Jump to page: 1 24  
Page
Thread overview
Elephant IDE, not for the faint of heart.
Mar 23, 2005
Charlie
Mar 23, 2005
Ben Hinkle
Mar 23, 2005
Charlie
Mar 23, 2005
Joey Peters
Mar 23, 2005
John Reimer
Mar 23, 2005
Tom S
Mar 23, 2005
Tom S
Mar 24, 2005
Charlie
Mar 25, 2005
Charlie Patterson
Mar 25, 2005
Charlie
Mar 25, 2005
pragma
Mar 26, 2005
Charlie
Apr 01, 2005
Charlie
Mar 24, 2005
Dave
Mar 25, 2005
nail
Mar 25, 2005
Charlie
Mar 27, 2005
nail
Mar 28, 2005
Charlie
Mar 28, 2005
nail
Mar 28, 2005
Charlie
Mar 28, 2005
James Dunne
Mar 28, 2005
James
Mar 27, 2005
Andrew Fedoniouk
Mar 28, 2005
Charlie
Apr 01, 2005
X
Apr 03, 2005
David L. Davis
Apr 04, 2005
Charlie
March 23, 2005
This project is getting too big to develop in isolation any more.  It still has lots that need done but it might be usable.

http://www.thecodebase.com/elephant.html

Some have reported install problems, if it fails to install please report the bug ( on elephant.html ) and include C:\elog.log in the body / as attachment.

Thanks,
Charlie

March 23, 2005
Do you have the sources anywhere as a plain zip file? I don't like running
installers if I can avoid it.
thanks!
-Ben

"Charlie" <charles@jwavro.com> wrote in message news:d1qma7$164g$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> This project is getting too big to develop in isolation any more.  It
> still
> has lots that need done but it might be usable.
>
> http://www.thecodebase.com/elephant.html
>
> Some have reported install problems, if it fails to install please report the bug ( on elephant.html ) and include C:\elog.log in the body / as attachment.
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie
>
> 

March 23, 2005
It's dependent on a commercial third party lib that you'd have to own to compile. Im still debating on wether or not to release the source, installers the only way to go for now, but it un-installs quite nice ;).

Charlie
"Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d1qnjj$179l$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Do you have the sources anywhere as a plain zip file? I don't like running
> installers if I can avoid it.
> thanks!
> -Ben
>
> "Charlie" <charles@jwavro.com> wrote in message news:d1qma7$164g$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> > This project is getting too big to develop in isolation any more.  It
> > still
> > has lots that need done but it might be usable.
> >
> > http://www.thecodebase.com/elephant.html
> >
> > Some have reported install problems, if it fails to install please
> > the bug ( on elephant.html ) and include C:\elog.log in the body / as
> > attachment.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Charlie
> >
> >
>
>

March 23, 2005
This is absolutely great.

"Charlie" <charles@jwavro.com> schreef in bericht news:d1qma7$164g$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> still
>
>
> Some have reported install problems, if it fails to install please report the bug ( on elephant.html ) and include C:\elog.log in the body / as attachment.
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie
>
> 

March 23, 2005
Charlie wrote:
> This project is getting too big to develop in isolation any more.  It still
> 
> 
> Some have reported install problems, if it fails to install please report
> the bug ( on elephant.html ) and include C:\elog.log in the body / as
> attachment.
> 
> Thanks,
> Charlie
> 
> 

Very impressive.  Looks like it's shaping up to be a worthy replacement of DIDE.

Thanks for doing this, Charlie.

- JJR
March 23, 2005
Wow ! Elephant looks great ! I've been using DIDE since the dawn of times, now I'm sure I'll be switching to Elephant soon. Thanks for these wonderful tools. I'm sure it's in heavy development, but I've got a few 'observations' that you may find valuable or not ;) Sorry for repeating things that you know very well, dont kill -9 me.

1. It would be nice if Elephant auto-saved when building the project, just like DIDE did
2. I guess you're creating a new window with the 'COMPILING.' text on it as I press F7. When that window is destroyed, Elephant looses focus; that may be quite annoying. The same happens thing applies to the quick find and replace window. Ok, you probably know that... /me hides
3. Ctrl+C doesn't work for me, while selecting 'Copy' from the Edit menu works as expected.
4. In the 'behavior' tab in Elephant settings I see four checkboxes without any descriptions, just above the 'Projects Default Path' edit box. Do these mean anything or are they garbage that just needs to be collected ? ;)
5. It's not very important, but I'd be glad if I could set the background color of the source edit window. For DIDE I had to make a separate program that talked to Scintilla thru SendMessage :)

Generally, the IDE feels great, I love the new Source Browser. I believe this is gonna be THE IDE for development on Windows

Btw, LOL @ Deathtractors :)

Keep up the good work

-- 
Tomasz Stachowiak  /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
March 23, 2005
"Charlie" <charles@jwavro.com> wrote in message news:d1qma7$164g$1@digitaldaemon.com...

