May 12, 2021
On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 09:24:05 UTC, xBuzz wrote:
> On Sunday, 9 May 2021 at 20:57:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12507
>>
>> If you could add a C compiler to dmd with 3000 lines of code, so C code could be imported directly? I would!
>
> I'm gonna say something you don't like. I know everyone (including myself) hates such kind of posts. I'm sorry in advance, I simply don't have an idea how to make you realize that the current way of the language evolution leads to nowhere. Of course, it's your project and not my business. No one owes anyone anything, but if you continue to spread resources on something other than fixing what you already have, I doubt dlang will get more popularity. Nobody wants to invest
New things are always not optimal if we talk about human rssources. At least it is the problem of thouse humans, who spend their resources.

> time/money to build their project based on a broken foundation. Look at the language. It's not consistent. It's just a bunch of features coupled together, part of them don't even work as designed. "shared", "scope", properties, even the initialization of associative arrays aren't finished (and this is just the tip of the iceberg). I've been following these
Are you really exaggerating.There are deep problems, but you should never panic.

> forums for years, trying dlang again and again. Many question threads end with advent of Jonathan M Davis (I really appreciate it) stating a fact that "sadly, it's not implemented/fixed yet". Look at changelogs of dmd. Bugfixes,
I do really appreciate it too.

> deprecations and virtually no language improvements/fixes. There are many issues in existing functionality and nobody cares to do something with it. Of course it's much more
Are you ready to care about it?

> entertaining to play with integration of a C compiler, rather than do a hard work of trying to eliminate broken/unfinished things. Is there a roadmap with planned features/fixes/improvements for each milestone? You don't plan
To my mind, the support of C is what should be done 10 or more years ago. I'd not stop on the latest C ISO, I'd add more featurs from C++.

> features/improvements for upcoming releases? It's been many years of stagnation, maybe it's time to finally start working on getting a solid core language?
> I know, I know... Who am I to criticize you, right? I've done nothing and you've created a valuable project. I just hope you
You're talking about what most people think.

> won't bury the fruit of your many years of hard work and I sincerely wish you a good luck!

Everyone should do the best of him.

May 12, 2021
The advantage of the forum is that it is lively and can discuss issues.

But the disadvantage of this forum is that it does not collect some useful information in a separate subsection.

So, I would suggest to the D people,

You should answer the user's questions and put a separate subsection.

Especially D novices, they need to understand the future of D, the future, the current situation of D.

Don't be afraid of late, don't be afraid of criticism, don't be afraid of making mistakes.

Fear is that the novice can not find a solution to their confusion.

Without the participation of novices, is water without a source, again.
So c++, is very concerned about novice friendly
we,should learn from it.

May 12, 2021
On Sunday, 9 May 2021 at 20:57:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> If you could add a C compiler to dmd with 3000 lines of code,

As of the time of this writing it has already grown to:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12507

+3,905 −42

30% overbudget just three days after the announcement. I stand by my prediction that this is going to end up a LOT bigger than it looked at first.
May 12, 2021
On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 13:01:41 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> If you could add a C compiler to dmd with 3000 lines of code,
>
> As of the time of this writing it has already grown to:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12507
>
> +3,905 −42
>
> 30% overbudget just three days after the announcement. I stand by my prediction that this is going to end up a LOT bigger than it looked at first.

From the PR
> WalterBright added the Trivial label 3 days ago

Found it funny.

C is not a fast moving target, so this is probably worth doing.
May 12, 2021
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12507
>>
>> If you could add a C compiler to dmd with 3000 lines of code, so C code could be imported directly? I would!
>
> Of course, it's your project and not my business.

Agreed.

> one owes anyone anything, but if you continue to spread resources on something other than fixing what you already have, I doubt dlang will get more popularity. Nobody wants to invest time/money to build their project based on a broken foundation.

> I know, I know... Who am I to criticize you, right? I've done nothing and you've created a valuable project. I just hope you won't bury the fruit of your many years of hard work and I sincerely wish you a good luck!

Well one thing I have realized about the D project is that it is truly about whatever each person wants to work on. There is no organization / roadmap / plan. And yet the great thing is that it has a bunch of talented people working on it.

Its a unique social phenomenon.

To expect Walter to do what you think is right, is futile. I guess he has earned the right to work on whatever he fancies.

Regards

May 12, 2021
On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 11:39:33 UTC, Igor Shirkalin wrote:
>
> years ago. I'd not stop on the latest C ISO, I'd add more featurs from C++.
>

I'm thinking in the same lines. It would be nice if importC would be able to detect abstract C++ classes and convert them to extern(C++) interfaces. Then we have inheritance support to think of as well.

This proposal has a tendency to grow. It might be a useful tool and people will demand more of it all the time if it becomes popular. Implementing importC will open that can of worms.
May 12, 2021
> [...]

My point of view: Adding this feature will raise attention in the developer community . My hope is this will lead to a lot new developers start using D because of the seamless integration with C.

At the end, more D developers will lead to more developers which will work on the D ecosystem, including the D compilers / standard library.

Therefore it is actually a smart decision in my opinion.

Kind regards
Andre
May 12, 2021
On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 14:41:17 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 09:24:05 UTC, xBuzz wrote:
>> [...]
>
> My point of view: Adding this feature will raise attention in the developer community . My hope is this will lead to a lot new developers start using D because of the seamless integration with C.
>
> At the end, more D developers will lead to more developers which will work on the D ecosystem, including the D compilers / standard library.
>
> Therefore it is actually a smart decision in my opinion.
>
> Kind regards
> Andre

+1

If this get to "just works" it will be a game changer imo
May 12, 2021
On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 14:41:17 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 09:24:05 UTC, xBuzz wrote:
>> [...]
>
> My point of view: Adding this feature will raise attention in the developer community . My hope is this will lead to a lot new developers start using D because of the seamless integration with C.

I don't think the people who have left did it because of C interop. C++ interop maybe.  People who left most likely did it because of inconsistencies and memory management challenges.

May 12, 2021
On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 15:22:08 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 14:41:17 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 09:24:05 UTC, xBuzz wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> My point of view: Adding this feature will raise attention in the developer community . My hope is this will lead to a lot new developers start using D because of the seamless integration with C.
>
> I don't think the people who have left did it because of C interop. C++ interop maybe.  People who left most likely did it because of inconsistencies and memory management challenges.

I think it's possible to have people who left and people who join can have very little to do with each other.

Jordan