Thread overview
Building LDC on windows, woe is me!
Aug 19, 2023
claptrap
Aug 20, 2023
claptrap
Aug 21, 2023
kinke
Aug 21, 2023
claptrap
Nov 14
claptrap
August 19, 2023

Ok been banging my head against this for a few hours and getting nowhere. Following the windows build instructions up to the point of generating NINJA build files...

cmake -G Ninja ..\ldc -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="C:\LDCDEV\LDC-x64" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DLLVM_ROOT_DIR="C:/LDCDEV/LLVM-x64"

gives me this...

=================
kind: "try_compile-v1"
backtrace:
- "C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.27/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerABI.cmake:57 (try_compile)"
- "C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.27/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:26 (CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ABI)"
- "CMakeLists.txt:15 (project)"
checks:
- "Detecting C compiler ABI info"
directories:
source: "C:/LDCDEV/build-ldc-x64/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-bp4cti"
binary: "C:/LDCDEV/build-ldc-x64/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-bp4cti"
cmakeVariables:
CMAKE_C_FLAGS: ""
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS: ""
buildResult:
variable: "CMAKE_C_ABI_COMPILED"
cached: true
stdout: |
Change Dir: 'C:/LDCDEV/build-ldc-x64/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-bp4cti'

    Run Build Command(s): C:/NINJA/ninja.exe -v cmTC_90234
    [1/2] C:\\PROGRA~2\\MICROS~2\\2019\\COMMUN~1\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\1429~1.301\\bin\\Hostx64\\x64\\cl.exe  /nologo   /MDd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /RTC1 /showIncludes /FoCMakeFiles\\cmTC_90234.dir\\CMakeCCompilerABI.c.obj /FdCMakeFiles\\cmTC_90234.dir\\ /FS -c "C:\\Program Files\\CMake\\share\\cmake-3.27\\Modules\\CMakeCCompilerABI.c"
    [2/2] cmd.exe /C "cd . && "C:\\Program Files\\CMake\\bin\\cmake.exe" -E vs_link_exe --intdir=CMakeFiles\\cmTC_90234.dir --rc=rc --mt=CMAKE_MT-NOTFOUND --manifests  -- C:\\PROGRA~2\\MICROS~2\\2019\\COMMUN~1\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\1429~1.301\\bin\\Hostx64\\x64\\link.exe /nologo CMakeFiles\\cmTC_90234.dir\\CMakeCCompilerABI.c.obj  /out:cmTC_90234.exe /implib:cmTC_90234.lib /pdb:cmTC_90234.pdb /version:0.0 /debug /INCREMENTAL /subsystem:console  kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib && cd ."
    FAILED: cmTC_90234.exe
    cmd.exe /C "cd . && "C:\\Program Files\\CMake\\bin\\cmake.exe" -E vs_link_exe --intdir=CMakeFiles\\cmTC_90234.dir --rc=rc --mt=CMAKE_MT-NOTFOUND --manifests  -- C:\\PROGRA~2\\MICROS~2\\2019\\COMMUN~1\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\1429~1.301\\bin\\Hostx64\\x64\\link.exe /nologo CMakeFiles\\cmTC_90234.dir\\CMakeCCompilerABI.c.obj  /out:cmTC_90234.exe /implib:cmTC_90234.lib /pdb:cmTC_90234.pdb /version:0.0 /debug /INCREMENTAL /subsystem:console  kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib && cd ."
    RC Pass 1: command "rc /fo CMakeFiles\\cmTC_90234.dir/manifest.res CMakeFiles\\cmTC_90234.dir/manifest.rc" failed (exit code 0) with the following output:
    The system cannot find the file specified
    ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

  exitCode: 1

============

It works with the MVSC 2019 generator, but I have no idea why it wont generate the NINJA build files. I tried running it from the VS Developer Command prompt, and that doesnt work either, different error messages, and looks like it might be trying to link to x86 libs instead of x64, but cant seem to figure out how to change that.

disclaimer: total newbie on CMAKE, build scripts, etc...

August 20, 2023

On Saturday, 19 August 2023 at 19:47:15 UTC, claptrap wrote:

>

Ok been banging my head against this for a few hours and getting nowhere. Following the windows build instructions up to the point of generating NINJA build files...

Ok got as far as generating NINJA build files, but now the build is failing...

C:\LDCDEV\build-ldc-x64>ninja
[1/104] Linking CXX executable bin\FileCheck.exe
FAILED: bin/FileCheck.exe

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __std_find_trivial_8
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __std_find_trivial_1
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __std_init_once_link_alternate_names_and_abort

and others

Actual output is prob 1000 lines but seems to be mostly unresolved eternal symbols, in llvm.

