October 26
On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 13:25:53 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 10:11:34 UTC, JN wrote:
>>> I actually named my language after Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life games which I liked to play. He gets lots done with little resources and is silent. My favorite game character.
>>
>> I was hoping the language is inspired after Gordon Ramsay. With compile errors like:
>>
>> "Look at these pointers, they're RAW",
>> "This syntax is disgusting"
>> "The code is not good enough!"
>
> Haha! Maybe auto-enable such a mode on April 1st each year.

And just so people could still successfully build their projects that day, a compiler switch would appear, "-disable-ramsay".
October 26

On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 10:13:14 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:

>

decided I'd post about my primarily D-influenced programming language here.

Looks very interesting. Why did you create it?

October 26

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 15:12:08 UTC, Dennis wrote:

>

On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 10:13:14 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:

>

decided I'd post about my primarily D-influenced programming language here.

Looks very interesting. Why did you create it?

I wanted to have a language that accurately supports my way of doing programming and doesn't have many features beyond that, a lean language.

I wanted more clarity and stability and a more Rust like module system and a different conditional compilation system. I absolutely love how those work together in Gordon.

As a nice overall kind of bonus, I could do numerous little tweaks and changes with full freedom. Like the opposite of a death by a thousand paper cuts.

I could revamp the compiler interface too, not that I ever had gripes with dmd's.

And you know this was my dream, it was in me, I had to let it out! :)

October 26

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 18:19:59 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 15:12:08 UTC, Dennis wrote:

>

[...]

I wanted to have a language that accurately supports my way of doing programming and doesn't have many features beyond that, a lean language.

I wanted more clarity and stability and a more Rust like module system and a different conditional compilation system. I absolutely love how those work together in Gordon.

As a nice overall kind of bonus, I could do numerous little tweaks and changes with full freedom. Like the opposite of a death by a thousand paper cuts.

I could revamp the compiler interface too, not that I ever had gripes with dmd's.

And you know this was my dream, it was in me, I had to let it out! :)

How does D-interop work?

October 27

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 20:26:57 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 18:19:59 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:

>

[...]

How does D-interop work?

I'm not sure what you mean, there is no D-interop. It's just a similar language so by tweaks etc I mean differences to D.

October 27
On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 10:11:34 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 04:38:40 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:
>> On Monday, 25 October 2021 at 18:38:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the kind words!
>>>
>>> P.S. The quote is from Flash Gordon.
>>
>> Ah, didn't know about that although have heard the name somewhere.
>>
>> I actually named my language after Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life games which I liked to play. He gets lots done with little resources and is silent. My favorite game character.
>
> I was hoping the language is inspired after Gordon Ramsay. With compile errors like:
>
> "Look at these pointers, they're RAW",
> "This syntax is disgusting"
> "The code is not good enough!"

"Delicious"
"Thank you darling"
"3 0 cry"
October 27

On Wednesday, 27 October 2021 at 06:04:01 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 20:26:57 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 18:19:59 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:

>

[...]

How does D-interop work?

I'm not sure what you mean, there is no D-interop. It's just a similar language so by tweaks etc I mean differences to D.

Ok, I didn't look at it. Just thought it was a derivative of D, sorry 😎

November 16

On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 10:13:14 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:

>

Hello,

>

I don't know how to make websites... and I want a much lighter background actually.

Take a look! :)

Haven't done html in years, but I believe this line is specifying the color of your text and the color of your background:

-> body { font-family: monospace; color: #e0e0da; background-color: #1b1d1e; } <-

The values in main.css are for a dark text on a light background: background: #F0EDE3;
color: #33290A;

You could either remove the "{body.." line from index.html or modify the "color" and "background-color" attribute values.

November 17

On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 10:13:14 UTC, Tero Hänninen wrote:

>

Hello,

decided I'd post about my primarily D-influenced programming language here.
...
Website:
https://tjhann.github.io/gordon-web/

 1 // The default enum base type is ubyte to not bloat structs (better for cache use).
 2 enum MODE : int {
 3     FAST,
 4     DEEP,
 5     ADAPTIVE,
 6 }
 7
 8 int main()
 9 {
10     auto m = MODE.DEEP;
11
12     // A switch on enum must be exhaustive of course.
13     switch (m) {
14         case MODE.FAST:
15             break;  // empty case falls through by default – use break to avoid
16         case MODE.DEEP:
17             int a = 1234;
18             goto;   // fall through
19         case MODE.ADAPTIVE:
20             // do something
21     }
22
23     return 0;
24 }

Where does "goto ..." branch to in example code above, line 18? In D, it can be an external identifier: 22 EXTERNAL: // from switch...

Does Gordon have it? Also isn't there a scope hierarchy, line 17?

Because a defined inside scope cannot be accessed from outside scope.

Finally, we use final switch in D, if there is no default.

I wish you accomplish everything...

Next ›   Last »
1 2