February 29
On 2/20/24 19:15, Marconi wrote:
> 
> Good programmers should have the most control of whats going on in their software.

So-called "good programmers" have been responsible for awful vulnerabilities that ruined people's safety and privacy for decades. It's pure hubris to think a non-trivial manually-memory managed program has any hope to get manual memory management correct as long as only "good programmers" are contributing to it. The fact that you are even advocating for this dynamic testing approach rips a big hole into this narrative of "good programmers".

Dynamic testing is not reliable because you simply do not enter the advanced adversarial inputs that are often necessary to expose and exploit the vulnerabilities.

Of course, once you have bought into the need for manual memory management (real or imagined), dynamic testing is better than nothing. However, telling people that they are not good programmers unless they use dangerous language features is simply irresponsible. The opposite is often the case.
February 29

On Thursday, 29 February 2024 at 14:28:56 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:

>

On 2/20/24 19:15, Marconi wrote:

>

Good programmers should have the most control of whats going on in their software.

So-called "good programmers" have been responsible for awful vulnerabilities that ruined people's safety and privacy for decades. It's pure hubris to think a non-trivial manually-memory managed program has any hope to get manual memory management correct as long as only "good programmers" are contributing to it.

I'd say you're both right. Good programmers should have the low-level control past the type system when needed... but not because they would be so good they can avoid mistakes there - they can't! They should have that tool, because they understand they will do damage if they have to wield it - and therefore, do so only when there really is good reason to.

Or at least, that's how it should be.

March 02
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 03:28:56PM +0100, Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 2/20/24 19:15, Marconi wrote:
> > 
> > Good programmers should have the most control of whats going on in their software.
> 
> So-called "good programmers" have been responsible for awful vulnerabilities that ruined people's safety and privacy for decades. It's pure hubris to think a non-trivial manually-memory managed program has any hope to get manual memory management correct as long as only "good programmers" are contributing to it. The fact that you are even advocating for this dynamic testing approach rips a big hole into this narrative of "good programmers".

The past 3 decades or so of industry experience has proven beyond a doubt that humans are notoriously bad at manual memory management. Just read the latest CVEs and note how big a percentage of serious security vulnerabilities are the result of bugs in manual memory management. Despite decades of industry experience, this percentage has not dwindled significantly in codebases that use manual memory management.

In my day job I work with expert C/C++ programmers with decades of experience under their belts, some of whom exceed my skill level.  We all know the theory behind how to manage memory correctly.  Guess what? The very same experts continue making slip-ups and mistakes that cause memory leaks, pointer bugs, use-after-free, etc.. In spite of decades of having to fix such bugs and think about how to avoid them.  Clearly, something isn't adding up.  If decades of field expertise has not reduced the incidence rate of memory-related bugs, one begins asking whether the problem isn't so much with "good programmers" as it is with the fact that *humans are bad at manual memory management*. Conceptually it's very simple -- allocate once, use n times, free once.  In practice it's a huge tangled web of complexity that even C experts with decades of experience have trouble fully mastering.  (Needless to say already what happens when the fragile codebase falls into the hands of less experienced coders: expect nothing less than a total sh*tshow.)

And tellingly enough, after about a decade or so in our current project, the lead programmers have moved away from using malloc/free directly and have implemented some kind of RC-based system. The fact that this decision was made tells you that even these experts with decades of experience realize that manually managing memory is an exercise in futility; something more automatic is necessary to prevent frequently repeated slip-ups.  Unfortunately, C being what it is, people still slip up anyway, like forgetting to call the function that decrements the RC count once they're done with the pointer, etc..  So the lead programmers moved toward region allocators -- let the junior programmers make as big a mess as they want, at the end of the task just free the entire region, no memory leaks. Problem solved, right?  Nope. Dangling references, use after free, etc., still abound.

Being C experts, said lead programmers are very down on the idea of GC (as is usual with people with that background -- including myself at one time).  But observing all of the above, I really can't help asking, is GC really *that* bad?  If we'd used a GC language from the beginning, how many hundreds, maybe even thousands, of man hours would have been saved from not having to chase down hard-to-catch pointer bugs, memory leaks, and other such lovely side-effects of mixing humans with manual memory management.  How much less crashes customers would have seen, and how much more time and energy we could have spent on implementing features instead of hunting down pointer bugs.

Of course, if job security is your goal, then by all means, go ahead and promote more manual memory management.  Me, I wanna make progress in the problem domain and actually write useful code, not play babysitter with manually-managed allocations and cleaning up all the leaks afterwards. I've done my fair share of spending tens even hundreds of hours chasing down hard-to-find, non-reproducible heisenbugs caused by dangling pointers, including tracing down the disassembly of the code and narrowing down the exact conditions to reproduce a rare race condition (took me a month to find it), all to pinpoint exactly where things went wrong.  I'm sick and tired of doing this same old thing over and over again.  Life is too short for manual memory management.  Pass me the GC, please.

"Good programmers" that always do the Right Thing(tm) don't exist. Even if they did, 99% of code out there isn't written by them.  That means 99% of code with manual memory management is full of bugs and lurking security holes waiting to be exploited.  The list of CVEs over the years prove this beyond any reasonable doubt.  It isn't 1995 anymore; we programmers, as a profession, ought to do better than still grasping onto manual memory management when much better options are now available.

T

-- 
Notwithstanding the eloquent discontent that you have just respectfully expressed at length against my verbal capabilities, I am afraid that I must unfortunately bring it to your attention that I am, in fact, NOT verbose.
1 2
Next ›   Last »