May 23, 2005
I certainly don't have the programming skills to do the task in a reasonable amount of time but I think you get a whole bunch of growth and appreciation for what Walter has created by being able to have the D Language on par with VB.Net, C#, C++ and JScript.Net.

Walter, I've followed your work since the first Zortech C++ compiler and I swear you are one of the most the prolific compiler/language deveopers the programming community has ever seen.   IMO, the D Language needs a leverage like the .Net Framework can provide.  I truly wish I had the requisite skills because I'd do it in a heartbeat.  I for one would use D over C# and C++ on .Net.

Continued success,

Steve

May 25, 2005
"Steve Hite" <Steve_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:d6togc$2ab0$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>
> I certainly don't have the programming skills to do the task in a
> reasonable
> amount of time but I think you get a whole bunch of growth and
> appreciation for
> what Walter has created by being able to have the D Language on par with
> VB.Net,
> C#, C++ and JScript.Net.
>

If I were going to write a program to run on the .NET platform, I think I'd just go ahead and use C#.

I like D because it has modern language features (garbage collection, no header files, no preprocessor, etc) and it's also a system level language. For example, on Windows there are "drivers" which run in user mode rather than kernel mode. You could use D to write something like this and it would be nice. But I wouldn't (couldn't?) use C# for such a thing. It wouldn't be fast enough.

An advantage of D is that it compiles directly to native code and is fast. If you were to build a version of D for .NET, then I think it would be losing that advantage. The speed would probably be more C# and so there wouldn't be as much benefit of D over C#.

But perhaps just creating such a thing might get D more notoriety. It might be worth it just for that. And perhaps having a language that is portable between .NET and native compilations would be useful, since C# doesn't do that.

Jim