James Dennett
Mar 21, 2007
Bill Baxter
Mar 21, 2007
Bill Baxter
Mar 21, 2007
David B. Held
March 19, 2007
A while ago, C++ did the mistake of defining std::numeric_limits<T>::min() with a different semantics for floating-point types than for integral types. That hurt generic numeric code a lot.

D has taken over the same mistake: T.min means the smallest value of the type, except for floating-point types, where it means the smallest positive value.

The right way is to have T.min always return the minimum value (duh) and define a separate property T.min_positive.

The question is, would a lot of code be hurt by such a change?

Andrei
March 19, 2007
Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
> A while ago, C++ did the mistake of defining std::numeric_limits<T>::min() with a different semantics for floating-point types than for integral types. That hurt generic numeric code a lot.
> 
> D has taken over the same mistake: T.min means the smallest value of the type, except for floating-point types, where it means the smallest positive value.
> 
> The right way is to have T.min always return the minimum value (duh) and define a separate property T.min_positive.
> 
> The question is, would a lot of code be hurt by such a change?
> 
> 
> Andrei

No issue here.  In fact, I've never used "double.min" for example - I'm suprised to hear that it's positive.

As much as I'd like to see D embrace camelCase for multi-word things, "foreach_reverse" has pretty much decided that one for us - T.min_positive seems like a good addition to the language as any.  I gather this means that we'll also see a t.max_negative to go along with it?
-- 
- EricAnderton at yahoo
March 19, 2007
> A while ago, C++ did the mistake of defining std::numeric_limits<T>::min() with a different semantics for floating-point types than for integral types. That hurt generic numeric code a lot.
> 
> D has taken over the same mistake: T.min means the smallest value of the type, except for floating-point types, where it means the smallest positive value.
> 
> The right way is to have T.min always return the minimum value (duh) and define a separate property T.min_positive.
> 
> 
> 
> Andrei

PS, the guy you really need to ask is Don.  He seems to be the (if not one of a handful of) math/FP guru around here. ;)

-- 
- EricAnderton at yahoo
March 19, 2007
> 

???
This statement really surprised me. But it does seems to be what DMD does.

The relevant line of the spec (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/property.html [section on floats]):
---
.min 	smallest representable normalized value that's not 0
---
Does "normalized" imply non-negative?

I guess I could have expected this behavior if I'd paid better attention to this line though, since it's '0' that is explicitly excluded instead of negative infinity. (Also, it uses "smallest" instead of something like "lowest")

Obviously.
Since the minimum positive number would be a denormalized value (right?), perhaps a T.min_normalized as well?
(or if "normalized" doesn't imply non-negative, min_normalized_positive, though that's getting a bit long...)

I didn't even know this wasn't already how it worked...
March 19, 2007
Pragma wrote:
> I gather this means that we'll also see a t.max_negative to go along with it?

I was going to suggest this, but then considered that min_positive could also be defined for integer types, while max_negative has no good definition for the unsigned variants.
March 19, 2007
"Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email)" <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> wrote in message news:45FEE0BC.4000407@erdani.org...
>A while ago, C++ did the mistake of defining std::numeric_limits<T>::min() with a different semantics for floating-point types than for integral types. That hurt generic numeric code a lot.
>
>

Isn't this value sometimes also called "epsilon"? I think double.epsilon sounds quite nice :)

L.

March 19, 2007
Am 19.03.2007, 20:13 Uhr, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org>:

Maybe min could take an enum as parameter:

' T.min(positive);
' T.min(negative);

with a default value so that T.min is still valid. Looks a lot more like D and less like PHP :)

-mike

-- 
Erstellt mit Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/mail/
March 19, 2007
Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> Isn't this value sometimes also called "epsilon"? I think double.epsilon sounds quite nice :)

quite charming :)

Luis
March 19, 2007
Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email)" <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> wrote in message news:45FEE0BC.4000407@erdani.org...
>> The right way is to have T.min always return the minimum value (duh) and define a separate property T.min_positive.
> 
> Isn't this value sometimes also called "epsilon"? I think double.epsilon sounds quite nice :)

Epsilon is already used for a related concept:
".epsilon -- smallest increment to the value 1" (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/property.html)
March 20, 2007
Frits van Bommel wrote:
> Lionello Lunesu wrote:
>> "Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email)" <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> wrote in message news:45FEE0BC.4000407@erdani.org...
>>> The right way is to have T.min always return the minimum value (duh) and define a separate property T.min_positive.
>>
>> Isn't this value sometimes also called "epsilon"? I think double.epsilon sounds quite nice :)
> 
> Epsilon is already used for a related concept:
> ".epsilon -- smallest increment to the value 1" (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/property.html)

Huh, I thought it sounded familiar.

So epsilon is such that 1.0+epsilon!=1.0, and the 'min' we're talking about is such that 0.0+min_positive!=0.0 ? I didn't know these were both useful values.... I wonder how they're actually being used.

L.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4