View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
June 03, 2008
Snapshot 0.6.1
This is sort of an evolutionary release for the installer.  It also adds 
some cool parts I thought were a little lacking.  Chris' DCode editor 
won the bid for a simple editor to bundle in.  It's small and it works. 
 What more could you look for?  I also added Bud, which should help in 
making some older software work.  I also added DAllegro 4.2.2.0, and the 
Allegro DLL files will automatically install to C:\Windows\System32 so 
you don't have to mess around with all that rot.

If there isn't anything in that list (DAllegro, Bud, DCode) that you 
want, I wouldn't suggest bothering to upgrade.  If you want to try it, 
it's available for download on the site:

http://www.fsdev.net/gf/project/dmd-snaps/frs/?action=FrsReleaseView&release_id=113

Also, I changed the downloads to mod_proxy pass through to a LigHTTPd 
server, so downloads won't block page views.  It will also allow for an 
infinite number of simultaneous downloads.  Well, lighty limits to 20K 
people, but for all practical purposes it might as well be infinite.

I hope you find it useful!
June 04, 2008
Re: Snapshot 0.6.1
Cool thanks. It runs good under wine, still have to setup all paths though
and test how dsss operates. Dcode works perfectly. 

I still think tango docs would be useful and have found that dil can
generate very nice documentation: http://code.google.com/p/dil/

The tarball of tango doc in html is about 800 kb, but I'm sure a more
spartan kind of doc can be made that is much smaller.
June 05, 2008
Re: Snapshot 0.6.1
Chris R. Miller wrote:
> Allegro DLL files will automatically install to C:\Windows\System32 so 
> you don't have to mess around with all that rot.

This is actually a problem for me.  The install won't finish because I 
don't have my windows installed under C:\Windows\System32, Its in 
D:\win2\System32.   There are various ways to get windows system32 path. 
 The installer tool your using should have some special path for it.

-Joel
June 05, 2008
Re: Snapshot 0.6.1
janderson wrote:
> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>> Allegro DLL files will automatically install to C:\Windows\System32 so 
>> you don't have to mess around with all that rot.
> 
> This is actually a problem for me.  The install won't finish because I 
> don't have my windows installed under C:\Windows\System32, Its in 
> D:\win2\System32.   There are various ways to get windows system32 path. 
>  The installer tool your using should have some special path for it.
> 
> -Joel

Of course the work around I used was simply to create those folders and 
then copy the files across.

-Joel
June 05, 2008
Re: Snapshot 0.6.1
Chris R. Miller wrote:
> This is sort of an evolutionary release for the installer.  It also adds 
> some cool parts I thought were a little lacking.  Chris' DCode editor 
> won the bid for a simple editor to bundle in.  It's small and it works. 
>  What more could you look for?  I also added Bud, which should help in 
> making some older software work.  I also added DAllegro 4.2.2.0, and the 
> Allegro DLL files will automatically install to C:\Windows\System32 so 
> you don't have to mess around with all that rot.
> 
> If there isn't anything in that list (DAllegro, Bud, DCode) that you 
> want, I wouldn't suggest bothering to upgrade.  If you want to try it, 
> it's available for download on the site:
> 
> http://www.fsdev.net/gf/project/dmd-snaps/frs/?action=FrsReleaseView&release_id=113 
> 
> 
> Also, I changed the downloads to mod_proxy pass through to a LigHTTPd 
> server, so downloads won't block page views.  It will also allow for an 
> infinite number of simultaneous downloads.  Well, lighty limits to 20K 
> people, but for all practical purposes it might as well be infinite.
> 
> I hope you find it useful!
> 

I like the simplicity of DCode for just trying small programs out.  The 
only real thing that bugs me with it is that it doesn't auto save when I 
press F7.

-Joel
June 05, 2008
Re: Snapshot 0.6.1
janderson Wrote:

> Chris R. Miller wrote:
> > Allegro DLL files will automatically install to C:\Windows\System32 so 
> > you don't have to mess around with all that rot.
> 
> This is actually a problem for me.  The install won't finish because I 
> don't have my windows installed under C:\Windows\System32, Its in 
> D:\win2\System32.   There are various ways to get windows system32 path. 
>   The installer tool your using should have some special path for it.

Good grief!  I rationalized not looking up the docs for the System32 location by assuming that there aren't many people who install to locations other than C:\Windows\system32.

Stoopid me.

Oh well... Murphy's law.  The moment I stop assuming the worst, the worst will happen.  In this case, the worst possible is that someone installed to somewhere other than C:\Windows\System32.

