May 10, 2016
On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 08:55:40 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 08:42:08 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 07:25:29 UTC, Mengu wrote:
>>> On Monday, 9 May 2016 at 20:08:03 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> we can also welcome you guys in istanbul :)
>>
>> Sorry, but I don't think it's safe to go there at the moment, thanks to your and our politicians.
>
> Homicide rate is 2.6 per 100 000 inhabitant. That's less than the US (3.8) Hungary (2.7) Taiwan (3.0) Chile (3.1) Estonia (4.1) India (3.5).

Are you talking about the whole country or Istanbul? Anyway, it's not the average homicide rate I'm concerned with, it's the fact that you might happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when a bomb goes off. The thing is that whoever is behind such attacks targets foreigners. And I think most attendees at DConf would qualify as foreigners. No, it's simply not worth the risk, even if it is statistically low in the broad scheme of things, it is much higher than average at the moment.

> You should switch off your TV.

I don't have one. Not worth it.
May 10, 2016
On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 09:00:13 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:

>
> So sad nobody cited Italy as candidate :)

Yes, but where and why?

* Roma
* Milano
* Firenze
* Torino
May 10, 2016
On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 09:02:25 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 09:00:13 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:
>> On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 14:13:35 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> The atmosphere here is great, and I'm curious how it feels for those who are watching remotely. Is the experience good? What can we do better?
>>>
>>> Also: we're talking about the DConf 2017 location. Please share any initial thoughts!
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> So sad nobody cited Italy as candidate :)
>
> Is the community big there ? I'd love to go to Italy, but it has to make sense for DConf :)

I don't think so. I think I've never seen a post by an Italian here except me. I have some clues that the good old bearophile is italian too :)
May 10, 2016
On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 09:21:48 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 09:00:13 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:
>
>>
>> So sad nobody cited Italy as candidate :)
>
> Yes, but where and why?
>
> * Roma
> * Milano
> * Firenze
> * Torino
> * ...

Venice, just because I live there eheh ;)

Andrea
May 10, 2016
On Tue, 2016-05-10 at 08:51 +0000, Robert burner Schadek via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> what about Singapore.
> 
> * pretty easy to travel to from all over the world
> * english speaking

Far more important though, they use UK three pin plugs (BS 1363) for
power.

But then so does Hong Kong. And Ireland.

OK so I have North European computer power cables as well so that isn't a problem.

USA, Australia and New Zealand lead to problems, but then personally I just won't be able to afford to travel to those locations.

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

May 10, 2016
On 7 May 2016 at 01:45, Chris via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 15:26:44 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>
> Russia? There seem to be a lot of people in Russia that are interested in D.

That'd be fun, but there is serious practicality problems for everyone who isn't Russian organising Russian visa's ;)
May 10, 2016
On Tue, 2016-05-10 at 09:19 +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote: […]
> 
> Are you talking about the whole country or Istanbul? Anyway, it's not the average homicide rate I'm concerned with, it's the fact that you might happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when a bomb goes off. The thing is that whoever is behind such attacks targets foreigners. And I think most attendees at DConf would qualify as foreigners. No, it's simply not worth the risk, even if it is statistically low in the broad scheme of things, it is much higher than average at the moment.

Having been in Istanbul during the riots of 2007, I can attest that if you are not near the riots themselves you only notice if you watch the television or read the newspapers. So you just have to coordinate with the riot planners to be somewhere different.

To be honest more of a problem with Turkey for me is the destruction of freedoms and rights that seems to be happening since 2013. What is happening is entirely at odds with trying to join the EU. Though the EU–Turkey deal over refugees is clearly undermining the EU position. 
-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

May 10, 2016
On 7 May 2016 at 00:13, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> The atmosphere here is great, and I'm curious how it feels for those who are watching remotely. Is the experience good? What can we do better?
>
> Also: we're talking about the DConf 2017 location. Please share any initial thoughts!
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

Much easier for Aussies/Kiwis to get to west-coast US, but it was definitely more fun to visit Europe than the states! That said, it's unlikely I'll afford the trip to Europe again. Really hard to justify the cost and extra time out from work >_< (just got home!)
May 10, 2016
On Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 09:19:11 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Are you talking about the whole country or Istanbul? Anyway, it's not the average homicide rate I'm concerned with, it's the fact that you might happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when a bomb goes off.

I went to Tel Aviv in late 2012, around the time Hamas were trading missiles with the Israelis. There was a suicide bomb on a bus a few days before I arrived.

Yet I still had a much lower chance of being caught in such a blast than I do crossing the street and being hit by a truck. Actually being caught in a terrorist attack is a really low probability. Naively comparing the population of Istanbul to people killed or injured in the March 2016 attacks puts the probability of being in that blast somewhere around the same chances of choking on your food and dying.

Chalk me up as not seeing the point of terrorism hysteria.
May 10, 2016
On 10 May 2016 at 03:27, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 9 May 2016 at 15:32:05 UTC, wobbles wrote:
>>
>> I also think it should not only be in a decently cheap location, but also in a location where there is, by default, a high concentration of D users.
>>
>> Berlin fits that.
>> Facebook fits that.
>> Where's the other high concentration of D users?
>
>
> Lots of D user in Japan and Australia. Many scattered around the US.

Japan would be a great destination, it's quite convenient for Australia/NZ, west-coast US, and not toooooo bad for Europeans. But most importantly, Kenji would have no excuse not to come! :P