January 28, 2004
Recently I developed an STL-like library that is basically a port to C# for iterators and algorithms--no containers!

The reason that I am posting here is:
- The STL expertise is here!
- I want to "test" how free is free, in particular if I base my port in
available STL code and STL documentation.

The difference between this approach and other approaches that I've seen on the internet is that:

- I keep the approach simple:  by covering iterators and algorithms only I don't intend to reinvent the containers in .NET--which by now are so embedded in tons of code that it would be a moot point, anyway.

- I've seen people interested in porting concepts from C++ to C#, and I think a good example could be STL.

- The iterators use _operators_.  Add, Subtract, Increment, Decrement operations are provided to interface with other .NET languages

I'd like to find out interested parties that I could *seriously* ask for their opinion.  The intent of the port is to make the library available for free--a la Boost or STLSoft--but at the same time make sure that I'm not infringing copyrights.

At this point, the library is working, with most of the following files ported:

<iterator>
<algorithm>
<function>

The documentation is available in HTML and Compiled HTML formats.  The library is provided at this point as an assembly, but source code could be available.

Of course, with the advent of Whidbey a new library will be in order to cover generics.

You can reply to this newsgroup or jestrada*at*developeer*dot*com

Regards,

Javier Estrada
jestrada*at*developeer*dot*com

January 29, 2004
"Javier Estrada" <ljestrada@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bv9bik$1rs1$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Recently I developed an STL-like library that is basically a port to C#
for
> iterators and algorithms--no containers!

Interesting.

> The reason that I am posting here is:
> - The STL expertise is here!

Maybe. ;)

> - I want to "test" how free is free, in particular if I base my port in available STL code and STL documentation.

I don't know what you mean by this

> The difference between this approach and other approaches that I've seen
on
> the internet is that:
>
> - I keep the approach simple:  by covering iterators and algorithms only I don't intend to reinvent the containers in .NET--which by now are so embedded in tons of code that it would be a moot point, anyway.

Simple is good! A lot of people tend to forget that. :)

> - I've seen people interested in porting concepts from C++ to C#, and I think a good example could be STL.
>
> - The iterators use _operators_.  Add, Subtract, Increment, Decrement operations are provided to interface with other .NET languages
>
> I'd like to find out interested parties that I could *seriously* ask for their opinion.  The intent of the port is to make the library available
for
> free--a la Boost or STLSoft--but at the same time make sure that I'm not infringing copyrights.

Sounds interesting. In Feb/Mar I'm about to start several new threads of work, to which this may be relevant:

1. my next book, which is about applied STL
2. working on the template library for D (news://news.digitalmars.com/d)
3. releasing a much updated STLSoft.

Maybe your ideas can spark new ideas in my work, and vice versa. Maybe your work can be incorporated in the STLSoft sub-project .netSTL (http://dotnetstl.org/), which I plan to release with v1.7.1? (There are a few little .netSTL things in v1.6.5, in the "research" sub-directory.)

> At this point, the library is working, with most of the following files ported:
>
> <iterator>
> <algorithm>
> <function>
>
> The documentation is available in HTML and Compiled HTML formats.  The library is provided at this point as an assembly, but source code could be available.

Please feel free to post it here, or to email me personally (matthew hat
synesis d0t com d0t au)

> Of course, with the advent of Whidbey a new library will be in order to cover generics.
>
> You can reply to this newsgroup or jestrada*at*developeer*dot*com
>
> Regards,
>
> Javier Estrada
> jestrada*at*developeer*dot*com

Matthew Wilson

STLSoft moderator
    (http://www.stlsoft.org)
Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
    (www.synesis.com.au/articles.html#columns)

"If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast" -- Mr Wolf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---