July 23, 2002
"Burton Radons" <loth@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message news:3D3D3B83.60203@users.sourceforge.net...
> dchar is another one (I don't know what header file it's from), and a source of a small problem - the code assumes wchar_t is two bytes at several points.

Those dependencies are bugs, could you send me the file/line of them?

dchar is more or less my failed attempt at a unified char/wchar/mbcs header.

July 24, 2002
> <g>
> I guess that is part of the deal with a compiler that is in progress.
> I don't think there is anything else the code generator can do. It is being called by
> the front-end and lives on data provided by the front-end. The parse should deliver the
> correct 'tree' structure to the code generator to generate the code from.
> 
> Jan
> 

Is there any information about the output that the D front end creates?
I know the gcc tree structure is woefully undocumented. Also, if
anybody has gotten the D front end to compile under Linux,
any chance of posting a zip or tarball of the ported code on
opend.org so others (like me) can play around with it without
reinventing the wheel? (albeit a complicated wheel.)

Thanks,
-Jon

July 24, 2002
Jonathan Andrew wrote:

> > <g>
> > I guess that is part of the deal with a compiler that is in progress.
> > I don't think there is anything else the code generator can do. It is being called by
> > the front-end and lives on data provided by the front-end. The parse should deliver the
> > correct 'tree' structure to the code generator to generate the code from.
>
> Is there any information about the output that the D front end creates?

It's called Walter Bright <g>

> I know the gcc tree structure is woefully undocumented. Also, if
> anybody has gotten the D front end to compile under Linux,
> any chance of posting a zip or tarball of the ported code on
> opend.org so others (like me) can play around with it without
> reinventing the wheel? (albeit a complicated wheel.)

I am working on that and as soon as I have it all done (just compile I mean) it indeed will appear on opend.org. Actually it will be in CVS and a HEAD tarball will be created daily.

Jan

July 24, 2002
Jan Knepper wrote:
> 
> I am working on that and as soon as I have it all done (just compile I mean) it indeed will
> appear on opend.org. Actually it will be in CVS and a HEAD tarball will be created daily.
> 
> Jan
> 

Fantastic! I'm really looking forward to it.

-Jon

July 24, 2002
Walter wrote:

> "Burton Radons" <loth@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
> news:3D3D3B83.60203@users.sourceforge.net...
> 
>>dchar is another one (I don't know what header file it's from), and a
>>source of a small problem - the code assumes wchar_t is two bytes at
>>several points.
> 
> Those dependencies are bugs, could you send me the file/line of them?

In lexer.c search for "case '\\':" and the StringConstant functions. Also, there are a couple uses of writeword where writedchar is intended, and a couple "/ 2" snippets should be "/ sizeof (wchar_t)", or perhaps "dchar".  Also charConstant, but that's dead code anyway.  Sorry that I can't be more specific, but I passed the file through indent.

> dchar is more or less my failed attempt at a unified char/wchar/mbcs header.

I'd assumed it was a failed attempt at UTF-8, actually.  :-)

July 24, 2002
"Burton Radons" <loth@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message news:3D3C378A.3050508@users.sourceforge.net...
> Jan Knepper wrote:
>
> > Burton Radons wrote:
> >
> >
> >>>It would have been great when you would have reported this before as I also already have done some of this.
> >>>
> >>Oh, it just took this night anyway, unless if you have other code.  It's (DMD, that is) now compiling a test properly and is throwing an unimplemented on Module::genobjfile, which is supposed to do everything in the backend.  So everything past that point is backend.
> >
> > Well, it only took me an hour or two... So it's not that bad...
> > One of the cute things to know is that Walter seems to use a compiler
trick
> > in DMC++ where he includes total.h as first header for every source
file.
>
>
> Ah, I was wondering why I needed to add so many includes.  The only frontend code that's missing was stringbuffer.
>
>
> >>I'm not interested in working on BrightD, so I'm now going ahead with writing my own backend.  I'll put down lots of documentation as I figure out things and make a zip sometime.
> >>
> >
> > You mean, you are not interested in the GLUE layer for the D-front-end
and
> > the GCC-back-end?
> > What are you writing a back-end for?
>
>
> Entertainment, education.  Also, using GNU as a backend doesn't fit in my long-term plan of a compiler-in-a-library.  I want to eventually convert DMD, with the backend, into D, and allow getting the parse tree using a single method call.  I'd convert it to D now but I'm sick of Windows.
>
>
> > If you want to make if 'public' we might be able to setup a newsgroup or
add
> > it to http://www.opend.org/
>
> A bit premature but thanks for the offer.
>
> The code:
>
>      int main ()
>      {
>          return 45;
>      }
>
> Now creates a correct object file.  I'm 0.01% done.  :-)
>

