February 01, 2001
Walter wrote:

> What's the include path misery? -Walter

Well, if you have a project where files are located in different directoires and you define:

INCLUDE=/3rd/include;/3rd/include/sys;/3rd/include/win;/3rd/include/db;/3rd/include/win/mfc;

LIB=/3rd/lib;/3rd/lib/sys;/3rd/lib/win;/3rd/lib/db;/3rd/lib/win/mfc;

in the IDE, after you run the build it most likely looks like:

INCLUDE=/3rd/include;/3rd/include/sys;/3rd/include/win;/3rd/include/db;/3rd/include/win/mfc;/3rd/lib;/3rd/lib/sys;/3rd/lib/win;/3rd/lib/db;/3rd/lib/win/mfc;

LIB=/3rd/lib;/3rd/lib/sys;/3rd/lib/win;/3rd/lib/db;/3rd/lib/win/mfc;/3rd/include;/3rd/include/sys;/3rd/include/win;/3rd/include/db;/3rd/include/win/mfc;

Or something like that.
In other words, it just adds everything in INCLUDE to LIB and everything in LIB
to INCLUDE.
Worse, if you ever would do #include <Btrieve/Btrieve.hpp> and Btrieve is a sub
of /3rd/include/db you mostlikely will find /3rd/include/db/Btrieve in INCLUDE
and LIB as well....

It has been that way with their IDE for some time, but 5.0 is really the worst...

Jan

February 01, 2001
The whole concept of using environment variables to get the include & lib path is a botch, which becomes painfully obvious when you have to deal with multiple compilers (and even multiple versions of those compilers!).

This is why I came up with the sc.ini scheme, where the compiler looks for its "environment" from that file, which resides in the directory where it found sc.exe.

My goal is to provide a compiler system that does not use environment variable settings or system registry settings.

Environment variables are very useful, however, in transmitting long command lines to child processes. Sadly, no other vendor ever adopted that technique (which is used in all the digital mars command line driven utilities).

"Arjan Knepper" <arjan@jak.nl> wrote in message news:3A79AC5D.1ED9913A@jak.nl...
> The C++BUILDER IDE automagically adds the project source file path(s) to
the
> compiler include path. And your not able to control the hierarchy.
>
> Walter wrote:
> > What's the include path misery? -Walter

February 02, 2001
I have been chattering back and forth with Jan for quite a while, so I have been aware of where the discussion about the compiler has been hosted over time. I was in the original Symantec newsgroup, then the egroups thing, and how here. Just because I was looking did not mean that I turned my back! ;o)

"Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote in message news:95b27f$21am$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>
> Matt Morgan wrote in message <95a9c1$1k6f$1@digitaldaemon.com>...
> >I've come home.
>
>
> Just out of curiousity, how did you find the new home (digitalmars)? It's not been indexed by the search engines yet.
>
> (Though people can help by putting a link to it on their web sites so the web crawlers will find it! The more independent links to
www.digitalmars.com
> there are, the higher it will be in the search rankings.)
>
> -Walter
>
>

February 02, 2001
I'm just a little frustrated because I submitted the URL to all the search engines last December, and it's shown up in none of them. Sigh. -Walter

Matt Morgan wrote in message <95da6d$5cf$1@digitaldaemon.com>...
>I have been chattering back and forth with Jan for quite a while, so I have been aware of where the discussion about the compiler has been hosted over time. I was in the original Symantec newsgroup, then the egroups thing, and how here. Just because I was looking did not mean that I turned my back!
;o)
>
>"Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote in message news:95b27f$21am$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>> Matt Morgan wrote in message <95a9c1$1k6f$1@digitaldaemon.com>...
>> >I've come home.
>>
>>
>> Just out of curiousity, how did you find the new home (digitalmars)? It's not been indexed by the search engines yet.
>>
>> (Though people can help by putting a link to it on their web sites so the web crawlers will find it! The more independent links to
>www.digitalmars.com
>> there are, the higher it will be in the search rankings.)
>>
>> -Walter
>>
>>
>
>

February 02, 2001
Submit it again!
It used to be that "Microsoft Foundation Classes" in altavista.com gave as first
website http://www.dpc-tech.com/ (friends of mine) just because their secretary
submitted their site over and over again.

Also, I also submitted digitalmars.com to google.com and altavista.com...

Jan

Walter wrote:

> I'm just a little frustrated because I submitted the URL to all the search engines last December, and it's shown up in none of them. Sigh. -Walter
>
> Matt Morgan wrote in message <95da6d$5cf$1@digitaldaemon.com>...
> >I have been chattering back and forth with Jan for quite a while, so I have been aware of where the discussion about the compiler has been hosted over time. I was in the original Symantec newsgroup, then the egroups thing, and how here. Just because I was looking did not mean that I turned my back!
> ;o)
> >
> >"Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote in message news:95b27f$21am$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> >>
> >> Matt Morgan wrote in message <95a9c1$1k6f$1@digitaldaemon.com>...
> >> >I've come home.
> >>
> >>
> >> Just out of curiousity, how did you find the new home (digitalmars)? It's not been indexed by the search engines yet.
> >>
> >> (Though people can help by putting a link to it on their web sites so the web crawlers will find it! The more independent links to
> >www.digitalmars.com
> >> there are, the higher it will be in the search rankings.)
> >>
> >> -Walter
> >>
> >>
> >
> >

February 02, 2001
Hmmm, right now it is number 12 in altavista.com!
They must be slowing down!

Jan

Jan Knepper wrote:

> Submit it again!
> It used to be that "Microsoft Foundation Classes" in altavista.com gave as first
> website http://www.dpc-tech.com/ (friends of mine) just because their secretary
> submitted their site over and over again.
>
> Also, I also submitted digitalmars.com to google.com and altavista.com...
>
> Jan
>
> Walter wrote:
>
> > I'm just a little frustrated because I submitted the URL to all the search engines last December, and it's shown up in none of them. Sigh. -Walter
> >
> > Matt Morgan wrote in message <95da6d$5cf$1@digitaldaemon.com>...
> > >I have been chattering back and forth with Jan for quite a while, so I have been aware of where the discussion about the compiler has been hosted over time. I was in the original Symantec newsgroup, then the egroups thing, and how here. Just because I was looking did not mean that I turned my back!
> > ;o)
> > >
> > >"Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote in message news:95b27f$21am$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> > >>
> > >> Matt Morgan wrote in message <95a9c1$1k6f$1@digitaldaemon.com>...
> > >> >I've come home.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Just out of curiousity, how did you find the new home (digitalmars)? It's not been indexed by the search engines yet.
> > >>
> > >> (Though people can help by putting a link to it on their web sites so the web crawlers will find it! The more independent links to
> > >www.digitalmars.com
> > >> there are, the higher it will be in the search rankings.)
> > >>
> > >> -Walter
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > >

1 2
Next ›   Last »