View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
November 11, 2009
Go: A new system programing language
Google have made a new language.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s

-- 
Join me on
CrowdNews  http://crowdnews.eu/users/addGuide/42/
Facebook   http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1198821880
Linkedin   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/117/a54
Mandala    http://www.mandala.dk/view-profile.php4?profileID=7660
November 11, 2009
Re: Go: A new system programing language
Knud Soerensen Wrote:

> Google have made a new language.
> 
> See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s
> 
> -- 
> Join me on
> CrowdNews  http://crowdnews.eu/users/addGuide/42/
> Facebook   http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1198821880
> Linkedin   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/117/a54
> Mandala    http://www.mandala.dk/view-profile.php4?profileID=7660

web site URL: The Go Programming Language

http://golang.org/
November 11, 2009
Re: Go: A new system programing language
Knud Soerensen wrote:
> Google have made a new language.
> 
> See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s
> 

It fills the same niche that D is trying to fill:

- Systems programming language with ideas taken from dynamic languages 
like Python to make life easier
- Fast compile times
- Built-in support for concurrency
November 11, 2009
Re: Go: A new system programing language
Knud Soerensen Wrote:

> Google have made a new language.
> 
> See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s

Some of the people in the Go team include Ken Thompson and Rob Pike.

As a matter of interest these people have been mentioned in a few past D NG articles.
Apparently Ken Thompson designed UTF-8.

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=42316

http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D&artnum=43505&header

Justin
November 11, 2009
Re: Go: A new system programing language
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:09:13 -0500, Justin Johansson <no@spam.com> wrote:

> Knud Soerensen Wrote:
>
>> Google have made a new language.
>>
>> See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s
>
> Some of the people in the Go team include Ken Thompson and Rob Pike.
>
> As a matter of interest these people have been mentioned in a few past D  
> NG articles.
> Apparently Ken Thompson designed UTF-8.
>

Sorry if I'm stating something you already know, but Ken Thompson also was  
one of the main creators of UNIX.
November 11, 2009
Re: Go: A new system programing language
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:21:27 -0500, Knud Soerensen  
<4tuu4k002@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Google have made a new language.
>
> See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s
>

I watched the video. The language sounds like a cross between Smalltalk  
and C, but with better concurrency support. I was somewhat underwhelmed,  
but I do think the concurrency features are interesting.
November 11, 2009
Re: Go: A new system programing language
== Quote from Phil Deets (pjdeets2@gmail.com)'s article
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:21:27 -0500, Knud Soerensen
> <4tuu4k002@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> > Google have made a new language.
> >
> > See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s
> >
> I watched the video. The language sounds like a cross between Smalltalk
> and C, but with better concurrency support. I was somewhat underwhelmed,
> but I do think the concurrency features are interesting.

I watched part of the video, though I'm curious enough about it that I'll probably
watch the rest later, esp. if Go keeps coming up around here.  However, for me
personally "normal" static typing is too rigid for just about anything.  I would
never choose a language that didn't either have duck typing or good templates that
basically amount to compile-time duck typing.  I'm not sure how Go addresses this.
November 11, 2009
Re: Go: A new system programing language
Phil Deets Wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:09:13 -0500, Justin Johansson <no@spam.com> wrote:
> 
> > Knud Soerensen Wrote:
> >
> >> Google have made a new language.
> >>
> >> See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s
> >
> > Some of the people in the Go team include Ken Thompson and Rob Pike.
> >
> > As a matter of interest these people have been mentioned in a few past D  
> > NG articles.
> > Apparently Ken Thompson designed UTF-8.
> >
> 
> Sorry if I'm stating something you already know, but Ken Thompson also was  
> one of the main creators of UNIX.

Thanks.  I had forgotten that.  Whenever a new language comes on the horizon, it's
useful to know exactly who are the people behind it.

I tried watching the YT video but, as unfortunately my Three mobile broadband is just so 
s l o w, I stopped after 10 mins. (Anybody thinking of Three in your neck of the woods for broadband forget it.)

Anyway I think the speaker (Rob Pike) said something along the lines that "no new systems
programming language has been developed in the last ten years" and there was no mention
of D (at least that I picked up).  Wonder if they ever looked at D or if Walter knows any of
these people apart from just name?

Justin
November 11, 2009
Re: Go: A new system programing language
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 03:21:27 +0100, Knud Soerensen wrote:

> Google have made a new language.
> 
> See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s

You could take like the first 15 minutes and just replace the word 'Go' 
with D.

I found the way interfaces were handled to be quit interesting, similar 
to how Andrei is doing his range implementation. Not sure if an object 
hierarchy would get in the way of having it in D though.

For those who didn't/can't watch: A function requires a specific 
interface; the compiler checks that the functions are implemented at 
compile-time.
November 11, 2009
Re: Go: A new system programing language
On 11/10/2009 09:02 PM, dsimcha wrote:
> == Quote from Phil Deets (pjdeets2@gmail.com)'s article
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:21:27 -0500, Knud Soerensen
>> <4tuu4k002@sneakemail.com>  wrote:
>>> Google have made a new language.
>>>
>>> See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s
>>>
>> I watched the video. The language sounds like a cross between Smalltalk
>> and C, but with better concurrency support. I was somewhat underwhelmed,
>> but I do think the concurrency features are interesting.
>
> I watched part of the video, though I'm curious enough about it that I'll probably
> watch the rest later, esp. if Go keeps coming up around here.  However, for me
> personally "normal" static typing is too rigid for just about anything.  I would
> never choose a language that didn't either have duck typing or good templates that
> basically amount to compile-time duck typing.  I'm not sure how Go addresses this.

See http://golang.org/doc/go_lang_faq.html#inheritance

"Rather than requiring the programmer to declare ahead of time that two 
types are related, in Go a type automatically satisfies any interface 
that specifies a subset of its methods. Besides reducing the 
bookkeeping, this approach has real advantages. Types can satisfy many 
interfaces at once, without the complexities of traditional multiple 
inheritance."

That, my friend, is duck typing.

Incidentally, with pure duck typing I tend to feel a little bit...naked, 
unconstrained.  So while it's very flexible and allows any compatible 
types to "just work," it also makes it a little hard to define any 
useful constraints in practice.  Smalltalk makes this a tiny bit better 
because of its message passing syntax (the keyword arguments make things 
a little more clear), but I think D strikes a nice balance with 
templates and metaprogramming techniques, while still having some 
type-constrained relationships where they make sense.

-Mike
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4 5
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home