November 24, 2005
Walter Bright wrote:
> What CPU is it? (The url for skyos doesn't work.)
> 
> 

It's for x86 cpus.  Perhaps the Linux port of dmd would be useful if a port to SkOS were persued. It may use a lot of the same linking technology.

I'm not sure if it uses elf or not, but it probably does, much like Linux.
November 24, 2005
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:05:00 +0100, John Reimer <terminal.node@gmail.com> wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
>> What CPU is it? (The url for skyos doesn't work.)
> It's for x86 cpus.
This is correct. Quote from the about section on the web page:

"SkyOS is an operating system written from scratch for x86 PC's. As required for a modern operating system, it supports features such as multiprocessor support (SMP), virtual memory, memory protection, multitasking and threading etc. Additionally, SkyOS has a built-in GUI system named SkyGI."

> I'm not sure if it uses elf or not, but it probably does, much like Linux.
ELF and PE should be supported, as far as I know.

So is it doable? Is this something someone in the D community could do, or would I have to make the chief (creator of SkyOS) himself do it? He didn't seem too thrilled the last time I asked him though. I don't have the experience to do it myself, but if someone could guide me through it, I'd gladely try to do it myself.
-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
November 24, 2005
If PE is supported, the first thing I'd do is see if the PE Windows executables DMD and OPTLINK will run unmodified.

November 25, 2005
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 00:46:49 +0100, Walter Bright <newshound@digitalmars.com> wrote:

> If PE is supported, the first thing I'd do is see if the PE Windows
> executables DMD and OPTLINK will run unmodified.
I downloaded DMD on SkyOS, unzipped it and ran the bin/dmd.exe file, with no success.

There's a cross compiler that can be used to compile C and C++ code to SkyOS executables within Windows. Doing a gcc -v shows that gcc is configured with --target=i386-skyos-pe.

So, next step?
-- 
November 25, 2005
So, what exactly is the "PE support" in SkyOS if it won't run PE executables? What happens when you try it?

November 25, 2005
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:38:00 +0100, Walter Bright <newshound@digitalmars.com> wrote:

> So, what exactly is the "PE support" in SkyOS if it won't run PE
> executables?
I'd have to talk to Robert about that, but he's currently unavailable.

> What happens when you try it?
It says: 'path/dmd.app: not in executable format: I/O error'

By the way, the web page is back up. You can post in the developer forum if you want more details. Maybe you can convince Robert to port it. He's a really smart guy, but he has lots to do, and doesn't see the point in porting D. He arguments that few people actually use it, it's future is unknown, and doesn't want to force a new language on people. I say, why not use the better language even though it's not as popular?
-- 
November 26, 2005
"Casper Ellingsen" <noreply@ellingsen.no> wrote in message news:op.s0tid8q9d9fset@casper.studby.ntnu.no...
> By the way, the web page is back up. You can post in the developer forum if you want more details. Maybe you can convince Robert to port it. He's a really smart guy, but he has lots to do, and doesn't see the point in porting D. He arguments that few people actually use it, it's future is unknown, and doesn't want to force a new language on people. I say, why not use the better language even though it's not as popular?

The irony here is I could say exactly the same thing about SkyOS!

The point is that those developers who would be interested in SkyOS are likely to be the same types of people who are interested in D - those interested in and willing to try new things outside the status quo.

November 26, 2005
Walter Bright wrote:
> "Casper Ellingsen" <noreply@ellingsen.no> wrote in message
> news:op.s0tid8q9d9fset@casper.studby.ntnu.no...
> 
>>By the way, the web page is back up. You can post in the developer forum
>>if you want more details. Maybe you can convince Robert to port it. He's a
>>really smart guy, but he has lots to do, and doesn't see the point in
>>porting D. He arguments that few people actually use it, it's future is
>>unknown, and doesn't want to force a new language on people. I say, why
>>not use the better language even though it's not as popular?
> 
> 
> The irony here is I could say exactly the same thing about SkyOS!
> 
> The point is that those developers who would be interested in SkyOS are
> likely to be the same types of people who are interested in D - those
> interested in and willing to try new things outside the status quo.
> 
> 

Well said!
November 26, 2005
"John Reimer" <terminal.node@gmail.com> wrote in message news:dmabn2$2r5p$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Walter Bright wrote:
> > "Casper Ellingsen" <noreply@ellingsen.no> wrote in message news:op.s0tid8q9d9fset@casper.studby.ntnu.no...
> >
> >>By the way, the web page is back up. You can post in the developer forum if you want more details. Maybe you can convince Robert to port it. He's
a
> >>really smart guy, but he has lots to do, and doesn't see the point in porting D. He arguments that few people actually use it, it's future is unknown, and doesn't want to force a new language on people. I say, why not use the better language even though it's not as popular?
> >
> > The irony here is I could say exactly the same thing about SkyOS!
> >
> > The point is that those developers who would be interested in SkyOS are likely to be the same types of people who are interested in D - those interested in and willing to try new things outside the status quo.
>
> Well said!

I might also add that the number one item a new operating system needs are: developer tools! With dev tools come the developers, and with the developers come the apps.

November 26, 2005
"Walter Bright" <newshound@digitalmars.com> wrote >
> "Casper Ellingsen" <noreply@ellingsen.no> wrote in message news:op.s0tid8q9d9fset@casper.studby.ntnu.no...
>> By the way, the web page is back up. You can post in the developer forum
>> if you want more details. Maybe you can convince Robert to port it. He's
>> a
>> really smart guy, but he has lots to do, and doesn't see the point in
>> porting D. He arguments that few people actually use it, it's future is
>> unknown, and doesn't want to force a new language on people. I say, why
>> not use the better language even though it's not as popular?
>
> The irony here is I could say exactly the same thing about SkyOS!

How true <g>