February 09
On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 01:17:26AM +0000, kinke via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 9 February 2024 at 00:48:47 UTC, kinke wrote:
> > So if wasm doesn't support named sections/data ranges
> 
> Oh well, looks like wasm-ld (i.e., lld) supports exactly the same magic `__{start,stop}_*` symbols as for ELF: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/55839

Oh cool!

But is ModuleInfo emitted when compiling with --fno-rtti? I adapted Sebastiaan Koppe's code to traverse module info at runtime, but I'm getting an empty list... or maybe I missed something, as usual.

On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 07:21:04AM +0000, Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
> Might I direct you to my past efforts of a druntime port? This is a good entry point https://github.com/skoppe/ldc/tree/wasm as it contains the changes for LDC and submodules for Phobos and druntime.

Thanks, that was very helpful!

> I got everything working, except for things that aren't supported like exceptions and fibers.

Hmm.  I wonder if it's possible to implement exceptions without stack unwinding. Like using sumtypes or a dedicated error flag/register under the hood, with the compiler transparently inserting the necessary branches after calling a non-nothrow function.  Would require a major ABI change though, may not be feasible.  But this could be a good opportunity to experiment with alternative exception implementations.

[...]
> The other issue is the GC not seeing all pointers hence freeing too much. As mentioned in another thread this can be solved by spilling the pointers to the shadow stack, which involves either changes to LDC/llvm or doing a post build step. Nowadays there is binaryen which reimplemented the required pass. I haven't been able to test it but others have used it with a similar Böhm GC.

I'll look into it when I get to that point. :-D  Currently, for my purposes, it's Good Enough(tm) to preallocate everything in a setup function and then just use a bump-the-pointer allocator per callback, resetting to last pointer location afterwards. Sorta like a poor man's region allocator. As long as no pointers persist beyond the callback I should be OK.

T

-- 
Ph.D. = Permanent head Damage