May 07, 2016
On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 16:50:10 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-05-07 at 15:17 +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> 
> […]
>> Besides, zero is just as arbitrary as thirty-two (which, btw, is a power of two*) and easy to remember if you use it anyway! I
> […]
>
> 0 is a power of two as well.
>

It is 2 power how many ?

May 07, 2016
On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 19:11:50 UTC, Mathias Lang wrote:
> In any case it should be accessible. As nice as the Salt Lake City location was, it was not easily accessible for everyone. When looking at the flight price (in November or December), it was twice as expensive to fly to SLL (from Berlin, using Air France) than to fly to LA / SF. So I'd favor New York over Boston for example.
>

Fly tips: Buy about 6 week in advance, this is when prices are the lowest. Buy outside of business hours.

May 07, 2016
On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 14:13:35 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> The atmosphere here is great, and I'm curious how it feels for those who are watching remotely. Is the experience good? What can we do better?
>
> Also: we're talking about the DConf 2017 location. Please share any initial thoughts!
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

Pretty sure everyone will agree that the next logical location would be Phoenix.  Am I right?
May 08, 2016
On 5/7/16 6:15 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> When people complain about the D forums, they aren't complaining about
> infrequent OT stuff.

Most related complaints I got at DConf were about off-topic posts. -- Andrei

May 08, 2016
On 07.05.2016 23:49, deadalnix wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 16:50:10 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Sat, 2016-05-07 at 15:17 +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>> […]
>>> Besides, zero is just as arbitrary as thirty-two (which, btw, is a
>>> power of two*) and easy to remember if you use it anyway! I
>> […]
>>
>> 0 is a power of two as well.
>>
>
> It is 2 power how many ?
>

void main(){
  assert(2^^32==0);
  assert(2^^-double.infinity==0);
  assert(2^^(new class{int opBinaryRight(string op)(int x){ return 0; }})==0);
}

May 08, 2016
On Saturday, 7 May 2016 at 07:40:59 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-05-06 at 20:59 +0000, John Colvin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 14:57:59 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> > [...]
>> 
>> Dublin has cheap direct flights from quite a few places in the US, as well as pretty much everywhere in europe.
>
> Obviously I will suggest London, but I guess it is a non-starter. The obvious venue would be Skills Matter's CodeNode, but the cost of accommodation in London is horrifying, and commuting is a non-starter. Well except for me.
>
> There are venues such as Coventry, the Techno Park has a great venue for up to about 200 people and fairly cheap and very local accommodation. (PyConUK has been using this venue for the last few years very successfully, it has only moved to Cardiff for a change and because of the problem of outgrowing the venue.)
>
> I have done the Gatwick → Dublin → (Gatwick | Birmingham) a few times,
> but on expenses so used taxis from Dublin airport to either Pearse
> Street or E Wall Road – the hotels shall remain nameless.
>
> What venue would be used in Dublin? I guess we could ask the PyConIE
> folk what they do, one of the hotels I think.

Another +1 for Dublin here too.

PyConIE is in the Radisson, which is very central and handy for everyone.
Theres many many other venues around the city too - including the RDS which has oceans of event space.

Also, tis a lovely city!
May 08, 2016
On Sat, 2016-05-07 at 20:45 +0300, Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 07-May-2016 19:50, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > 
> > On Sat, 2016-05-07 at 15:17 +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > > 
> > > 
> > […]
> > > 
> > > Besides, zero is just as arbitrary as thirty-two (which, btw, is a power of two*) and easy to remember if you use it anyway! I
> > […]
> > 
> > 0 is a power of two as well.
> 0 is not a power of two. Any power of non-negative number is > 0.

-∞
2    =    0

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

May 08, 2016
On Sunday, 8 May 2016 at 14:05:58 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>   -∞
> 2    =    0

Don't try this at home kids, several mathematicians died during the making of that equation.

May 08, 2016
On 6/5/2016 22:13, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> The atmosphere here is great, and I'm curious how it feels for those who
> are watching remotely. Is the experience good? What can we do better?
>
> Also: we're talking about the DConf 2017 location. Please share any
> initial thoughts!
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I enjoyed watching remotely, some live, some from the archives. Live stream had some hickups, so when I started hampering I'd go do something else and rewatch the talk on the archive.

As for location: I attended CodeConf Hong Kong last November, hosted at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. It was a great venue and they're very open to hosting similar events! Show Asia some love! I'll chase down the responsible people.

L.
May 08, 2016
On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 14:13:35 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> The atmosphere here is great, and I'm curious how it feels for those who are watching remotely. Is the experience good? What can we do better?
>
> Also: we're talking about the DConf 2017 location. Please share any initial thoughts!
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I like the idea of alternating between Europe and the US. I'd vote for somewhere on the east coast. Or Europe, since that's easier for me.

Atila