Thread overview
DIP 1011-extern(delegate)--Formal Review
5 days ago
Manu
August 11
The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1011 [1], "extern(delegate)", is now underway. From now until 11:59 PM ET on August 25 (3:59 AM GMT on August 26), the community has the opportunity to provide last-minute feedback. If you missed the preliminary review [2], this is your chance to provide input.

I'd like to remind you of the purpose of the formal feedback period. The preliminary review was for general discussion and the correction of major flaws. The formal review feedback should be focused on uncovering any flaws that were overlooked in previous stages. This is not the place to debate the merits of the DIP. Feel free to make your opinions known for the benefit of Walter and Andrei, but if you feel the need to debate any points of the DIP, or any of the comments made in this thread, please create a new thread for it. Please consult the 'Review Process' section of the DIPs README [3] for more details.

At the end of the feedback period, I will submit the DIP to Walter and Andrei for their final decision. Thanks in advance to those of you who participate.

[1] https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/615d621636e081af9b18566e9b3dffd9c2f7a14b/DIPs/DIP1011.md

[2] http://forum.dlang.org/post/topmfucguenqpucsbhwi@forum.dlang.org

[3] https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/README.md
August 11
On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 10:45:03 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1011 [1], "extern(delegate)", is now underway.

I see no problem with this DIP.
And even if the usecase is rare, I think it is worth the new syntax (and thereby increased complexity of the language) to be able to do this in a type-safe way.

So: +1
August 12
On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 17:57:30 UTC, Dominikus Dittes Scherkl wrote:
> On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 10:45:03 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1011 [1], "extern(delegate)", is now underway.
>
> I see no problem with this DIP.
> And even if the usecase is rare, I think it is worth the new syntax (and thereby increased complexity of the language) to be able to do this in a type-safe way.
>
> So: +1

+1 from me too. I'm not sure that it will stay rare. This is the kind of feature that can open up a real new class of usage that are not known yet. In short, this feature may bring duck typing to another level.
5 days ago
On 12 August 2017 at 20:44, Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 17:57:30 UTC, Dominikus Dittes Scherkl wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 10:45:03 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>
>>> The first stage of the formal review for DIP 1011 [1],
>>> "extern(delegate)", is now underway.
>>>
>>
>> I see no problem with this DIP.
>> And even if the usecase is rare, I think it is worth the new syntax (and
>> thereby increased complexity of the language) to be able to do this in a
>> type-safe way.
>>
>> So: +1
>>
>
> +1 from me too. I'm not sure that it will stay rare. This is the kind of feature that can open up a real new class of usage that are not known yet. In short, this feature may bring duck typing to another level.
>

 +1, this is awesome. I've been thinking how this might work for years.
Nice work!