October 18, 2010
I've never understood this syntax, it doesn't play well with the rest of the language at all. ~= makes a lot more sense.

On 10/19/10, klickverbot <see@klickverbot.at> wrote:
> On 10/18/10 9:56 PM, Simen kjaeraas wrote:
> What also bugs me about the current situation (despite the fact that I
> think numeric versions should be removed, but that's another story) is
> that the equals sign to define a new version seems very illogical –
> »version ~= someUserDefinedVersion« would make much more sense to me…
>
October 19, 2010
Dnia 19-10-2010 o 00:20:29 klickverbot <see@klickverbot.at> napisał(a):

> On 10/18/10 9:56 PM, Simen kjaeraas wrote:
>>> * require declarations for all version identifiers. Versions which are
>>> set from the command line should be explicitly declared, eg:
>>> version Lite = extern;
>>> version Demo = extern;
>>>
>>> That would make creating a bird's nest impossible.
>>> And currently, you can make a typo like:
>>> version(Linix) {}
>>> and it compiles happily. I don't like that. Especially when we have
>>> builtin names like D_Inline_Asm_X86_64!
>>
>> This is an awesome idea. ++votes
>
> +1 from me too, this could be one of the key parts of a long outstanding version() overhaul.
>
> What also bugs me about the current situation (despite the fact that I think numeric versions should be removed, but that's another story) is that the equals sign to define a new version seems very illogical – »version ~= someUserDefinedVersion« would make much more sense to me…

I like the explicit version declarations too. My share of bikeshedding:

/** Possible versions of AwesomestApp. */
version AweHome, AwePro, AweSome;

version AweExp; /// Experimental AwesomestApp.

-- 
Tomek
October 19, 2010
On Monday, October 18, 2010 12:24:48 Don wrote:
> And currently, you can make a typo like:
> version(Linix) {}
> and it compiles happily. I don't like that. Especially when we have
> builtin names like D_Inline_Asm_X86_64!

The real question is how to cleanly fix that. A version is defined only if it's in use, so it can't do like variable declarations do and complain that the version wasn't declared. You could even be stupid enough to declare your own version D_Inline_Asm_X86_65, so it's not even like the compiler can necessarily complain when a version declaration uses a version which is almost the same as a correct one but not quite (since you could just not be compiling with that version declared at the moment).

So, while I agree that the current situation with versions and mispelling them is problematic, I haven't a clue how you'd fix it right now. If _all_ versions had to be declared and then only the enabled ones were compiled in, _then_ we could make it work, since the entire list of versions would be known, but that would be a definite departure from how things work now and would likely make it very hard to do version = otherVersion; in your code like you can do now.

- Jonathan M Davis
October 19, 2010
Jonathan M Davis:

> On Monday, October 18, 2010 12:24:48 Don wrote:
> > And currently, you can make a typo like:
> > version(Linix) {}
> > and it compiles happily. I don't like that. Especially when we have
> > builtin names like D_Inline_Asm_X86_64!
> 
> The real question is how to cleanly fix that. A version is defined only if it's in use, so it can't do like variable declarations do and complain that the version wasn't declared. You could even be stupid enough to declare your own version D_Inline_Asm_X86_65, so it's not even like the compiler can necessarily complain when a version declaration uses a version which is almost the same as a correct one but not quite (since you could just not be compiling with that version declared at the moment).

If built-in versions are inside some kind of enum or namespace, the compiler can tell apart the built-in ones from all the other ones, so if you write:
version(std.D_Inline_Asm_X86_65)
The compiler will complain that doesn't exists among the standard ones.

