On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 17:04:24 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 07:50 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> […]
>> apt-cache search libcurl | grep dev
>
> aptitude search libcurl.*dev
>
> surely. :-)

to be honest, most of the time I would just write "apt-get install licurl" and then look through the rest using tab completion. Doesn't work for more complex cases, but it's often enough.
July 07, 2013
On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 19:51 +0200, John Colvin wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 17:04:24 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 07:50 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > […]
> >> apt-cache search libcurl | grep dev
> >
> > aptitude search libcurl.*dev
> >
> > surely. :-)
> 
> to be honest, most of the time I would just write "apt-get install licurl" and then look through the rest using tab completion. Doesn't work for more complex cases, but it's often enough.

But libcurl and libcurl-dev are likely different packages. Also apt-get really is not as good as aptitude. And aptitude is way better than any of the fancy graphics UI abominations. One up for ncurses and properly managed dependencies so as to get automated removal.
-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

July 07, 2013
On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 18:02:03 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 19:51 +0200, John Colvin wrote:
>> On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 17:04:24 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> > On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 07:50 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> > […]
>> >> apt-cache search libcurl | grep dev
>> >
>> > aptitude search libcurl.*dev
>> >
>> > surely. :-)
>> 
>> to be honest, most of the time I would just write "apt-get install licurl" and then look through the rest using tab completion. Doesn't work for more complex cases, but it's often enough.
>
> But libcurl and libcurl-dev are likely different packages.

yes...?? If you type "apt-get install libcurl" and then press tab, it prints out a list of all package names that start with libcurl.
July 07, 2013
On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 07:01:40PM +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 19:51 +0200, John Colvin wrote:
> > On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 17:04:24 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 07:50 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > > […]
> > >> apt-cache search libcurl | grep dev
> > >
> > > aptitude search libcurl.*dev
> > >
> > > surely. :-)
> > 
> > to be honest, most of the time I would just write "apt-get install licurl" and then look through the rest using tab completion. Doesn't work for more complex cases, but it's often enough.
> 
> But libcurl and libcurl-dev are likely different packages. Also apt-get really is not as good as aptitude. And aptitude is way better than any of the fancy graphics UI abominations. One up for ncurses and properly managed dependencies so as to get automated removal.
[...]

Apt-get manages autoremovals too. Though granted, it's not as obvious how to operate it. But then again, I'm a CLI type of person, so reading manpages is second nature to me. YMMV. :)

But yeah, for package management, I say a resounding No to GUI apps... what happens if, for example, you need to fix a broken X11 installation? Over an SSH link? I still find CLI most reliable, not demanding on bandwidth, and still far more expressive than GUIs. (Well, I guess that's why I'm a programmer. :-P Most "normal" people don't think like that.)

T

-- 
Тише едешь, дальше будешь.
July 10, 2013
More questions related to running on ubuntu. I'd like to have side by side installs of dmd. Eg 2.060, 2.061 ...

I installed using the downloadable packages.

dmd and rdmd are in /usr/bin
druntime and phobos are in dmd, which is in /usr/include

Currently, I have 2.063 installed, and would like to install 2.063.2 alongside. Is there a procedure for this?

I was thinking of moving the "dmd" dir into a versioned subdir, move dmd and rdmd into some other subdir too. Then, I'd have to write a corresponding dmd.conf for each.

Or... is there something easier?
July 10, 2013
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 09:40:57PM +0200, monarch_dodra wrote:
> More questions related to running on ubuntu. I'd like to have side by side installs of dmd. Eg 2.060, 2.061 ...
> 
> I installed using the downloadable packages.
> 
> dmd and rdmd are in /usr/bin
> druntime and phobos are in dmd, which is in /usr/include
> 
> Currently, I have 2.063 installed, and would like to install 2.063.2 alongside. Is there a procedure for this?
> 
> I was thinking of moving the "dmd" dir into a versioned subdir, move dmd and rdmd into some other subdir too. Then, I'd have to write a corresponding dmd.conf for each.
[...]

How do you coax different versions of dmd to pick up a different dmd.conf file? The last time I tried it, all of them insisted on reading /etc/dmd.conf, which, of course, only actually works for one.

T

-- 
"640K ought to be enough" -- Bill G., 1984. "The Internet is not a primary goal for PC usage" -- Bill G., 1995. "Linux has no impact on Microsoft's strategy" -- Bill G., 1999.
July 10, 2013
On Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 19:40:58 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> More questions related to running on ubuntu. I'd like to have side by side installs of dmd. Eg 2.060, 2.061 ...
>
> I installed using the downloadable packages.
>
> dmd and rdmd are in /usr/bin
> druntime and phobos are in dmd, which is in /usr/include
>
> Currently, I have 2.063 installed, and would like to install 2.063.2 alongside. Is there a procedure for this?
>
> I was thinking of moving the "dmd" dir into a versioned subdir, move dmd and rdmd into some other subdir too. Then, I'd have to write a corresponding dmd.conf for each.
>
> Or... is there something easier?

The way i manage this sort of thing is by having symbolic links for all the usual dmd things (i.e. dmd, rdmd, catdoc, dmd.conf etc.), then have a script dmd_select that switches which versions they all point to (which are held in different directories).

Alternatively, you could create separate symbolic links for each version, with different names. Or just rename the executables (not a good solution).

The advantage of all of these is that you don't have to rewrite dmd.conf because the relative paths will be the same for all versions.
July 10, 2013
On Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 20:21:10 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 09:40:57PM +0200, monarch_dodra wrote:
>> More questions related to running on ubuntu. I'd like to have side
>> by side installs of dmd. Eg 2.060, 2.061 ...
>> 
>> I installed using the downloadable packages.
>> 
>> dmd and rdmd are in /usr/bin
>> druntime and phobos are in dmd, which is in /usr/include
>> 
>> Currently, I have 2.063 installed, and would like to install 2.063.2
>> alongside. Is there a procedure for this?
>> 
>> I was thinking of moving the "dmd" dir into a versioned subdir, move
>> dmd and rdmd into some other subdir too. Then, I'd have to write a
>> corresponding dmd.conf for each.
> [...]
>
> How do you coax different versions of dmd to pick up a different
> dmd.conf file? The last time I tried it, all of them insisted on reading
> /etc/dmd.conf, which, of course, only actually works for one.
>
>
> T

Didn't know that's where it was. I think it also reads the one
that is in the same directory as it, no?

That's how the zip packages work in any case.

That's what I decided to do anyways, just use the zips, and add a simlink to the latest version in /usr/bin
July 10, 2013
On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 13:19:33 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> How do you coax different versions of dmd to pick up a different dmd.conf file? The last time I tried it, all of them insisted on reading /etc/dmd.conf, which, of course, only actually works for one.

To quote the website (http://dlang.org/dmd-linux.html):

-------
dmd will look for the ini­tial­iza­tion file dmd.conf in the fol­low­ing se­ quence of di­rec­to­ries:

1. cur­rent work­ing di­rec­tory
2. di­rec­tory spec­i­fied by the HOME en­vi­ron­ment vari­able
3. di­rec­tory dmd re­sides in
4. /etc/
-------

So, if you put dmd.conf in the same directory with the dmd binary, then it'll be specific that particular version.

The bigger problem is your path. If you have multiple versions of dmd in your path, the first will always win. If you want to be able to switch between dmd binaries, you end either having to explicitly give the path to dmd or having to set up some way to switch the version of dmd which is currently in your path (probably by having it be a symlink which you change).

- Jonathan M Davis
1 2
Next ›   Last »