View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
January 24, 2011
D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
https://github.com/organizations/D-Programming-Language

We're all learning how to use github, but by most accounts it seems to be the 
best available system for the diverse group of people who work on it.
January 24, 2011
Re: D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
Dear Walter,

I went to the github and try to download the source, I found that
the latest version on github is the old version.

for example:

druntime - Downloads: dmd-2.042
Phobos -   Downloads: phobos-2.046
DMD -      Downloads: dmd-2.046

I think the actural latest version of D should be 2.051.

Why github can not showing the 2.051 version(dmd, phobos,
druntime, and so on.) ?
January 24, 2011
Re: D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
David Wang wrote:
> Dear Walter,
> 
> I went to the github and try to download the source, I found that
> the latest version on github is the old version.
> 
> for example:
> 
> druntime - Downloads: dmd-2.042
> Phobos -   Downloads: phobos-2.046
> DMD -      Downloads: dmd-2.046
> 
> I think the actural latest version of D should be 2.051.
> 
> Why github can not showing the 2.051 version(dmd, phobos,
> druntime, and so on.) ?

I think it is because the tags were never done properly on svn, either.
January 24, 2011
Re: D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
On Sunday 23 January 2011 21:00:21 David Wang wrote:
> Dear Walter,
> 
> I went to the github and try to download the source, I found that
> the latest version on github is the old version.
> 
> for example:
> 
> druntime - Downloads: dmd-2.042
> Phobos -   Downloads: phobos-2.046
> DMD -      Downloads: dmd-2.046
> 
> I think the actural latest version of D should be 2.051.
> 
> Why github can not showing the 2.051 version(dmd, phobos,
> druntime, and so on.) ?

If you grab the source with git, it's the latest version. I don't know how the 
downloads stuff works though - but as you say, it doesn't have the latest 
version. It will likely take some time to sort out all of the kinks of the 
transition though. From the looks of it, very few of the dmd/druntime/Phobos 
devs have experience with github.

- Jonathan M Davis
January 24, 2011
Re: D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
On 2011-01-24 05:26, Walter Bright wrote:
> https://github.com/organizations/D-Programming-Language
>
> We're all learning how to use github, but by most accounts it seems to
> be the best available system for the diverse group of people who work on
> it.

Are we supposed to be able to access this repository? When I enter the 
address in the web browser it redirects to the github start page. If I 
try to clone it I get this error:

fatal: https://github.com/organizations/D-Programming-Language 
/info/refs not found: did you run git update-server-info on the server?

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
January 24, 2011
Re: D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
On Monday 24 January 2011 01:29:33 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2011-01-24 05:26, Walter Bright wrote:
> > https://github.com/organizations/D-Programming-Language
> > 
> > We're all learning how to use github, but by most accounts it seems to
> > be the best available system for the diverse group of people who work on
> > it.
> 
> Are we supposed to be able to access this repository? When I enter the
> address in the web browser it redirects to the github start page. If I
> try to clone it I get this error:
> 
> fatal: https://github.com/organizations/D-Programming-Language
> /info/refs not found: did you run git update-server-info on the server?

That links to the "organization" D-Programming-Language on github.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language is the link to the list of 
repositories. You'll need to go the individual repository for a project to find 
the URL to use to clone that repository.

- Jonathan M Davis
January 24, 2011
Re: D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
On 2011-01-24 10:35, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday 24 January 2011 01:29:33 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2011-01-24 05:26, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> https://github.com/organizations/D-Programming-Language
>>>
>>> We're all learning how to use github, but by most accounts it seems to
>>> be the best available system for the diverse group of people who work on
>>> it.
>>
>> Are we supposed to be able to access this repository? When I enter the
>> address in the web browser it redirects to the github start page. If I
>> try to clone it I get this error:
>>
>> fatal: https://github.com/organizations/D-Programming-Language
>> /info/refs not found: did you run git update-server-info on the server?
>
> That links to the "organization" D-Programming-Language on github.
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language is the link to the list of
> repositories. You'll need to go the individual repository for a project to find
> the URL to use to clone that repository.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Ahh, I see.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
January 24, 2011
Re: D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
On 2011-01-24 05:26, Walter Bright wrote:
> https://github.com/organizations/D-Programming-Language
>
> We're all learning how to use github, but by most accounts it seems to
> be the best available system for the diverse group of people who work on
> it.

BTW, what about the backend in the DMD repository. Is is ok now to just 
fork the repository?

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
January 24, 2011
Re: D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
On 2011-01-24 07:52:24 -0500, Jacob Carlborg <doob@me.com> said:

> On 2011-01-24 05:26, Walter Bright wrote:
>> https://github.com/organizations/D-Programming-Language
>> 
>> We're all learning how to use github, but by most accounts it seems to
>> be the best available system for the diverse group of people who work on
>> it.
> 
> BTW, what about the backend in the DMD repository. Is is ok now to just 
> fork the repository?

There's a big inviting 'Fork' button for that at the top of each page 
which duplicates the repository in your own account (without any 
warning I might add). So whether it's okay or not, I'm pretty sure most 
people who do not closely read the license will assume it is. A Github 
free account is meant for 'open-source' projects after all.

-- 
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin@michelf.com
http://michelf.com/
January 24, 2011
Re: D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github
Walter Bright wrote:
>David Wang wrote:
>> Dear Walter,
>> 
>> I went to the github and try to download the source, I found that
>> the latest version on github is the old version.
>> 
>> for example:
>> 
>> druntime - Downloads: dmd-2.042
>> Phobos -   Downloads: phobos-2.046
>> DMD -      Downloads: dmd-2.046
>> 
>> I think the actural latest version of D should be 2.051.
>> 
>> Why github can not showing the 2.051 version(dmd, phobos,
>> druntime, and so on.) ?
>
>I think it is because the tags were never done properly on svn, either.

It's still possible to add the tags (see
http://progit.org/book/ch2-6.html "Tagging Later") but we'd have to
know the commits used for the releases. I guess there's
no easy way to figure out which commits were used for the releases?

-- 
Johannes Pfau
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4 5
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home