Cool, cool.  I thought that you had just fallen off the face of the earth when you just stopped working on DIDE.  Nice to see that Elephant is a reality :)

Something I find to be one of the most important aspects of an IDE is customization of its appearance.  One thing I can't stand is white backgrounds.  Which I can't seem to change (and which I couldn't change in DIDE either, IIRC..).  Call me picky, but I don't think I'd be able to use this IDE unless I can make the BG black.  It's not hard.  It's just one of the other Scintilla colors.  In fact the code to do it is SendMessage(scintila window handle,SCI_STYLESETBACK,STYLE_DEFAULT,color value);.  Please.  Pretty please.

It's buggy, as can be expected, but I'll have to congratulate you on all that fiddly code completion and folding stuff that I couldn't get my head around when I attempted to make an IDE with Scintilla.

Something that I kind of always wanted in an IDE - a way to "quick compile" a temporary file.  In case you want to quickly test something out without having to make a new project.  Would be great if I could click File > Temp File, type in some code, hit F5 and have it compile with the default settings.  Then, close that file, and it's deleted or whatever.

Your site is hot by the way.  I'm really liking the minimalistic utilitarian design.  ;)

March 23, 2005
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Charlie" <charles@jwavro.com> wrote in message Something I find to be one of the most important aspects of an IDE is customization of its appearance.  One thing I can't stand is white backgrounds.  Which I can't seem to change (and which I couldn't change in DIDE either, IIRC..).  Call me picky, but I don't think I'd be able to use this IDE unless I can make the BG black. 

As for making the BG in DIDE black, check this out:
http://codeinsane.info/code/highlighter/highlighter.exe
(src: http://158.75.59.9/~h3/code/highlighter/highlighter.d)

-- 
Tomasz Stachowiak  /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
March 24, 2005
Nice work!

Thanks,
Dave

> still
>
>
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie
>
> 

March 24, 2005
> Something I find to be one of the most important aspects of an IDE is customization of its appearance.  One thing I can't stand is white backgrounds.  Which I can't seem to change (and which I couldn't change in DIDE either, IIRC..).  Call me picky, but I don't think I'd be able to use this IDE unless I can make the BG black.  It's not hard.  It's just one of the other Scintilla colors.  In fact the code to do it is SendMessage(scintila window handle,SCI_STYLESETBACK,STYLE_DEFAULT,color value);.  Please.  Pretty please.

Ok updated, its in the Editor Settings -> Keywords dlg.

> Something that I kind of always wanted in an IDE - a way to "quick
compile"
> a temporary file.  In case you want to quickly test something out without having to make a new project.  Would be great if I could click File > Temp File, type in some code, hit F5 and have it compile with the default settings.  Then, close that file, and it's deleted or whatever.

For 0.06 :)

Charlie!

"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d1sn8e$ac1$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> "Charlie" <charles@jwavro.com> wrote in message news:d1qma7$164g$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>
> Cool, cool.  I thought that you had just fallen off the face of the earth when you just stopped working on DIDE.  Nice to see that Elephant is a reality :)
>
> Something I find to be one of the most important aspects of an IDE is customization of its appearance.  One thing I can't stand is white backgrounds.  Which I can't seem to change (and which I couldn't change in DIDE either, IIRC..).  Call me picky, but I don't think I'd be able to use this IDE unless I can make the BG black.  It's not hard.  It's just one of the other Scintilla colors.  In fact the code to do it is SendMessage(scintila window handle,SCI_STYLESETBACK,STYLE_DEFAULT,color value);.  Please.  Pretty please.
>
> It's buggy, as can be expected, but I'll have to congratulate you on all that fiddly code completion and folding stuff that I couldn't get my head around when I attempted to make an IDE with Scintilla.
>
> Something that I kind of always wanted in an IDE - a way to "quick
compile"
> a temporary file.  In case you want to quickly test something out without having to make a new project.  Would be great if I could click File > Temp File, type in some code, hit F5 and have it compile with the default settings.  Then, close that file, and it's deleted or whatever.
>
> Your site is hot by the way.  I'm really liking the minimalistic
utilitarian
> design.  ;)
>
>

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4