If you want to use your own ones you just don't use the "std." prefix:
version(myFoo)

Bye,
bearophile
October 19, 2010
On Tuesday, October 19, 2010 15:50:12 bearophile wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis:
> > On Monday, October 18, 2010 12:24:48 Don wrote:
> > > And currently, you can make a typo like:
> > > version(Linix) {}
> > > and it compiles happily. I don't like that. Especially when we have
> > > builtin names like D_Inline_Asm_X86_64!
> > 
> > The real question is how to cleanly fix that. A version is defined only if it's in use, so it can't do like variable declarations do and complain that the version wasn't declared. You could even be stupid enough to declare your own version D_Inline_Asm_X86_65, so it's not even like the compiler can necessarily complain when a version declaration uses a version which is almost the same as a correct one but not quite (since you could just not be compiling with that version declared at the moment).
> 
> If built-in versions are inside some kind of enum or namespace, the
> compiler can tell apart the built-in ones from all the other ones, so if
> you write: version(std.D_Inline_Asm_X86_65)
> The compiler will complain that doesn't exists among the standard ones.
> 
> If you want to use your own ones you just don't use the "std." prefix:
> version(myFoo)
> 
> Bye,
> bearophile

That would certainly help with the standard ones, and it could be a very good move to make, but it doesn't solve the problem in the general case.

- Jonathan M Davis
October 19, 2010
bearophile Wrote:

> If built-in versions are inside some kind of enum or namespace, the compiler can tell apart the built-in ones from all the other ones, so if you write:
> version(std.D_Inline_Asm_X86_65)
> The compiler will complain that doesn't exists among the standard ones.
> 
> If you want to use your own ones you just don't use the "std." prefix:
> version(myFoo)
> 
> Bye,
> bearophile

Note that the latest highlighting file for Vim will highlight the known built-in version Identifiers.

I don't have much of a suggestion for solving the real issue, but maybe the compiler could return a list of versions used? Though that brings to question what happens to versions used in side versions.
October 19, 2010
Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2010 12:24:48 Don wrote:
>> And currently, you can make a typo like:
>> version(Linix) {}
>> and it compiles happily. I don't like that. Especially when we have
>> builtin names like D_Inline_Asm_X86_64!
> 
> The real question is how to cleanly fix that.
Did you read my post? I posted a solution to that!
October 20, 2010
"Jesse Phillips" <jessekphillips+D@gmail.com> wrote in message news:i9l935$5ul$1@digitalmars.com...
> bearophile Wrote:
>
>> If built-in versions are inside some kind of enum or namespace, the
>> compiler can tell apart the built-in ones from all the other ones, so if
>> you write:
>> version(std.D_Inline_Asm_X86_65)
>> The compiler will complain that doesn't exists among the standard ones.
>>
>> If you want to use your own ones you just don't use the "std." prefix:
>> version(myFoo)
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> Note that the latest highlighting file for Vim will highlight the known built-in version Identifiers.
>
> I don't have much of a suggestion for solving the real issue, but maybe the compiler could return a list of versions used? Though that brings to question what happens to versions used in side versions.

Clearly, the current version system is a suboptimal design. Unfortunately, given the specific nature of it, it doesn't appear to be possible work around this particular issue. And I don't think it's possible to sidestep it with a library-based alternative either, due to D's apperent inability to have deterministic cross-module global mutable state at compile time (see the thread "[challenge] Limitation in D's metaprogramming").

So I think aside from a pre-processor, the only real way to solve this issue is to redesign the version system to not work on a basis of "defined/not defined". I would certainly be in favor of that, but I suspect it would probably mean a D3 (or at least a D2.5 - "@version" anyone?).

Although, here's another idea that might at least help (athough not nearly as cleanly as a redesigned version system):

There could be a "__traits(allVersionIdents)" that returns an array of all identifiers that are actually used anywhere in the program, *even* ones that turn out to be undefined. Or maybe a __traits that returns *just* the version identifiers that are used but undefined. This list is logically (if not physically) built up *before* any "version{}", "debug{}", or "static if" conditionals are actually evaluated (but after any string mixins, so that might be tricky, if even possible). Then, you can validate that list against all of the identifiers that you expect to possibly be used. There would also be a "__traits(builtinVersionIdents)" to aid with this.

