Nov 19, 2009
Sam Hu
Nov 20, 2009
Rory McGuire
Nov 19, 2009
Trass3r
November 19, 2009
Greetings!

How to set value to non-static variable in a static method within a class?

Given below code:

import std.stdio;

class InputDialog
{
	string name;

static string s_name;

static this()
	{
		s_name="";

}

static string getString(string prompt="Please enter a line of string below",
							string defaultValue="your string here")
	{
		defaultValue=dataFromConsole();//console input
		s_name=defaultValue;
		return s_name;
	}

}

int main(string[] args)
{
	string str=InputDialog.getString;
	writefln("You entered %s",str);

return 0;
}

This works.But what if actually I want to set non-static variable name other than static variable s_name in static method getString(...)?
How can I do that?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
Sam
November 19, 2009
Sam Hu wrote:
> Greetings!
> 
> How to set value to non-static variable in a static method within a class?
> 
> Given below code:
> 
> import std.stdio;
> 
> class InputDialog
> {
> 	string name;
> 	
> 
> 	static string s_name;
> 	
> 
> 	static this()
> 	{
> 		s_name="";
> 		
> 		
> 		
> 	}
> 		
> 	static string getString(string prompt="Please enter a line of string below",
> 							string defaultValue="your string here")
> 	{
> 		defaultValue=dataFromConsole();//console input
> 		s_name=defaultValue;
> 		return s_name;
> 	}
> 	
> }
> 
> int main(string[] args)
> {
> 	string str=InputDialog.getString;
> 	writefln("You entered %s",str);
> 	
> 	return 0;
> }
> 
> This works.But what if actually I want to set non-static variable name other than static variable s_name in static method getString(...)?
> How can I do that?
> 
> Thanks for your help in advance.
> 
> Regards,
> Sam

You can't access non-static data from a static method. Non-static data is related to an instance of a class, and a static method is not bound to any instance.

Why do you want to do that?
November 19, 2009
Ary Borenszweig Wrote:

> 
> You can't access non-static data from a static method. Non-static data is related to an instance of a class, and a static method is not bound to any instance.
> 
> Why do you want to do that?

Say I want to implement an utility dialog, InputDialog in DFL which is a subclass of Form,using its static method I can call InputDialog.getString to retrieve a string from the textbox of this dialog  other than create an instance of InputDialog,at the mean time I want to customize the caption text and the prompt message of the InputDialog in the static method InputDialog.getString.But I can't modify Form.text, (form.)TextBox.text  in the static method.Currently I have to  use its non-static version of getString method and create an instance of the dialog each time when I call getString.
November 19, 2009
> You can't access non-static data from a static method. Non-static data is related to an instance of a class, and a static method is not bound to any instance.

Exactly. The only way would be to have some array of instances somewhere to access.
November 20, 2009
Sam Hu <samhu.samhu@nospam.com> wrote:

> Ary Borenszweig Wrote:
> 
>> 
>> You can't access non-static data from a static method. Non-static data is related to an instance of a class, and a static method is not bound to any instance.
>> 
>> Why do you want to do that?
> 
> Say I want to implement an utility dialog, InputDialog in DFL which is a
subclass of Form,using its static method I can call InputDialog.getString to retrieve a string from the textbox of this dialog  other than create an instance of InputDialog,at the mean time I want to customize the caption text and the prompt message of the InputDialog in the static method InputDialog.getString.But I can't modify Form.text, (form.)TextBox.text  in the static method.Currently I have to  use its non-static version of getString method and create an instance of the dialog each time when I call getString.
> 

since non-static data is only created with an instance you would have to use some sort of Singleton or something, I suppose.