Any ideas?

August 21, 2023

On Sunday, 20 August 2023 at 00:12:06 UTC, claptrap wrote:

>

Ok got as far as generating NINJA build files, but now the build is failing...

C:\LDCDEV\build-ldc-x64>ninja
[1/104] Linking CXX executable bin\FileCheck.exe
FAILED: bin/FileCheck.exe

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __std_find_trivial_8
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __std_find_trivial_1
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __std_init_once_link_alternate_names_and_abort

and others

Actual output is prob 1000 lines but seems to be mostly unresolved eternal symbols, in llvm.

Any ideas?

I guess you're using a prebuilt LLVM but a non-matching Visual C++ version. Our prebuilt LLVM is built with VS 2022 and clang 15. As stated in https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_and_hacking_LDC_on_Windows_using_MSVC#Building_LLVM, you'll need to build LLVM yourself in such a case.

August 21, 2023

On Monday, 21 August 2023 at 08:15:16 UTC, kinke wrote:

>

On Sunday, 20 August 2023 at 00:12:06 UTC, claptrap wrote:

>

Ok got as far as generating NINJA build files, but now the build is failing...

C:\LDCDEV\build-ldc-x64>ninja
[1/104] Linking CXX executable bin\FileCheck.exe
FAILED: bin/FileCheck.exe

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __std_find_trivial_8
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __std_find_trivial_1
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __std_init_once_link_alternate_names_and_abort

and others

Actual output is prob 1000 lines but seems to be mostly unresolved eternal symbols, in llvm.

Any ideas?

I guess you're using a prebuilt LLVM but a non-matching Visual C++ version. Our prebuilt LLVM is built with VS 2022 and clang 15. As stated in https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_and_hacking_LDC_on_Windows_using_MSVC#Building_LLVM, you'll need to build LLVM yourself in such a case.

Thanks, I managed to get it all to work, I had to build llvm from scratch as you suggest.

There were a few other things tripping me up but I got there in the end. I just deleted everything and ran though the instructions more carefully. With what I learned from the first try it all went smoothly.

Making sure everything was "run as administrator" was probably the main issue. Like for some reason if I forgot to run the shell as administrator, CMAKE would run, but it would error out on odd things. Like it would detect the compilers, but not the compiler ABI.

October 21

On Monday, 21 August 2023 at 08:55:02 UTC, claptrap wrote:

>

On Monday, 21 August 2023 at 08:15:16 UTC, kinke wrote:

>

[...]

Thanks, I managed to get it all to work, I had to build llvm from scratch as you suggest.

There were a few other things tripping me up but I got there in the end. I just deleted everything and ran though the instructions more carefully. With what I learned from the first try it all went smoothly.

Making sure everything was "run as administrator" was probably the main issue. Like for some reason if I forgot to run the shell as administrator, CMAKE would run, but it would error out on odd things. Like it would detect the compilers, but not the compiler ABI.

You might be the only individual in the universe who have made it.

Can you post some build scrips and setup for how you got everything to work?

November 14

On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 08:16:42 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:

>

On Monday, 21 August 2023 at 08:55:02 UTC, claptrap wrote:

>

On Monday, 21 August 2023 at 08:15:16 UTC, kinke wrote:

>

[...]

Thanks, I managed to get it all to work, I had to build llvm from scratch as you suggest.

There were a few other things tripping me up but I got there in the end. I just deleted everything and ran though the instructions more carefully. With what I learned from the first try it all went smoothly.

Making sure everything was "run as administrator" was probably the main issue. Like for some reason if I forgot to run the shell as administrator, CMAKE would run, but it would error out on odd things. Like it would detect the compilers, but not the compiler ABI.

You might be the only individual in the universe who have made it.

Can you post some build scrips and setup for how you got everything to work?

I followed the instructions to the letter, same folder names, one step at a time, from here...

https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_and_hacking_LDC_on_Windows_using_MSVC

I had to ensure the command prompts were always run as administrator. It gave odd error messages if I forgot to do that.

I did it on a fresh install of windows 10, with a fresh install of VS2017, I literally tried to replicate everything listed in the instructions.

IIRC The only thing I had to do extra was passing "-DD_COMPILER=c:\path\to\ldmd2.exe." to ninja, it's listed in the section "Building LDC" but doesn't really tell you why you might need it.

I'm not 100% sure that's all there was to it but if you can't get it to work I can always have a run at it again and keep notes of exactly how I got it to work.