July 23, 2007
I've had projects using phobos as I needed a library that only supported
phobos. I've had the same for Tango...
This issue has been raised many times, so I'm not trying to ask phobos vs.
tango here.

TioPort is tango-only, MiniD is now tango-only, and DDL is moving to tango
soon too. For me this means trouble as I earlier had to switch a project to
phobos for the sake of enki in ddl. I guess there are many who have the same
problem.
Tango has a nice page listing compatible projects, but I cannot find any
similar page for phobos...

I guess it's too much work to make support both libraries, so it would be nice to know what phobos libraries are making the switch to Tango-only (and also those who are going to support both in the future).


July 23, 2007
== Quote from Simen Haugen (simen@norstat.no)'s article
> I've had projects using phobos as I needed a library that only supported phobos. I've had the same for Tango...
>
> This issue has been raised many times, so I'm not trying to ask phobos vs. tango here.
>
> TioPort is tango-only, MiniD is now tango-only, and DDL is moving to tango soon too. For me this means trouble as I earlier had to switch a project to phobos for the sake of enki in ddl. I guess there are many who have the same problem.

I'm guessing that many ideas for projects have ended prematurely due to similar problems.

> Tango has a nice page listing compatible projects, but I cannot find any similar page for phobos...

And we can't expect Walter to be in charge of such a page because it would always be horribly out-of-date. Someone can certainly start a page in Wiki4D (http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi) if it's something someone wants to do.

> I guess it's too much work to make support both libraries, so it would be nice to know what phobos libraries are making the switch to Tango-only (and also those who are going to support both in the future).

Have you looked into using tangobos? (http://www.dsource.org/projects/tangobos)

I'm not saying it's ideal (you'd still need to install Tango and Tangobos), but it might be easier than limiting your libraries to Phobos-only or Tango-only. It's another layer to install, but it should make bridging the gap between Tango and Phobos easier. (I think I gave it a quick test, and it seemed to work okay.)

jcc7
July 23, 2007
Simen Haugen wrote:
> I've had projects using phobos as I needed a library that only supported phobos. I've had the same for Tango...
> This issue has been raised many times, so I'm not trying to ask phobos vs. tango here.
> 
> TioPort is tango-only, MiniD is now tango-only, and DDL is moving to tango soon too. For me this means trouble as I earlier had to switch a project to phobos for the sake of enki in ddl. I guess there are many who have the same problem.
> Tango has a nice page listing compatible projects, but I cannot find any similar page for phobos...
> 
> I guess it's too much work to make support both libraries, so it would be nice to know what phobos libraries are making the switch to Tango-only (and also those who are going to support both in the future).
> 
> 

And now, for a shameless plug.

Not every library is supported by DSSS (WINK WINK), but for those that are, the results of the DSSS test suite are pretty telling.

http://dsss.codu.org/results.html

 - Gregor Richards
July 23, 2007
Gregor Richards pisze:
> 
> And now, for a shameless plug.
> 
> Not every library is supported by DSSS (WINK WINK), but for those that are, the results of the DSSS test suite are pretty telling.
> 
> http://dsss.codu.org/results.html
> 
>  - Gregor Richards

Wow, now I am really surprised. How is it possible that my library Doost is compiling successfully with Tango, without a single line effort to port it to Tango?

Magic just happens ;-)

BR
Marcin Kuszczak
(aarti_pl)
July 23, 2007
Yes, that's a nice overview, and this shows that most of them works on both phobos and tango. The libraries I mentioned is not there though.

"Gregor Richards" <Richards@codu.org> wrote in message news:46A4B33D.1010302@codu.org...
> Simen Haugen wrote:
>> I've had projects using phobos as I needed a library that only supported
>> phobos. I've had the same for Tango...
>> This issue has been raised many times, so I'm not trying to ask phobos
>> vs. tango here.
>>
>> TioPort is tango-only, MiniD is now tango-only, and DDL is moving to
>> tango soon too. For me this means trouble as I earlier had to switch a
>> project to phobos for the sake of enki in ddl. I guess there are many who
>> have the same problem.
>> Tango has a nice page listing compatible projects, but I cannot find any
>> similar page for phobos...
>>
>> I guess it's too much work to make support both libraries, so it would be nice to know what phobos libraries are making the switch to Tango-only (and also those who are going to support both in the future).
>>
>>
>
> And now, for a shameless plug.
>
> Not every library is supported by DSSS (WINK WINK), but for those that are, the results of the DSSS test suite are pretty telling.
>
> http://dsss.codu.org/results.html
>
>  - Gregor Richards


July 23, 2007
Aarti_pl wrote:
> Gregor Richards pisze:
>>
>> And now, for a shameless plug.
>>
>> Not every library is supported by DSSS (WINK WINK), but for those that are, the results of the DSSS test suite are pretty telling.
>>
>> http://dsss.codu.org/results.html
>>
>>  - Gregor Richards
> 
> Wow, now I am really surprised. How is it possible that my library Doost is compiling successfully with Tango, without a single line effort to port it to Tango?
> 
> Magic just happens ;-)
> 
> BR
> Marcin Kuszczak
> (aarti_pl)

Unfortunately, the DSSS test suite doesn't yet try to /run/ any code compiled against the library, so sometimes weird magic happens. It's still sort of a "work in progress."

 - Gregor Richards
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home