October 10, 2008
A presentation by Anders Heilsberg on the future of C# that could be mistaken as a deconstruction of D 2 and its feature set: const correctness, pure functions, un/sharing, etc. There is also the mention of interleaving of dynamic and static code, an attempt to assimilate the strengths of some dynamic languages.

http://jaoo.blip.tv/#1324214

D is included in the sides towards the end, along with some other popular or emerging languages, like Fortress.

One point made by Anders, when talking about F#, is how it reverses the trend of variance over invariance (or mutability over immutability, if you will). Ain't the future of "immutable everywhere" blissful (if only we didn't have to type it). Serial language designers and computational theologists rejoice.

Anyway, it's great to see the same powerful ideas being woven into the fabric of mainstream programming. New hybrids, new mutants and in some cases, new monsters.

- Bent



October 10, 2008
Bent Rasmussen:
> A presentation by Anders Heilsberg on the future of C# that could be mistaken as a deconstruction of D 2 and its feature set: const correctness, pure functions, un/sharing, etc.

Nice video. I think lot of those people think that D is backwards: they all think that the future (and present too) of languages is on "platforms" that are based on a virtual machine. Well, D will probably run on the LLVM, so I hope D too will be a little part of the future (once D runs well on LLVM, a stanrdar module can be added to compile functions on the fly, that is to implement the eval() function. And maybe the D language can grow few of the features you can see in VM-based languages).
At that point D may be used as both as Java and C :-) The problem is of course that the future is more in Scala, C#, F#, Haskell, etc, and not much in Java anymore :-)

Bye,
bearophile
October 10, 2008
bearophile wrote:

> The problem is of course
> that the future is more in Scala, C#, F#, Haskell, etc, and not much in
> Java anymore :-)

And who told you that?

-- 
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango
October 10, 2008
Lars Ivar Igesund Wrote:
> And who told you that?

The great grizzly has whispered it to me: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/800/grizzly-bear.jpg

Bye,
bearophile
October 10, 2008
That future of is like the lambda in front of the language enthusiast' - Sorry, it's like the carrot in front of the donkey. Always out of reach for the masses.

Of course C# is the present - in a major way - and probably the future, for the forseeable future. Then there's F#, easy on the eyes and with some potential. There's Scala, it's hybrid, coherent and highly expressive language but somehow doesn't look like a mainstream proposition.

No point going further down the list.

- Bent

' guess who(m)

"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar@igesund.net> skrev i meddelelsen news:gco93f$12jg$1@digitalmars.com...
> bearophile wrote:
>
>> The problem is of course
>> that the future is more in Scala, C#, F#, Haskell, etc, and not much in
>> Java anymore :-)
>
> And who told you that?
>
> -- 
> Lars Ivar Igesund
> blog at http://larsivi.net
> DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
> Dancing the Tango 

October 10, 2008
Bent Rasmussen wrote:

> That future of is like the lambda in front of the language enthusiast' - Sorry, it's like the carrot in front of the donkey. Always out of reach for the masses.
> 
> Of course C# is the present - in a major way - and probably the future, for the forseeable future. Then there's F#, easy on the eyes and with some potential. There's Scala, it's hybrid, coherent and highly expressive language but somehow doesn't look like a mainstream proposition.
> 
> No point going further down the list.

Well, the point is that I have yet to see any large projects in either of those languages (they exist, they're just not everywhere). In Java however, I hear of large new projects every day. I know that there may be geographical differences, but from this hill it looks like companies that build and sell their own software choose whichever language/platform that suits them (and if Windows centric that often is C#), whereas the typical, largish consultant contracts opt for Java.

Statements of what is the future, altogether forget that deployed software control a large portion of any future, such as the shortage of COBOL programmers have shown. New, niche languages isn't the future just because they get a lot of attention in the blogosphere. Most programmers seems to be rather unaware of most stuff discussed there.

-- 
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango
October 10, 2008
No doubt about it. The point was that some of us are donkeys, chasing carrots. ;-)
- which has little to do with mainstream penetration

- Bent

"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar@igesund.net> skrev i meddelelsen news:gcocp6$1o9b$1@digitalmars.com...
> Bent Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> That future of is like the lambda in front of the language enthusiast' -
>> Sorry, it's like the carrot in front of the donkey. Always out of reach
>> for the masses.
>>
>> Of course C# is the present - in a major way - and probably the future,
>> for the forseeable future. Then there's F#, easy on the eyes and with some
>> potential. There's Scala, it's hybrid, coherent and highly expressive
>> language but somehow doesn't look like a mainstream proposition.
>>
>> No point going further down the list.
>
> Well, the point is that I have yet to see any large projects in either of
> those languages (they exist, they're just not everywhere). In Java however,
> I hear of large new projects every day. I know that there may be
> geographical differences, but from this hill it looks like companies that
> build and sell their own software choose whichever language/platform that
> suits them (and if Windows centric that often is C#), whereas the typical,
> largish consultant contracts opt for Java.
>
> Statements of what is the future, altogether forget that deployed software
> control a large portion of any future, such as the shortage of COBOL
> programmers have shown. New, niche languages isn't the future just because
> they get a lot of attention in the blogosphere. Most programmers seems to
> be rather unaware of most stuff discussed there.
>
> -- 
> Lars Ivar Igesund
> blog at http://larsivi.net
> DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
> Dancing the Tango 

October 11, 2008
Bent Rasmussen wrote:
> No doubt about it. The point was that some of us are donkeys, chasing carrots. ;-)
> - which has little to do with mainstream penetration
> 
> - Bent

Read you how not is posting top, enthusiast Forth a you're unless.

Specifically, when you top post, I assume that you simply forgot to write a post while quoting someone else.
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home