I'll make a new installer when I get back home to my build machine.
June 05, 2008
Re: Snapshot 0.6.1
Chris R. Miller wrote:
> janderson Wrote:
> 
>> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>>> Allegro DLL files will automatically install to C:\Windows\System32 so 
>>> you don't have to mess around with all that rot.
>> This is actually a problem for me.  The install won't finish because I 
>> don't have my windows installed under C:\Windows\System32, Its in 
>> D:\win2\System32.   There are various ways to get windows system32 path. 
>>   The installer tool your using should have some special path for it.
> 
> Good grief!  I rationalized not looking up the docs for the System32 location by assuming that there aren't many people who install to locations other than C:\Windows\system32.
> 
> Stoopid me.
> 
> Oh well... Murphy's law.  The moment I stop assuming the worst, the worst will happen.  In this case, the worst possible is that someone installed to somewhere other than C:\Windows\System32.
> 
> I'll make a new installer when I get back home to my build machine.

Well, since my current working set is with Tango 0.99.7 (unstable and 
unreleased) I think I'll just suffice it to say I fixed the script and 
you won't have to use that work around next time.  I don't want to 
release my current development copy right now, since it's got some 
untested material in it that I don't want to release without ensuring 
that it works.
June 06, 2008
Re: Snapshot 0.6.1
janderson wrote:
> janderson wrote:
>> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>>> Allegro DLL files will automatically install to C:\Windows\System32 
>>> so you don't have to mess around with all that rot.
>>
>> This is actually a problem for me.  The install won't finish because I 
>> don't have my windows installed under C:\Windows\System32, Its in 
>> D:\win2\System32.   There are various ways to get windows system32 
>> path.  The installer tool your using should have some special path for 
>> it.
>>
>> -Joel
> 
> Of course the work around I used was simply to create those folders and 
> then copy the files across.

I got mad enough at not having DDBI to do something about it.  I just 
updated to Tango 0.99.7 from SVN and even threw in some custom hacks to 
get Sqlite working.  That involved throwing out all the Sqlite Prepared 
Statement functionality, but oh well.  Just remember to include 
-version=dbi_sqlite and -llsqlite3.lib when you try it.

The new version is uploaded and ready.  I also modified the pathmunging 
script to allow it to work side-by-side with another installation of 
DMD.  Oh, I also modified DWT a bit so that it doesn't emit a billion 
warnings about Tango's FileConst migration.

http://www.fsdev.net/gf/project/dmd-snaps/frs/?action=FrsReleaseView&release_id=114

Hope that makes life a little easier.
June 06, 2008
Re: Snapshot 0.6.1
Chris R. Miller wrote:
> janderson Wrote:
> 
>> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>>> Allegro DLL files will automatically install to C:\Windows\System32 so 
>>> you don't have to mess around with all that rot.
>> This is actually a problem for me.  The install won't finish because I 
>> don't have my windows installed under C:\Windows\System32, Its in 
>> D:\win2\System32.   There are various ways to get windows system32 path. 
>>   The installer tool your using should have some special path for it.
> 
> Good grief!  I rationalized not looking up the docs for the System32 location by assuming that there aren't many people who install to locations other than C:\Windows\system32.

Yeah, the main reason I have windows installed there is that it's like 
the 7th time I've had to re-install it.  So you can blame MS.


> 
> Stoopid me.
> 
> Oh well... Murphy's law.  The moment I stop assuming the worst, the worst will happen.  In this case, the worst possible is that someone installed to somewhere other than C:\Windows\System32.
> 
> I'll make a new installer when I get back home to my build machine.
> 

Great!

-Joel
June 06, 2008
Re: Snapshot 0.6.1
Chris R. Miller wrote:
> janderson wrote:
>> janderson wrote:
>>> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>>>> Allegro DLL files will automatically install to C:\Windows\System32 
>>>> so you don't have to mess around with all that rot.
>>>
>>> This is actually a problem for me.  The install won't finish because 
>>> I don't have my windows installed under C:\Windows\System32, Its in 
>>> D:\win2\System32.   There are various ways to get windows system32 
>>> path.  The installer tool your using should have some special path 
>>> for it.
>>>
>>> -Joel
>>
>> Of course the work around I used was simply to create those folders 
>> and then copy the files across.
> 
> I got mad enough at not having DDBI to do something about it.  I just 
> updated to Tango 0.99.7 from SVN and even threw in some custom hacks to 
> get Sqlite working.  That involved throwing out all the Sqlite Prepared 
> Statement functionality, but oh well.  Just remember to include 
> -version=dbi_sqlite and -llsqlite3.lib when you try it.
> 
> The new version is uploaded and ready.  I also modified the pathmunging 
> script to allow it to work side-by-side with another installation of 
> DMD.  Oh, I also modified DWT a bit so that it doesn't emit a billion 
> warnings about Tango's FileConst migration.
> 
> http://www.fsdev.net/gf/project/dmd-snaps/frs/?action=FrsReleaseView&release_id=114 
> 
> 
> Hope that makes life a little easier.
> 

Just having an installer like this is a huge step forward.  I wish 
Walter would put a link to it in his download section. I wonder how many 
people give up using DMD just because they see a zip file on the website?

-Joel
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home