October 19, 2011
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 08:32:52 +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> and a(n) <snip> XML library.

Phobos has an XML library? You're one of those people who thinks the carrier is a unit in StarCraft II and there was a sequel to Highlander, aren't you? :P

October 19, 2011
I love Tango, because it's like using JAVA to program with Tango, and using C++ to program with Phobos. Java is much more easy to program.
October 19, 2011
"SiegeLord" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:j7kpr8$l58$1@digitalmars.com...
>
Then, you can compile the whole thing into a library OR use a tool like xfbuild (maybe rdmd too, never had luck with that one) to compile only the modules that your program imports.
>

I've had somewhat opposite experience. I was never able to get xfbuild to work with D2, but I've been using rdmd successfully for awhile. That said, there *were* some major bugs in the rdmd's from before 2.055/1.070 that caused problems on non-trivial projects. But those issues are now fixed, so you may want to try it again now.

October 19, 2011
"Trass3r" <un@known.com> wrote in message news:op.v3jlvlcj3ncmek@enigma...
>> Why?  What's the point?  Why not work on Phobos instead?
>
> Well D1 projects could be ported to D2 much more easily, e.g. Yage.

I ported a fair amout of stuff directly from D1/Tango to D2/Phobos about a year and a half ago, and it actually went a lot more smoothly than I had expected. Of course, Tango on D2 would make the process even easier still.

October 19, 2011
"zsxxsz" <zsxxsz@63.net> wrote in message news:j7mmkr$1fm0$1@digitalmars.com...
>I love Tango, because it's like using JAVA to program with Tango, and using C++
> to program with Phobos. Java is much more easy to program.

Heh. The Java-ness of it is actually the one thing about Tango that I don't really like. 'Course, I'm a big Java-hater anyway, YMMV...

October 19, 2011
On 10/19/11, Nick Sabalausky <a@a.a> wrote:
> "zsxxsz" <zsxxsz@63.net> wrote in message news:j7mmkr$1fm0$1@digitalmars.com...
>>I love Tango, because it's like using JAVA to program with Tango, and using
>>
>>C++
>> to program with Phobos. Java is much more easy to program.
>
> Heh. The Java-ness of it is actually the one thing about Tango that I don't really like. 'Course, I'm a big Java-hater anyway, YMMV...
>

Oh what, you don't like getterAbstractFactoriesBuilderFactorySingletonObjectListener?
October 20, 2011
On 10/18/2011 5:07 PM, SiegeLord wrote:
> to use it you'd install the whole thing somewhere on your computer.

That's what I do now with Tango 1.

But if every library I used required separate installation steps (instead of just pitting it in the repository), there would be about a dozen to install.  I want to keep things as simple as possible for my users.

My goal is to make it as easy as:

1.  Install dmd
2.  Checkout Yage from Hg
3.  Run the build script
October 20, 2011
On 10/20/2011 12:38 PM, Eric Poggel (JoeCoder) wrote:
> On 10/18/2011 5:07 PM, SiegeLord wrote:
>> to use it you'd install the whole thing somewhere on your computer.
>
> That's what I do now with Tango 1.
>
> But if every library I used required separate installation steps
> (instead of just pitting it in the repository), there would be about a
> dozen to install. I want to keep things as simple as possible for my users.
>
> My goal is to make it as easy as:
>
> 1. Install dmd
> 2. Checkout Yage from Hg
> 3. Run the build script

Sorry, I don't mean to sound so demanding.  I greatly appreciate your work in porting tango to D2.
October 20, 2011
Eric Poggel (JoeCoder) Wrote:

> >
> > That's what I do now with Tango 1.
> >
> > But if every library I used required separate installation steps
> > (instead of just pitting it in the repository), there would be about a
> > dozen to install. I want to keep things as simple as possible for my users.
> >
> > My goal is to make it as easy as:
> >
> > 1. Install dmd
> > 2. Checkout Yage from Hg
> > 3. Run the build script
> 
> Sorry, I don't mean to sound so demanding.  I greatly appreciate your work in porting tango to D2.

No offense taken. What you're suggesting seems to me a little outside of the scope of Tango specifically. You'd have the same issue with any other 3rd party library in D and in many other languages (e.g. C and C++). This sort of thing is probably best solved by some cpan/ruby gem type of thing that was discussed earlier on the mailing lists (I don't follow them anymore so I've no idea how that turned out).

Now, in principle Tango could get special treatment that you suggest... but I personally would rather have a framework for all (registered) 3rd party libraries.

Also... in principle Tango might one day get a package in some repository (bioinformatics suggested that he would take care of it for Fedora once the port was complete) so at least it won't be as big of a deal there.

-SiegeLord
October 20, 2011
Great stuff!