View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
February 15, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
"Ludovic Silvestre" <ludovic.silvestre@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:lgmfvnqiiwxuctpgqsbq@dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
>>
>> In any case, this is one of the reasons I hate the modern web. On the 
>> user's side, content and view have become completely married together. 
>> That's a *huge* step backwards. Thanks to a very large effort put into 
>> standard file formats and general computer-to-computer interop, it used 
>> to be that any content could be viewed in any program, any UI, any style, 
>> any anything the *user* wanted. We had achieved a computing golden age! 
>> But once things moved to the web, that got completely thrown out the 
>> window as interface is now inseparably *bundled* with content once again 
>> (and vice versa - content comes inseparably bundled with the interface). 
>> While model-view separation is popular among webdevs, that separation 
>> exists completely on the developer's side, not the user's side. Of course 
>> in this particular case, it's not quite so bad because there's lots of 
>> different interfaces to the same NNTP server, but still...
> Check out this: http://axr.vg/

Interesting. At a glance, it sounds like it still doesn't address my rant 
above (though I don't see how it could). And I would have preferred to see 
XML abandoned and have a unified language for content and presentation (note 
that doesn't preclude separation of actual content and presentation - I'd 
just like to see them both use a single common langauge...and no XML).

But other than that, it sounds very similar to what I've been wanting to do. 
Definitely worth a closer look.
February 15, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
"Walter Bright" <newshound2@digitalmars.com> wrote in message 
news:jhh0dg$1ah0$1@digitalmars.com...
> On 2/15/2012 2:55 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> That's a tough one... This behavior is part of an effort to make the 
>> interface
>> look good on any screen size. This doesn't include just PCs, but also 
>> mobile
>> devices.
>
> Working well on mobile devices is essential. I was pleased to find that 
> dfeed works well on an iPod and a Kindle Fire.
>
> Mobile devices are also very sensitive to bandwidth, so staying with no 
> javascript and small html files is a big win.
>
> The response on Reddit made one thing really, really clear - people LIKE 
> the high performance of dfeed in a big way. That makes me very, very 
> reluctant to endorse any changes that would slow things down.

(I didn't want to say this *on* reddit, but I think I'm safer here...)

It kinda makes sence that the reddit croud would find it to be notably 
super-fast. Reddit itself really *is* very, very, VERY slow when you have JS 
on. Particularly on pages like that with many posts. And that's even with 
all the ad stuff blocked.
February 16, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
On 2012-02-15 22:34, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Ludovic Silvestre"<ludovic.silvestre@gmail.com>  wrote in message
> news:lgmfvnqiiwxuctpgqsbq@dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
>>>
>>> In any case, this is one of the reasons I hate the modern web. On the
>>> user's side, content and view have become completely married together.
>>> That's a *huge* step backwards. Thanks to a very large effort put into
>>> standard file formats and general computer-to-computer interop, it used
>>> to be that any content could be viewed in any program, any UI, any style,
>>> any anything the *user* wanted. We had achieved a computing golden age!
>>> But once things moved to the web, that got completely thrown out the
>>> window as interface is now inseparably *bundled* with content once again
>>> (and vice versa - content comes inseparably bundled with the interface).
>>> While model-view separation is popular among webdevs, that separation
>>> exists completely on the developer's side, not the user's side. Of course
>>> in this particular case, it's not quite so bad because there's lots of
>>> different interfaces to the same NNTP server, but still...
>> Check out this: http://axr.vg/
>
> Interesting. At a glance, it sounds like it still doesn't address my rant
> above (though I don't see how it could). And I would have preferred to see
> XML abandoned and have a unified language for content and presentation (note
> that doesn't preclude separation of actual content and presentation - I'd
> just like to see them both use a single common langauge...and no XML).
>
> But other than that, it sounds very similar to what I've been wanting to do.
> Definitely worth a closer look.

It looks interesting. But I think it was a mistake to use JavaScript as 
one of the languages.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
February 16, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
By the way: The title in digitalmars.D changes to digitalmars.D.learn when you open a topic.
February 16, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
On Thursday, 16 February 2012 at 14:24:23 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> By the way: The title in digitalmars.D changes to 
> digitalmars.D.learn when you open a topic.

This was caused by a mailing-list user mistakingly replying to a 
thread on dm.D.learn, then changing the destination address to 
the dm.D list. As a result, the thread now contains posts across 
two groups. The same effect will happen with cross-posted 
messages.
February 16, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
On Tuesday, 14 February 2012 at 22:00:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> http://forum.dlang.org/
>
> This should replace the old miserable web interface to the 
> forums.
>
> Thanks to Vladimir Panteleev for an awesome job writing this!

Could you change the link Forums on the sidebar of the dlang 
website to this?
February 16, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 20:52:46 Nathan M. Swan wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 February 2012 at 22:00:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > http://forum.dlang.org/
> > 
> > This should replace the old miserable web interface to the
> > forums.
> > 
> > Thanks to Vladimir Panteleev for an awesome job writing this!
> 
> Could you change the link Forums on the sidebar of the dlang
> website to this?

I would think it would be better to have a page which is similar to what's 
there now (though a dlang.org page rather than a digitalmars.com page which
includes unnecessary C++ stuff) but make the http web interface link point
to the new stuff (and maybe something else to make it more obvious). We
don't want to hide the newsgroup information, only make it easy to find
the web interface.

- Jonathan M Davis
February 17, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
On Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 12:44:22 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:
> An idea to fix this would be to use the CSS3 property 
> "word-break":

Done.
February 17, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
On 2012-02-17 03:06, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 12:44:22 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> An idea to fix this would be to use the CSS3 property "word-break":
>
> Done.

Cool, that works great on the iPhone, thanks.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
February 18, 2012
Re: D forums now live!
After posting it couldn't redirect automatically to the topic 
Instead of having to click on the message "View Message" ?
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home