janderson
Feb 28, 2007
torhu
Mar 01, 2007
Bruno Medeiros
Mar 02, 2007
janderson
February 28, 2007
I don't know if this deserves an announcement but I changed the layout on wiki4d. I'm just waiting for someone to become annoyed with the new template and revert it back to the default. Because then it's on!! :P
The template is done by gorotron not by me. If you find any bugs feel free to fix them yourselves...:D
February 28, 2007
DavidSwe kirjoitti:
> I don't know if this deserves an announcement but I changed the layout on wiki4d. I'm just waiting for someone to become annoyed with the new template and revert it back to the default. Because then it's on!! :P
> The template is done by gorotron not by me. If you find any bugs feel free to fix them yourselves...:D

The fixed width is probably not a good idea. Some pictures don't fit to the page now, e.g

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport/GEdit

Is it possible to set min-width and max-width there?

The orange-yellow background is quite aggressive. I don't like it at all. Otherwise it's very nice.
February 28, 2007
Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
> DavidSwe kirjoitti:
>> I don't know if this deserves an announcement but I changed the layout on wiki4d. I'm just waiting for someone to become annoyed with the new template and revert it back to the default. Because then it's on!! :P
>> The template is done by gorotron not by me. If you find any bugs feel free to fix them yourselves...:D
> 
> The fixed width is probably not a good idea. Some pictures don't fit to
> the page now, e.g

Yes, the first thing I noticed was that the page should be wider, and use a larger font. It only uses half my screen space with a rather small font on my monitor.
Looking at the source, all sizes are specified in _pixels_. This is typically a Bad Thing for anyone using a higher resolution than the author uses. It certainly is for me...

> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport/GEdit

Ew, a horizontal scrollbar. I hate those, especially when it would probably fit fine with less huge margins.

> Is it possible to set min-width and max-width there?
> 
> The orange-yellow background is quite aggressive. I don't like it at
> all. Otherwise it's very nice.

I agree, the background should use another color. The focus should be on the content, not the borders.
February 28, 2007
Frits van Bommel Wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, the first thing I noticed was that the page should be wider, and use a larger font.  It only uses half my screen space with a rather small font on my monitor.

Wrong again.  It should have no width set at all.  Fixed width layouts on web pages should never have been invented.

> Looking at the source, all sizes are specified in _pixels_. This is typically a Bad Thing for anyone using a higher resolution than the author uses. It certainly is for me...
<snip>

It's nothing to do with resolution.  It's to do with basic accessibility principles and not disabling the means by which browsers implement such principles.

Either specify font sizes in ems, not pixels or points, or don't specify them at all.

Stewart.
February 28, 2007
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?action=edit&id=DocComments/WikiTemplate

HF. It's a wiki after all!

Stewart Gordon Wrote:

> Frits van Bommel Wrote:
> <snip>
> > Yes, the first thing I noticed was that the page should be wider, and use a larger font.  It only uses half my screen space with a rather small font on my monitor.
> 
> Wrong again.  It should have no width set at all.  Fixed width layouts on web pages should never have been invented.
> 
> > Looking at the source, all sizes are specified in _pixels_. This is typically a Bad Thing for anyone using a higher resolution than the author uses. It certainly is for me...
> <snip>
> 
> It's nothing to do with resolution.  It's to do with basic accessibility principles and not disabling the means by which browsers implement such principles.
> 
> Either specify font sizes in ems, not pixels or points, or don't specify them at all.
> 
> Stewart.

February 28, 2007
Stewart Gordon wrote:
> It should have no width set at all.  Fixed width layouts on web pages should never have been invented.
<delurk>
	Hear Hear!
<lurk>
February 28, 2007
DavidSwe wrote:
> I don't know if this deserves an announcement but I changed the layout on wiki4d. I'm just waiting for someone to become annoyed with the new template and revert it back to the default. Because then it's on!! :P
> The template is done by gorotron not by me. If you find any bugs feel free to fix them yourselves...:D

Its about time the wiki got an update.  It looks much better then before.

-Joel
February 28, 2007
DavidSwe wrote:

How do you revert to the previous one?
February 28, 2007
Stewart Gordon wrote:
> <snip>
>> Yes, the first thing I noticed was that the page should be wider, and use a larger font.  It only uses half my screen space with a rather small font on my monitor.
> 
> Wrong again.  It should have no width set at all.  Fixed width layouts on web pages should never have been invented.
> 
>> Looking at the source, all sizes are specified in _pixels_. This is typically a Bad Thing for anyone using a higher resolution than the author uses. It certainly is for me...
> <snip>
> 
> It's nothing to do with resolution.  It's to do with basic accessibility principles and not disabling the means by which browsers implement such principles.
> 
> Either specify font sizes in ems, not pixels or points, or don't specify them at all.
> 
> Stewart.

For general site layout, I agree.  However, for columnar layout of content, fixing the width for content has everything to do with readability for the sighted - I for one have a hard time reading paragraph after paragraph of text laid out at over 1000px wide.  Granted, I could just resize my browser, but the effect is hardly the same.

The ideal solution is having paragraphs elements that layout such that they create natural (magazine-style) columns regardless of the dimensions of the page itself.  But I have yet to see that happen without constraining the page width, height or number of columns in some way, without resorting to javascript hacks. ;)

-- 
- EricAnderton at yahoo
February 28, 2007
Stewart Gordon wrote:
> <snip>
>> Yes, the first thing I noticed was that the page should be wider, and use a larger font.  It only uses half my screen space with a rather small font on my monitor.
> 
> Wrong again.  It should have no width set at all.

It'll still have a width on my screen :P.
(Note I didn't say anything about a width *property*, just the width of the page. You know, the English word "width"?)

>  Fixed width layouts on web pages should never have been invented.

Very true. A portable document format (i.e. html) has no business specifying stuff in pixels.
*If* a width needs to be set, set it in ems. (Long paragraphs can get hard to read if the text is full-width)

This was pretty much what I meant to say. (I couldn't remember the name for the proper unit though)
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3