December 27, 2014
On Saturday, 27 December 2014 at 16:44:35 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> You can't speak about resurrecting language without considering costs of resurrecting the toolchain - unless one wants to write programs exclusively with pen and paper of course.

That's true, because the gap in developping the toolchain accumulated. The alternative would be to stall D2 at the current language state and start D3 with the main target being the memory management pardigm.

I kinda doubt that RC and other management techniques will integrate smoothly into D2. And is not the breakages that I worry about, it is that the language could become a behemoth with many legs and no head. That is, will loose streamilness.

> But I do recognize the troll pattern now, thanks.

With all respect, but you are looking into a mirror while taking it for a window.
December 27, 2014
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 16:50:34 +0000
newbe via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> troll? it doesn't fit your opinion?
> 
> well I won't write anymore - therefore you win.

bingo!

December 27, 2014
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 14:01:50 +0000
newbe via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> yes - please resurrect D1!!!!!!!!!!!
> 
> +100

do you *really* need it? then DO IT.

December 28, 2014
On Saturday, 27 December 2014 at 19:18:04 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 14:01:50 +0000
> newbe via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> yes - please resurrect D1!!!!!!!!!!!
>> 
>> +100
>
> do you *really* need it? then DO IT.

Are you willing to help out, ketmar?
December 28, 2014
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 04:53:51 +0000
via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 27 December 2014 at 19:18:04 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 14:01:50 +0000
> > newbe via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> >
> >> yes - please resurrect D1!!!!!!!!!!!
> >> 
> >> +100
> >
> > do you *really* need it? then DO IT.
> 
> Are you willing to help out, ketmar?

i don't need D1, and i'm not interested in D1. so sure, i can help if the payment will be big enough.

December 28, 2014
On Sunday, 28 December 2014 at 05:06:42 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> i don't need D1, and i'm not interested in D1. so sure, i can help if the payment will be big enough.

Then your comment makes no sense. If people want trim down and refactor D2 then they need to communicate in order to figure out if there is common ground. That is, if one wants to break this cycle of conglomerate solo-projects.
December 28, 2014
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 05:11:35 +0000

> On Sunday, 28 December 2014 at 05:06:42 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > i don't need D1, and i'm not interested in D1. so sure, i can help if the payment will be big enough.
> 
> Then your comment makes no sense. If people want trim down and refactor D2 then they need to communicate in order to figure out if there is common ground.
that's very easy: "hey, guys, i created a site dedicated to D1 resurrection! we have a forum and a wiki, right now we are in the planning stage. join us and help if you're interested!"

it's easy enough, isn't it? i bet that such message will see a warm responses. but "yes - please resurrect D1!!!!!!!!!!! +100" is complete BS. to make something happen just START DOING IT.

December 28, 2014
On Sunday, 28 December 2014 at 05:42:07 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> BS. to make something happen just START DOING IT.

No, there are way to many projects in the D community that goes like that. You need to find common ground, if only 1-2 people want it then you cannot sustain it.

December 28, 2014
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 05:48:45 +0000

> On Sunday, 28 December 2014 at 05:42:07 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > BS. to make something happen just START DOING IT.
> 
> No, there are way to many projects in the D community that goes like that. You need to find common ground, if only 1-2 people want it then you cannot sustain it.

start a site. call for arms. close a site if there will be not enough tension. writing "yes, resurrect D1!" here will do nothing for the project: people just have no place to go if they are interested.

but i see that the idea is already deadborn.

December 28, 2014
On Sunday, 28 December 2014 at 05:55:02 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> start a site. call for arms. close a site if there will be not enough
> tension. writing "yes, resurrect D1!" here will do nothing for the
> project: people just have no place to go if they are interested.

Step 1: figure out what people are unhappy about with D2
Step 2: figure out if there is a reduced feature set that people will be happy with
Step 3: figure out how much work it is to refactor D2
Step 4: figure out how many will be interested in contributing
etc...

Wasting time on solo projects that die is not very efficient. Spending time on figuring things out is potentially rewarding even if one decides to move in a different direction.

> but i see that the idea is already deadborn.

First you need to assess the current state of the D2 compiler to see if it is worth the trouble.