Jump to page: 1 2 3
Thread overview
DConf 2014: LAST CALL for submissions and early registration!
Jan 28, 2014
Mengu
Jan 28, 2014
Rikki Cattermole
Jan 28, 2014
Dicebot
Jan 28, 2014
Dicebot
Jan 28, 2014
Rikki Cattermole
Jan 29, 2014
Ali Çehreli
Jan 30, 2014
Mengu
Jan 30, 2014
Ali Çehreli
Jan 30, 2014
Brad Anderson
Feb 01, 2014
Mengu
Jan 29, 2014
John Colvin
Jan 30, 2014
Manu
Jan 30, 2014
Iain Buclaw
Jan 30, 2014
Manu
Jan 30, 2014
ed
Jan 30, 2014
Walter Bright
Jan 30, 2014
Gary Willoughby
Jan 30, 2014
Joakim
Jan 30, 2014
Brad Anderson
Jan 30, 2014
Brad Anderson
Jan 30, 2014
Meta
Jan 30, 2014
Sean Kelly
Feb 01, 2014
Meta
Jan 30, 2014
Gary Willoughby
Jan 31, 2014
extrawurst
Jan 31, 2014
Brian Schott
Feb 01, 2014
John Colvin
January 28, 2014
Don't forget - Friday night is the deadline for both DConf submissions and early registrations.

http://dconf.org

It's safe to say we have a quorum already. Also, the proposals we got are solid. However, we are having fewer submissions, which is a bit of a letdown.

Keep in mind: DConf is literally created in every sense of the word by people in this forum. We're counting on our prominent participants to submit talk/panel proposals. If you're in doubt about your prominence, it's probably bigger than you think! Yes I'm talking about you! We also hope that most regulars on this forum will be able to attend. This is _the_ event to be at if you have an interest in D.

Last but not least, 31 January is not the time to deliver your _entire_ material. All we need is the _idea_ and the _abstract_. You'll have months to finish your talk after the acceptance process.

http://dconf.org

Andrei
January 28, 2014
On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 02:53:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Don't forget - Friday night is the deadline for both DConf submissions and early registrations.
>
> http://dconf.org
>
> It's safe to say we have a quorum already. Also, the proposals we got are solid. However, we are having fewer submissions, which is a bit of a letdown.
>
> Keep in mind: DConf is literally created in every sense of the word by people in this forum. We're counting on our prominent participants to submit talk/panel proposals. If you're in doubt about your prominence, it's probably bigger than you think! Yes I'm talking about you! We also hope that most regulars on this forum will be able to attend. This is _the_ event to be at if you have an interest in D.
>
> Last but not least, 31 January is not the time to deliver your _entire_ material. All we need is the _idea_ and the _abstract_. You'll have months to finish your talk after the acceptance process.
>
>
>
> Andrei

Just in case if anyone wants to speak but lacking ideas, here are some for you:

- You can talk about web development with D.
- You can talk about what are bindings and how to write C/C++ bindings with D.
- You can talk about functional programming with D. (A clojure/haskell vs. D might help)
- You can talk about D vs. Rust vs. Go.
- You can talk about templates and ranges.
January 28, 2014
On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 08:32:19 UTC, Mengu wrote:
> Just in case if anyone wants to speak but lacking ideas, here are some for you:
>
> - You can talk about web development with D.
> - You can talk about what are bindings and how to write C/C++ bindings with D.
> - You can talk about functional programming with D. (A clojure/haskell vs. D might help)
> - You can talk about D vs. Rust vs. Go.
> - You can talk about templates and ranges.

Because I'm unavailable to go (and would love to). I would really appreciate somebody working on a talk for web services.

If I was able to go here is some points I would have done:
* What are other frameworks doing?
* Can we replicate these things in D?
* Iteration times, how can this be improved.

I have worked out how to do it for Cmsed. Which may give somebody ideas. However it requires shared libraries and modifications to dub.
Basically a template depends on a route and model, a route depends on a model. So if a template changes it can independently of a route/model. But if a route changes all three must recompile. Same deal for a model. And this would occur at runtime. Have a manager for the models and templates that allow for it to compile and have it logged (in shared library).
The dub changes basically conclude, copy all string import paths to target directory, given a sub directory. Have all import files for all dependencies provided in the target directory given a sub directory. And a couple directory option like copyFiles.
January 28, 2014
On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 10:24:39 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> Because I'm unavailable to go (and would love to). I would really appreciate somebody working on a talk for web services.

Vladimir Panteleev was going to submit a talk on vibe.d topic, I hope he has actually done that :P
January 28, 2014
On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 10:30:53 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 10:24:39 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>> Because I'm unavailable to go (and would love to). I would really appreciate somebody working on a talk for web services.
>
> Vladimir Panteleev was going to submit a talk on vibe.d topic, I hope he has actually done that :P

By the way one thing we have been briefly talking about with Vladimir is that for next DConf it probably makes sense to initiate an early public discussion for projects and topics with no clear ownership so that one can clear see what areas are likely to be covered and what may need extra submissions.
January 28, 2014
On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 10:34:01 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> By the way one thing we have been briefly talking about with Vladimir is that for next DConf it probably makes sense to initiate an early public discussion for projects and topics with no clear ownership so that one can clear see what areas are likely to be covered and what may need extra submissions.

Ah yes, that would definitely be a good idea. The whole stack of web services eco system is quite large after all.

I've personally been working on the general purpose web service frameworks including ORM side of things. Not really the lower level web server type stuff.
January 29, 2014
On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 02:53:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Don't forget - Friday night is the deadline for both DConf submissions and early registrations.
>
>
> It's safe to say we have a quorum already. Also, the proposals we got are solid. However, we are having fewer submissions, which is a bit of a letdown.

I think the high quality of the talks last time may have scared
people off a little, thinking they aren't good enough!
January 29, 2014
On 01/28/2014 12:32 AM, Mengu wrote:

> Just in case if anyone wants to speak but lacking ideas, here are some
> for you:
>
> - You can talk about web development with D.
> - You can talk about what are bindings and how to write C/C++ bindings
> with D.
> - You can talk about functional programming with D. (A clojure/haskell
> vs. D might help)
> - You can talk about D vs. Rust vs. Go.
> - You can talk about templates and ranges.

Mengü, these are great ideas. I wonder what topic you are saving for yourself. ;)

Ali

January 30, 2014
On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 02:53:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>
>
> Keep in mind: DConf is literally created in every sense of the word by people in this forum. We're counting on our prominent participants to submit talk/panel proposals. If you're in doubt about your prominence, it's probably bigger than you think! Yes I'm talking about you! We also hope that most regulars on this forum will be able to attend. This is _the_ event to be at if you have an interest in D.
>
> Last but not least, 31 January is not the time to deliver your _entire_ material. All we need is the _idea_ and the _abstract_. You'll have months to finish your talk after the acceptance process.
>
>
>
> Andrei

Ticket acquired.

The main page says the early bird deadline is "To Be Determined", by the way.
January 30, 2014
On Thursday, 30 January 2014 at 01:14:59 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
>
> Ticket acquired.
>
> The main page says the early bird deadline is "To Be Determined", by the way.

Forgot I can just do a pull request to fix it: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dconf.org/pull/14
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3