January 09
On 1/9/20 10:03 PM, suncarpet wrote:
> I can't say I like the idea of requiring users to use the aforementioned or similar services and necessitating the use of git over other VCS solutions.

How is it that dub works today?
January 10
On Friday, 10 January 2020 at 03:14:29 UTC, James Blachly wrote:
> On 1/9/20 10:03 PM, suncarpet wrote:
>> I can't say I like the idea of requiring users to use the aforementioned or similar services and necessitating the use of git over other VCS solutions.
>
> How is it that dub works today?
It works such that I don't post anything to code.dlang.org, lol. (Not that I would because all my stuff is very niche.) If things were to change, I'd like for restrictions on where code is hosted and the VCS to be loosened. I may be looking at this very naively, however.
January 10
On 10/01/2020 4:37 PM, suncarpet wrote:
> If things were to change, I'd like for restrictions on where code is hosted and the VCS to be loosened. I may be looking at this very naively, however.

You are.

It is an implementation detail, not policy.

To do it 100% generically dub repository will have to understand each VCS system, check it out and then archive it before shipping it off on request. Instead of just downloading an archive from the provider.

You may not know this, but in the past the repository has had problems crashing from doing these updates and then performing downloads (its been resolved, but it really doesn't have the infrastructure to do it properly I think).
January 10
On Friday, 10 January 2020 at 04:06:28 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> You are.
>
> It is an implementation detail, not policy.
>
> To do it 100% generically dub repository will have to understand each VCS system, check it out and then archive it before shipping it off on request. Instead of just downloading an archive from the provider.
>
> You may not know this, but in the past the repository has had problems crashing from doing these updates and then performing downloads (its been resolved, but it really doesn't have the infrastructure to do it properly I think).
And this is why I dig ditches for a living. Thank you for the (what should've been obvious) explanation.
Next ›   Last »
1 2 3