there :-)
January 02
On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 7:45 PM Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> On 1/2/2020 12:01 AM, Manu wrote:
> > Quick quick, we need a PR to issue deprecation messages for those invalid read/writes! :)
>
> It's already been merged!
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10209
>
> Some really fast work there :-)

Doesn't the acceptance of the DIP suggest that it should no longer be
`-preview`; it should be enabled and an option to disable the feature
via `-revert` should be introduced?
Or short of that, a deprecation message should be emit when compiling?
January 02
On 1/2/2020 4:17 AM, Manu wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 7:45 PM Walter Bright via
> Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/2/2020 12:01 AM, Manu wrote:
>>> Quick quick, we need a PR to issue deprecation messages for those
>>> invalid read/writes! :)
>>
>> It's already been merged!
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10209
>>
>> Some really fast work there :-)
> 
> Doesn't the acceptance of the DIP suggest that it should no longer be
> `-preview`; it should be enabled and an option to disable the feature
> via `-revert` should be introduced?

We switch to -revert after some time has passed (a year or two) so people have time to adapt.

> Or short of that, a deprecation message should be emit when compiling?

I'm not sure that's necessary with the preview/revert switches.

January 03
On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 9:20 AM Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> On 1/2/2020 4:17 AM, Manu wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 7:45 PM Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 1/2/2020 12:01 AM, Manu wrote:
> >>> Quick quick, we need a PR to issue deprecation messages for those invalid read/writes! :)
> >>
> >> It's already been merged!
> >>
> >> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10209
> >>
> >> Some really fast work there :-)
> >
> > Doesn't the acceptance of the DIP suggest that it should no longer be `-preview`; it should be enabled and an option to disable the feature via `-revert` should be introduced?
>
> We switch to -revert after some time has passed (a year or two) so people have
> time to adapt.
>
> > Or short of that, a deprecation message should be emit when compiling?
>
> I'm not sure that's necessary with the preview/revert switches.

Okay, although I don't really understand; if we have accepted the
feature, but we don't enable the feature... then nobody will use it,
and no code will be written that's compatible.
This kinda seems like a future-acceptance?
Nobody enables `-preview`s.
January 03
On 1/2/2020 11:31 PM, Manu wrote:
> Okay, although I don't really understand; if we have accepted the
> feature, but we don't enable the feature... then nobody will use it,
> and no code will be written that's compatible.
> This kinda seems like a future-acceptance?
> Nobody enables `-preview`s.

Those who need it (you!) will use it. That's what matters.

January 03
On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 8:35 PM Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> On 1/2/2020 11:31 PM, Manu wrote:
> > Okay, although I don't really understand; if we have accepted the
> > feature, but we don't enable the feature... then nobody will use it,
> > and no code will be written that's compatible.
> > This kinda seems like a future-acceptance?
> > Nobody enables `-preview`s.
>
> Those who need it (you!) will use it. That's what matters.

We've already had this -preview for quite a while; I have enabled it
in an experimental context, but I don't tend to write and deploy code
that depends on future-features. I stick to the current language when
writing code I intend to share.
Do you have some sense of when we will make this part of the language?
The DIP is accepted, but it didn't describe that it would be enabled
at some future time...?
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3