Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
Sourceforge projects
Oct 14
norm
6 days ago
norm
6 days ago
norm
3 days ago
sarn
4 days ago
Jacob Carlborg
October 14
Hi, everyone.

I develop small library for D language and attempt to publish it on code.dlang.org. Originally, sourceforge project was created. However, when I tried to publish it site show error's message:

Please enter a valid project URL or tuple to a GitHub, GitLab or BitBucket project, such as https://gitlab.com/dlang/dub or bitbucket/dlang/dub.

Restriction on a specific sites and version control is unexpected for open-source project. Is there are any possibility to use sourceforge or non-git repositories?

October 15
On 15/10/2020 2:18 AM, Vitaly Livshic wrote:
> Restriction on a specific sites and version control is unexpected for open-source project. Is there are any possibility to use sourceforge or non-git repositories?

It can be completely expected the current behavior.

Version control systems like git don't provide a standard way via a web server to obtain a compressed archive at a specific commit/tag/branch.

Nor does it provide access to meta-data. Like tags or branches.

You can get this information and archive by checking out the repository, which is more complex to perform and requires the VCS to be installed on the node that does it.

Here are the source code for the VCS suppliers that dub-registry supports[0].

Note: I would recommend heavily to not create new projects on SF, they have been known in recent years to do some nasty stuff with any binaries that you may upload.

[0] https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/tree/master/source/dubregistry/repositories
October 14
On Wednesday, 14 October 2020 at 16:41:26 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> Note: I would recommend heavily to not create new projects on SF, they have been known in recent years to do some nasty stuff with any binaries that you may upload.

I don't host code on it, but I do download stuff from it. Since SF changed hands a year ago, there hasn't been any saliently shady stuff. I feel bad for the new owners, as this well-deserved notoriety will be difficult to absolve.


October 14
On Wednesday, 14 October 2020 at 16:41:26 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 15/10/2020 2:18 AM, Vitaly Livshic wrote:
>> Restriction on a specific sites and version control is unexpected for open-source project. Is there are any possibility to use sourceforge or non-git repositories?
>
> It can be completely expected the current behavior.
>
> Version control systems like git don't provide a standard way via a web server to obtain a compressed archive at a specific commit/tag/branch.
>
> Nor does it provide access to meta-data. Like tags or branches.
>
> You can get this information and archive by checking out the repository, which is more complex to perform and requires the VCS to be installed on the node that does it.
>
> Here are the source code for the VCS suppliers that dub-registry supports[0].
>
> Note: I would recommend heavily to not create new projects on SF, they have been known in recent years to do some nasty stuff with any binaries that you may upload.
>
> [0] https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/tree/master/source/dubregistry/repositories


This sounds like an arbitrary limitation in dub tbh and nothing to do with git. The standard git commands work with SF hosted repos just like they do with github, gitlab and bitbucket.

Git archive will get you a compressed archive if all you want are the files, but why does dub want to do this?

Git can clone the metadata without checking out HEAD if that is all dub requires, which sounds more like what the dub registry requires.



October 15
On Wednesday, 14 October 2020 at 22:21:21 UTC, norm wrote:
> Git can clone the metadata without checking out HEAD if that is all dub requires, which sounds more like what the dub registry requires.

There are several tens public repositories for open-source projects. If SourceForge has bad reputation, project can be hosted by any of these sites. Why limit by three commercial ones for open source code?

Git is most popular system, but Mercurial, Fossil, Darcs have users too. Allowed sites have no support.
6 days ago
On Thursday, 15 October 2020 at 03:33:10 UTC, Vitaly Livshic wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 October 2020 at 22:21:21 UTC, norm wrote:
>> Git can clone the metadata without checking out HEAD if that is all dub requires, which sounds more like what the dub registry requires.
>
> There are several tens public repositories for open-source projects. If SourceForge has bad reputation, project can be hosted by any of these sites. Why limit by three commercial ones for open source code?
>
> Git is most popular system, but Mercurial, Fossil, Darcs have users too. Allowed sites have no support.

I don't think dub needs to support anything but git for now, even bitbucket has dropped support for mercurial.

But I agree dub registry should be able to support *any* valid url that points at any open git repo.


6 days ago
On 10/14/20 6:21 PM, norm wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 October 2020 at 16:41:26 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> On 15/10/2020 2:18 AM, Vitaly Livshic wrote:
>>> Restriction on a specific sites and version control is unexpected for open-source project. Is there are any possibility to use sourceforge or non-git repositories?
>>
>> It can be completely expected the current behavior.
>>
>> Version control systems like git don't provide a standard way via a web server to obtain a compressed archive at a specific commit/tag/branch.
>>
>> Nor does it provide access to meta-data. Like tags or branches.
>>
>> You can get this information and archive by checking out the repository, which is more complex to perform and requires the VCS to be installed on the node that does it.
>>
>> Here are the source code for the VCS suppliers that dub-registry supports[0].
>>
>> Note: I would recommend heavily to not create new projects on SF, they have been known in recent years to do some nasty stuff with any binaries that you may upload.
>>
>> [0] https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/tree/master/source/dubregistry/repositories 
>>
> 
> 
> This sounds like an arbitrary limitation in dub tbh and nothing to do with git. The standard git commands work with SF hosted repos just like they do with github, gitlab and bitbucket.

Dub does not use git commands to introspect what versions exist, etc. It uses web APIs that are provided by the hosting systems. It's just the case that dub doesn't have support for those other systems. If you submit a PR to add sourceforge support, I'm sure it would be accepted.

Here are the objects which deal with the different repository types:
https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/tree/master/source/dubregistry/repositories

> Git archive will get you a compressed archive if all you want are the files, but why does dub want to do this?
> 
> Git can clone the metadata without checking out HEAD if that is all dub requires, which sounds more like what the dub registry requires.

I'm sure also, improvements to dub that allow fetching the info through a git interface would be accepted as well.

-Steve
6 days ago
On 16/10/2020 2:05 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> I'm sure also, improvements to dub that allow fetching the info through a git interface would be accepted as well.

This isn't guaranteed to work (without checking out the repository).

It depends on how git is hosted as well as git on the server and client is configured.
6 days ago
On 10/15/20 11:14 AM, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 16/10/2020 2:05 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> I'm sure also, improvements to dub that allow fetching the info through a git interface would be accepted as well.
> 
> This isn't guaranteed to work (without checking out the repository).
> 
> It depends on how git is hosted as well as git on the server and client is configured.

Sure, that would be a discussion on said PR. My point was, it's possible to address the suggestion "Git can clone the metadata without checking out HEAD". Suggest the mechanism, and get a response.

In a rough guess, I tried git clone -n, but it still downloads all the data of a repository.

-Steve
6 days ago
On Thursday, 15 October 2020 at 15:14:15 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 16/10/2020 2:05 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> I'm sure also, improvements to dub that allow fetching the info through a git interface would be accepted as well.
>
> This isn't guaranteed to work (without checking out the repository).
>
> It depends on how git is hosted as well as git on the server and client is configured.

My apologies I stand corrected, I thought git had the interface to read just all the metadata without pulling all the data.

I still think it is an arbitrary limitation of dub not to support a git interface but I get that it would require someone to put in some serious time on the project to make it happen.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2