October 20, 2010
On Tuesday, October 19, 2010 16:50:31 Don wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Monday, October 18, 2010 12:24:48 Don wrote:
> >> And currently, you can make a typo like:
> >> version(Linix) {}
> >> and it compiles happily. I don't like that. Especially when we have
> >> builtin names like D_Inline_Asm_X86_64!
> > 
> > The real question is how to cleanly fix that.
> 
> Did you read my post? I posted a solution to that!

Ouch. So you did. I'd read it a while ago and was thinking about it and responded without fully reading it again. Foolish of me. Sorry about that.

- Jonathan M Davis
October 20, 2010
"Nick Sabalausky" <a@a.a> wrote in message news:i9ldub$f7h$1@digitalmars.com...
> "Jesse Phillips" <jessekphillips+D@gmail.com> wrote in message news:i9l935$5ul$1@digitalmars.com...
>> bearophile Wrote:
>>
>>> If built-in versions are inside some kind of enum or namespace, the
>>> compiler can tell apart the built-in ones from all the other ones, so if
>>> you write:
>>> version(std.D_Inline_Asm_X86_65)
>>> The compiler will complain that doesn't exists among the standard ones.
>>>
>>> If you want to use your own ones you just don't use the "std." prefix:
>>> version(myFoo)
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> bearophile
>>
>> Note that the latest highlighting file for Vim will highlight the known built-in version Identifiers.
>>
>> I don't have much of a suggestion for solving the real issue, but maybe the compiler could return a list of versions used? Though that brings to question what happens to versions used in side versions.
>
> Clearly, the current version system is a suboptimal design. Unfortunately, given the specific nature of it, it doesn't appear to be possible work around this particular issue. And I don't think it's possible to sidestep it with a library-based alternative either, due to D's apperent inability to have deterministic cross-module global mutable state at compile time (see the thread "[challenge] Limitation in D's metaprogramming").
>
> So I think aside from a pre-processor, the only real way to solve this issue is to redesign the version system to not work on a basis of "defined/not defined". I would certainly be in favor of that, but I suspect it would probably mean a D3 (or at least a D2.5 - "@version" anyone?).
>
> Although, here's another idea that might at least help (athough not nearly as cleanly as a redesigned version system):
>
> There could be a "__traits(allVersionIdents)" that returns an array of all identifiers that are actually used anywhere in the program, *even* ones that turn out to be undefined. Or maybe a __traits that returns *just* the version identifiers that are used but undefined. This list is logically (if not physically) built up *before* any "version{}", "debug{}", or "static if" conditionals are actually evaluated (but after any string mixins, so that might be tricky, if even possible). Then, you can validate that list against all of the identifiers that you expect to possibly be used. There would also be a "__traits(builtinVersionIdents)" to aid with this.
>

Now that I think of it, it might not even be necessary for the list of used-but-undefined version identifiers to be built up before "version"/"static if"-etc is evaluated:

version(Windows)
{
    version(Oops_This_One_Is_A_Typo)
}

void main()
{
    string[] allPossibleVersions = [/+...+/];
    assert(/+ __traits(allVersionIdents) is a subset of allPossibleVersions
+/);
}

Compiling for Linux will fail to catch the version typo. However, clearly the code is intended to occasionally be compiled for windows, and when it does you'll be able to detect that "Oops_This_One_Is_A_Typo" is misspelled.

But what if "version(Windows)" is misspelled as "Widnoes" which causes "Oops_This_One_Is_A_Typo" to *never* be in the __traits(allVersionIdents) list? No problem: You'll catch the "Widnoes" error anyway no matter how it's compiled, and once you fix that, then you'll get the error with "Oops_This_One_Is_A_Typo".

So I think this could work.

The only tricky thing I see with whole approach is: what to do about libraries that have their own set of possible version identifiers? That would require some extra thought, but I don't think it's insurmountable.

1 2
Next ›   Last »