Thread overview
Best Compiler for Performance
Dec 26
Kangoroo
Dec 26
Sergey
December 26

Which is better for performance and stability in the D language, GDC or LDC? Which one do you prefer for your projects? I know DMD includes the language's new features early but considering its slower performance, I am thinking of switching to an alternative compiler.

December 26

On Tuesday, 26 December 2023 at 08:22:47 UTC, Kangoroo wrote:

>

Which is better for performance and stability in the D language, GDC or LDC? Which one do you prefer for your projects? I know DMD includes the language's new features early but considering its slower performance, I am thinking of switching to an alternative compiler.

For macOS - use LDC (the only nice option for M1 for example)
For Windows - again LDC (there was a project for GDC on Windows, but it is not in “just works” phase)
For Linux - you can try both GDC and LDC. It depends on the type of the code/tools - which will be more convenient, both of them have similar performance.

December 26
On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 08:22:47AM +0000, Kangoroo via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Which is better for performance and stability in the D language, GDC or LDC? Which one do you prefer for your projects? I know DMD includes the language's new features early but considering its slower performance, I am thinking of switching to an alternative compiler.

My usual practice is to use DMD for development because of the lightning speed compile times, and LDC for release builds.

T

-- 
What's the difference between a 4D tube and an overweight Dutchman?  One is a hollow spherinder, and the other is a spherical Hollander.