You might want to consider Gnu lightning or cgen (http://sources.redhat.com/cgen/) as starting points. Althought that will be less educational!

July 24, 2002
Jonathan Andrew wrote:

> 
>> <g>
>> I guess that is part of the deal with a compiler that is in progress.
>> I don't think there is anything else the code generator can do. It is being called by
>> the front-end and lives on data provided by the front-end. The parse should deliver the
>> correct 'tree' structure to the code generator to generate the code from.
> 
> Is there any information about the output that the D front end creates?

It's not too complex - it's a bunch of fully formed structs, unlike GCC's generic LISPish.  But I'm adding header documentation as I go.

> I know the gcc tree structure is woefully undocumented. Also, if
> anybody has gotten the D front end to compile under Linux,
> any chance of posting a zip or tarball of the ported code on
> opend.org so others (like me) can play around with it without
> reinventing the wheel? (albeit a complicated wheel.)

Oh, sure:

http://amateur-scrolls.sourceforge.net/old/dli-0.0.1.tar.gz

My additions, outside of fixing it to compile and behave properly in Linux, is mostly restrained to "machine.h" and "machine-i386.cc".  If you strip off the backend entirely, the main thing you'll need to fix up is the stringtable implementation, which I just stubbed as a linear list.

July 24, 2002
Burton Radons wrote:

> It's not too complex - it's a bunch of fully formed structs, unlike GCC's generic LISPish.  But I'm adding header documentation as I go.
> 

This is one thing that I was unsure of, from what I've read, the RTL
is LISPish, but before that comes a syntax tree, which should just
be a bunch of tree structs, right? Maybe I am confused on this.

> 
> Oh, sure:
> 
> http://amateur-scrolls.sourceforge.net/old/dli-0.0.1.tar.gz
> 
> My additions, outside of fixing it to compile and behave properly in Linux, is mostly restrained to "machine.h" and "machine-i386.cc".  If you strip off the backend entirely, the main thing you'll need to fix up is the stringtable implementation, which I just stubbed as a linear list.

Thanks!

-Jon

July 25, 2002
Burton Radons wrote:

> > Well, it only took me an hour or two... So it's not that bad...
> > One of the cute things to know is that Walter seems to use a compiler trick
> > in DMC++ where he includes total.h as first header for every source file.
> Ah, I was wondering why I needed to add so many includes.  The only frontend code that's missing was stringbuffer.

You can do the same with GCC.
I do not know which compiler you are using. Just use as compiler switch -include
total.h and safe yourself a lot of changes!

Jan

July 27, 2002
Status update.  The last few days I've been looking into various intermediate representation systems.  I'll be going to some variety in the future, but for now I decided to stick with the crappy stack-based code it's currently producing.  I was actually interested in LCC's system, but when I looked at the produced code I saw that it was really horrible.  This is good, as it's comparable to GCC in the computer language shootout, so producing cruddy code is not a death knell by any means, although it has a bad worst-case.

All integer arithmetic is done, and some of floating-point.  Locals are in and I'm just now working on arrays and my next hurdle is to start to port, compile and use Phobos.