September 08, 2007
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 04:03:24 +0200, Tom S <h3r3tic@remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> wrote:

> Gregor Richards wrote:
>> Maybe he doesn't WANT non-Open-Source games using his engine, eh? That's everyone's right.
>
> !slap GregorR
> An engine doesn't really have to be open source if it's well scriptable :P

If you statically link to GPL code, like the way you do with Monster (if I understood correctly, the script bytecode is appended to the engine binary), then you must provide the source code for the entire executable, which includes your scripts. This means that, unless you're able to completely separate the output of the "compiler" to a distinct file, all games created and distributed by Monster must be open-source as per the GPL license.

-- 
Best regards,
  Vladimir                          mailto:thecybershadow@gmail.com
September 08, 2007
Anders Bergh Wrote:

> Oh yeah, an idea: why not use DSSS? This would let developers simply "dsss net install monster" to install everything, and makes it easier for people to use Monster in their own projects :-)

I plan on using DSSS, probably in the not-too-distant future :-)

> I take it Monster isn't Tango-compatible, which is bad for some of us... did you look into it?

To be honest I haven't look much into Tango yet, and haven't quite understood what the benefits are compared to Phobos. Is it possible to support both or do you have to choose?

- Nico
September 09, 2007
"Nicolay Korslund" <korslund@gmail.com> wrote in message news:fbuhuc$mha$1@digitalmars.com...
> To be honest I haven't look much into Tango yet, and haven't quite understood what the benefits are compared to Phobos. Is it possible to support both or do you have to choose?

Benefits: actively being worked on by a group of people who use D and development is open to anyone, vs. Phobos, which is worked on by the same guy who writes the D compiler and D spec and who doesn't really use D very much.  Provides a lot of useful functionality which is only half-heartedly implemented or not at all present in Phobos.  Most of the library is designed to avoid heap allocations wherever possible, especially in the IO, which was designed for server use, making it _much_ faster than Phobos in many cases.

Cons: it's not the default, and it's not completely done (though virtually anything Phobos can do Tango can do too, it's just some new features that are still being added, and of course bugs that are being fixed).

Supporting both Phobos and Tango is.. difficult at best, an absolute mess at worst.  There are some places where the two libraries don't really match up at all, i.e. their IO philosophies, so writing code which does the same IO stuff regardless of the standard library is very tricky.  It can be done, though.

There is a way to "support" both by using Tango and Tangobos.  This is by no means a permanent solution, however, as Tangobos is mostly there to act as a bridge between Tango and Phobos when there is no other option.  Tangobos Basically it's Phobos, but it's been slightly modified to use the Tango runtime, so you can compile code that depends on both Tango and Phobos in the same program.

1 2
Next ›   Last »