Jun 04, 2005
Peri Hankey
Jun 04, 2005
David Friedman
Jun 04, 2005
Peri Hankey
June 04, 2005
Hello

I have some 3000 lines of code in a library that works when linked as a static library, but always crashes after a while when linked as a dynamic library.

When compiling to produce a shared library using '-fPIC -shared' I get
many messages of the form "Error: junk `(%ecx)' after expression".

If I just use '-shared' gdc produces a shared library, but this then crashes as outlined above. I take it that the -fPIC option is required, and that I am trying to run the wrong kind of code as shareable.

So I suppose my real question is: are we a long way from being able to make shared libraries on Linux?

The compiler is gdc-0.12-gcc-3.4.3 running in Mandrake 10.2 on a Celeron.

It would be very good to have shared libraries working, and
the code I am developing really needs to be available in that form.

Regards
Peri Hankey

June 04, 2005
Peri Hankey wrote:
> Hello
> 
> I have some 3000 lines of code in a library that works when linked as a static library, but always crashes after a while when linked as a dynamic library.
> 
> When compiling to produce a shared library using '-fPIC -shared' I get
> many messages of the form "Error: junk `(%ecx)' after expression".
> 
> If I just use '-shared' gdc produces a shared library, but this then crashes as outlined above. I take it that the -fPIC option is required, and that I am trying to run the wrong kind of code as shareable.
> 
> So I suppose my real question is: are we a long way from being able to make shared libraries on Linux?
> 
> The compiler is gdc-0.12-gcc-3.4.3 running in Mandrake 10.2 on a Celeron.
> 
> It would be very good to have shared libraries working, and
> the code I am developing really needs to be available in that form.
> 
> 
> Regards
> Peri Hankey
> 

Fix for assembler error and crashing:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/gdc-0.12-pic.diff

Shared libraries are supposed to be working now, but I had not been testing them interfaces and module dependencies.

David
June 04, 2005
David Friedman wrote:
> Peri Hankey wrote:
> 
>> Hello
>>
>> I have some 3000 lines of code in a library that works when linked as a static library, but always crashes after a while when linked as a dynamic library.
>>
>> When compiling to produce a shared library using '-fPIC -shared' I get
>> many messages of the form "Error: junk `(%ecx)' after expression".
>>
>> If I just use '-shared' gdc produces a shared library, but this then crashes as outlined above. I take it that the -fPIC option is required, and that I am trying to run the wrong kind of code as shareable.
>>
>> So I suppose my real question is: are we a long way from being able to make shared libraries on Linux?
>>
>> The compiler is gdc-0.12-gcc-3.4.3 running in Mandrake 10.2 on a Celeron.
>>
>> It would be very good to have shared libraries working, and
>> the code I am developing really needs to be available in that form.
>>
>>
>> Regards
>> Peri Hankey
>>
> 
> Fix for assembler error and crashing:
> 
> http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/gdc-0.12-pic.diff
> 
> 
> Shared libraries are supposed to be working now, but I had not been testing them interfaces and module dependencies.
> 
> David

David

Thanks very much - that seems to have done the trick. I have now successfully combined a shared library written in D with code written in both D and C doing nontrivial things, and am very pleased.

I'm aiming to surface soon with GPL stuff that I hope will be useful and interesting, and it should be more useful as a dynamic library.

Regards
Peri